• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gypsy said:

Personally I'd go a fair bit darker at the bottom and graduate it. I found the Vallejo light and dark slimey grime worked wonderfully for this kind of thing...

I just used what I had to hand (Humbrol chrome oxide powder) I might be able to darken up the green by mixing it with a little black or brown powder

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

It seems ages ago you filled in the gaps between the setts but it has made an excellent job and no more twisted ankles.

Thanks Jonathan

I just used a white quick dry polyfilla first and it looked okay until I painted it and found some of the detail was lost

Which is why I coloured the filler instead with just a couple of drops of acrylic paint

Chris

• Informative/Useful 2

My pessimistic half would say paint the bottom of the canal a murky shade before pouring the resin, no matter how good the dye in the resin, because you can't go back and paint the canal bed once the resin is poured!

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

My pessimistic half would say paint the bottom of the canal a murky shade before pouring the resin, no matter how good the dye in the resin, because you can't go back and paint the canal bed once the resin is poured!

Good point! I'll do a little sample/test piece first to be on the safe side 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Chris

I was just about to suggest doing a sample piece first, but you beat me to it.

On the test piece paint the canal bottom with  murky brown and dark green colours and even darker shades up against the banks. Then do one pour of the resin (2mm layer) and see how that turns out when cured.

If your not happy with the result paint on some more murky colours and then add another layer of resin. Hopefully, you should end up with a result to your liking. Oh and dont forget to plug the ends up. You could also use the opportunity to add a few reeds etc to see how you might place them when it comes to doing it for real.

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1

Some more pictures of canal bridges for you.

Stood in the centre of the path my head just about touches the arch and I’m 6’2”. This one is not the tightest.

You can see how the surface was extended outside of the arch but now is broken up. This covering is probably modern though. 

4C0A3465-43D4-4566-8142-FD038A1E0F18.jpeg.3e125e446bf8860b2061a093dfb2f310.jpeg

95BEB90F-CBF2-493A-B358-9A5708B510CC.jpeg.a33ae450927302235294965f036b7d89.jpeg

Behind me in both directions the path gets muddy after only a short distance even though it has plenty of crushed rock/gravel in the surface. 

This is one of the tidiest and least overgrown sections of the West end of the Basingstoke canal in my opinion. It went out of use in the early 30s when the tunnel at Greywell partially collapsed and was not repaired. The trade / use had dropped off according to the information board. There is no path through the tunnel. Apparently it took up to 6 hours to punt the barge through ‘legging it’ against the wall. It’s 1230yds long.

It is no longer navigable by the time this more generous arch is found further West. 

E27C2FA6-E9F8-4151-A097-24C87040D6BE.jpeg.c89da5c634bce5519b30dc186058120a.jpeg

This one is less like your model in shape. 

Edited by richbrummitt
sort the picture positions.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Not sure about this

52C9D8C2-9858-44C1-8ADC-F4D71C71F39E.jpeg.8f08c72074ebbea41d8b195c68662a0f.jpeg

1BFCAC7D-6E4F-4A87-B413-51D7A558348F.jpeg.51131b5d08098a72f00a416417e5c6ae.jpeg

hmmmm

That bend at the right hand end looks tight.  Depending on where you are situated, the vessels using the canal are likely to be in the region of 55-70 ft long, and 7-14ft wide.  Would something of those dimensions be able to get around the corner ?  I've seen a few layouts with canals on, and the narrow boats that they have put on them wouldn't be able to get around the  corners.

The green tide mark looks OK.  I've got a couple of bits of water on Figworthy, for those, I painted the surface in a suitable colour, then went over the top with several coats of varnish.  That gives it some depth, but you end up with dead flat surface (e.g. a windless day).  Neither is finished yet, so no tidemarks as yet.

Adrian

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AlfaZagato said:

Now, let's slow down there, man.   You still need to play with trains on your train set.   Looks to be a little hard to reach any with that.

I’m planning on moving the display case, although I think in reality the locos and stock will probably stay in the fiddleyard

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

Does the canal have to go anywhere?

It could have been cut off by the coming of the railway (Disused in that case) or it could just end in a basin adjacent to the goods yard...

