• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's a relief, for a moment I thought you had been cloned by aliens...

Bus number plates fine. Only motorcycle number plates were different size wise to anything else.

I tried to remove the number plate from the other one using my preferred method of using microsol but it hasn’t shifted it. I’ll have to see if I can find my t-cut in the shed (now there is a task and a half)

Although I’m not that concerned about the number plates as I’m not going to have them side by side so I don’t think it will bother me all that much.....honest :huh:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I tried to remove the number plate from the other one using my preferred method of using microsol but it hasn’t shifted it. I’ll have to see if I can find my t-cut in the shed (now there is a task and a half)

Although I’m not that concerned about the number plates as I’m not going to have them side by side so I don’t think it will bother me all that much.....honest :huh:

Could you just apply the new plates on top of the old ones? perhaps black out the old numbers first to make sure they don't show through.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Could you just apply the new plates on top of the old ones? perhaps black out the old numbers first to make sure they don't show through.

I never thought of that :good:

22 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

what about painting a 1 in front of the 4? or making the 0 into an 8 with a little extra fine painting?

I'm afraid that is well beyond my skill level

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

IMG_2120_Cropped.jpg.ed630eca3795e66b84f8ff8f8eb62b97.jpgJust to illustrate the effect that small quantities can have, this as an example of Austin A30/35s that shows the application of a matt finish followed by pin wash and pigments. In my estimation it is all overdone, so beware. It is easy to add a little more if absolutely necessary, but almost impossible to remove excess without having to start again.

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Photograph added.
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

IMG_2120_Cropped.jpg.ed630eca3795e66b84f8ff8f8eb62b97.jpgJust to illustrate the effect that small quantities can have, this as an example of Austin A30/35s that shows the application of a matt finish followed by pin wash and pigments. In my estimation it is all overdone, so beware. It is easy to add a little more if absolutely necessary, but almost impossible to remove excess without having to start again.

Second from the left looks best to me, Mick.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/12/2020 at 20:41, chuffinghell said:

I’ve only stripped it because I don’t want to get varnish on the glass and I thought it would be easier than masking

F472E1C6-2C34-47AF-BAD5-726D15DBCE5F.jpeg.294bb490af6fc35e447e5ad9bf8b1b28.jpeg

Something to think about, Chris, is that it is possible to remove varnish from some glazing without damaging the latter. In this case it's irrelevant because you have added the driver and needed to dismantle anyway. The use of a wooden cocktail stick and some white spirit will remove both enamel and lacquer varnish from glazing, although I haven't tried it on acrylic varnish (and that's what you have probably used). If you think it might help then there's an explanation here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/21575-a-land-rover-series-1-of-indeterminate-length-step-7-windows/

I hope that it might be of some use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Will this do?

F82BAB01-6BF2-44C0-82E5-14E277690049.jpeg.c87a5fbd53ae5ca153d9116adfd348ed.jpeg

F5FB59DC-E0E7-402E-91E2-D5AA8BC436D0.jpeg.7f417b42dd53f632a7a513ecadee3cb6.jpeg

I’ll look at weathering once I’ve had a tidy up

Indeed it will - and your replacement plates have the correct typeface (can't remember what it's called - "Mandatory" is the more modern version). Makes a huge difference to my eyes.

• RMweb Gold

The satin finish looks just right. Hints at a gloss finish underneath, coated with a light layer of traffic film. The sepia is also good, pure black is too harsh for most things IMO. There's a reason people like Games workshop do a multitude of different colours of washes. :)

• Agree 2