• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

That is an excellent result, as you say, a little weathering will be just the job.

Thank you

I am struggling with the weathering, I tried to use weathering powder on a test piece and it looked awful....I’ll keep trying though

7 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I agree with Al Chris. It looks spot on mate.

Regards Lez.

Thanks Lez

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't make the verges too unruly as council length-men in those days did a good job in removing weeds etc, and keeping ditches clear. Pity they aren't around these days, I sure there wouldn't be as many potholes and flooded roads

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Agree with road surface texture, looks brilliant (noted, thank you!) Chris.

A word of caution re weathering - I note that some advice conflicts with what you can see in the photo. You have a prototype for what you want it to represent, so will be able to find plenty of pics to work from. Worth at least a thousand words! I know you know this, but... :)

Top shelf...stuff, as ever. Keep it up!

Edited by Schooner
Go away Freud!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

I wouldn't make the verges too unruly as council length-men in those days did a good job in removing weeds etc, and keeping ditches clear. Pity they aren't around these days, I sure there wouldn't be as many potholes and flooded roads

To be honest the weeds I'll be adding will be a good method of softening the join between the wall and the road and also cover any dodgy areas

7F740782-9052-4CBB-8851-1064D26EC32A.jpeg.83ccc3d3e66ec3fcad1625a3519df979.jpeg.48a7c0e39981fce0b38a0def985cbc80.jpeg

1 hour ago, Schooner said:

Agree with road surface texture, looks brilliant (noted, thank you!) Chris.

A word of caution re weathering - I note that some advice conflicts with what you can see in the photo. You have a prototype for what you want it to represent, so will be able to find plenty of pics to work from..........

As always there is no prototype, just what is in my head :lol:

1 hour ago, Schooner said:

Agree with road surface texture, looks brilliant................Top shelf, as ever. Keep it up!

Thank you

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I am struggling with the weathering, I tried to use weathering powder on a test piece and it looked awful....I’ll keep trying though

If the weathering powder approach isn't working, then maybe try @KNP suggestion of dry-brushing, with a slightly lighter grey than the current surface colour, and brushing from the edges towards the middle, so that the least amount of paint ends up in the centre. As in the photo above, you want the center of the road to be darker than the edges.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

If the weathering powder approach isn't working, then maybe try @KNP suggestion of dry-brushing, with a slightly lighter grey than the current surface colour, and brushing from the edges towards the middle, so that the least amount of paint ends up in the centre. As in the photo above, you want the center of the road to be darker than the edges.

Al.

Thanks Al

Would it also work with a darker colour working from the center out? 

Chris

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

That is an excellent result, as you say, a little weathering will be just the job.

Thank you

14 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I agree with Al Chris. It looks spot on mate.

Regards Lez.

Thanks Lez

Absolutely bang on. It looks just like where the tar is forced to the surface by passing traffic.

BTW. I wasn't suggesting totally overgrown verges, just the normal ankle deep grass, leaves and muck in the space at the bottom of the wall where no traffic could ever run. Your experiment / test piece is bang on depth wise, I would just make it more brown than green at the edge nearest to the road.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I’ve done a little bit more but that’s it now

96026A8F-44D3-43FA-AD1C-6F50DB6BF6E5.jpeg.8c0023d2a3a3ccd7b8ad8858dcf69b82.jpeg

59AB90A3-B1C1-41AF-9A15-5BC3200117CD.jpeg.b1f2dd1d9c91bdb0d9594fa63f9be110.jpeg

747239B3-B241-425A-B98B-16080EC6EE1A.jpeg.a0dbd127aa47ff8f18e965fc443049eb.jpeg

C262AD0B-6192-4FC4-8397-0EB1380B54EA.jpeg.d628c81d600364645a26e87cd63ccc3a.jpeg

I decided to try and add more ‘mess’ with my airbrush

Thats it now though otherwise I’ll spoil it....unless I already have? :blush:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

That really does work. My old art tutor would have said that I have "blurred the edges between nature and the manmade world"... Or some such waffle.

Thanks Rob

I’ve thrown everything at it, weathering powders, talcum powder, dry brushing and air brushing

Don't know what else I can do other than buy some actual tarmac

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

In no way does it look "unnatural"....;) ;) :sarcastichand:

I’m sure someone would disagree <_<

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is viewing height (ie no longer balancing on my toolbox)

DC3E5A84-365A-40FB-B086-44B4B4C5396B.jpeg.d811fce781d5fbbe7ff976016fa107b1.jpeg

so you can’t really see all of the road at operating height

oh and I’ve decided that I never want to do a road ever again, far too stressful because I’ve really had to force myself not to do neat straight lines :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Not being able to see all of the road is a good thing, I don't know if you planned it that way? Just like the railway and canal, it needs to disappear off stage so that the viewer is fooled into thinking that it actually goes somewhere. 

• Agree 3