Something like this

EDC2FB29-209D-44B8-9E3A-96BA14CFC32C.png.7a7063be286a0d6ece85ca62c10cbe86.png

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I should have one arriving soon, I ordered a resin one from Anyscale last week

Oh, not another bleeding narrowboat?! :)

I jest - try manoeuvring an offcut c.300mmx55mm for a 'normal' barge through your canal and it'll be clear why there isn't much choice but narrowboats!

...although...if you're ever bored in the future and wanted to turn this

MB25_MASTER-1500x1500.jpg

by Langley (only 63ft don't panic!) into this

Drawing_of_typical_barge.jpg

(by the bargewrights of Honeystreet Wharf, Wiltshire, c.73ft), then that would be fun :)

If you'll forgive my sticking an oar further in (I really am unqualified), perhaps try to suggest a basin opposite the pump house by widening the canal further, and sooner. It could reasonably be quite a sharp angle at the apex, which in turn may allow you to relax the outer radius.

In fact, I might be tempted to give the canal one long smooth curve to contrast the wiggle of the goods yard embankment. Just a thought. As you know I'm already in trouble for having my canal too straight and it's still imaginary!

All the best mate, exemplary modelling as ever

:)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Schooner said:

Oh, not another bleeding narrowboat?! :)

I jest - try manoeuvring an offcut c.300mmx55mm for a 'normal' barge through your canal and it'll be clear why there isn't much choice but narrowboats!

...although...if you're ever bored in the future and wanted to turn this

A barge of those dimensions would definitely struggle

2064180952_canal4.png.ff4fc95f7c797b3502055b769ef21f52.png

8 hours ago, Schooner said:

If you'll forgive my sticking an oar further in (I really am unqualified), perhaps try to suggest a basin opposite the pump house by widening the canal further, and sooner. It could reasonably be quite a sharp angle at the apex, which in turn may allow you to relax the outer radius.

In fact, I might be tempted to give the canal one long smooth curve to contrast the wiggle of the goods yard embankment. Just a thought. As you know I'm already in trouble for having my canal too straight and it's still imaginary!

You are forgiven, the reason for the wiggle was to give the impression that the canal followed the contours of the land but I'll take a look at it

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Another thing to ponder is would they build a recessed area for just one boat, my thought is no as it would be 'fiddly' to get into and costly in construction.

I suggest making the canal much wider at this point so a line of boats could be moored (in theory) and then follow with the canal sweeping around in a single sweeping curve.

Also any user of the canal must be able to have a reasonable view around the corner and allowance for boats to pass otherwise some form of traffic control would be needed.

At the moment anyone passing along the canal would not be able to see if a boat was coming their way under the bridge, you could widen the corner at this point to give a better view.

It is my understanding that though canals where uniformly narrow giving good passing they widened at sharper corners to allow for the turning width of a boat and visibility.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

give the impression that the canal followed the contours of the land but I'll take a look at it

Understood. I think that could still work - if the embankment steepens and looks 'newer' where the yard and canal are closest (the wiggle) then it should look like the canal follows the contour of the land, but the rail yard is flattened from where the railway follows the contour of the land...?

Nice diagram btw, I'm very jealous of those skills!

• Like 1

If you remove the "wiggle" from the canal and it then cuts into the space needed for the railway embodiment, you can always put in a simple piece of retaining wall (plain wall and a couple of angled buttresses.) beside the towpath to imply that the railway came later and space at this point was tight, a common occurrence in built up areas.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, KNP said:

Another thing to ponder is would they build a recessed area for just one boat, my thought is no as it would be 'fiddly' to get into and costly in construction.

I admit that I'm very much out of my depth here, my original thought was the recessed area just serviced the pumphouse for coal delivery. I'm beginning to think I may have been a little too ambitious.

46 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Nice diagram btw, I'm very jealous of those skills!

Thank you, it's drawn on CAD. I'm a design engineer so I do technical drawings every day.......not that it always helps

25 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

......you can always put in a simple piece of retaining wall (plain wall and a couple of angled buttresses.) beside the towpath to imply that the railway came later and space at this point was tight, a common occurrence in built up areas.

I don't quite know how to explain but I didn't really want it too 'built-up' other than the area behind the pump house

I need to step back and have a serious think about how to proceed otherwise I'll end up getting Silvia* the sledgehammer out of my tool box

*anyone else named their sledgehammer after their ex mother-in-law?

• Like 2