I have always found it a bit awkward looking at true scale trees, I suspect that it's because from ground level don't notice how big they really are.

Everyone is well aware that in 00, 160mm it a mere 40 feet, which is a fairly average height for a British tree. Not much more than half the length of a mainline coach. (70ft = 280mm.) But stand that 160mm on end to create an average Ash tree tends to dominate a scene at first glance. 

Go up to 280mm for a Beech tree and the scale really does seem to go out of the window.

Perhaps someone more well versed in model tree making could offer their thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The trees at the back look great but the big one just looks wrong even if it is more to scale. Perhaps it also emphasises that the other trees are smaller than they ‘should’ be. You were right to question the size and as far as scenery goes I work on the principal that if it looks right it is right.

Brian.

• Agree 5

Exactly, in the small space of a layout, compression is necessary, especially for natural, vertical objects like trees. Manmade objects such as telephone poles are different, the mind knowing that they are tall and cancelling them out mentally. Trees vary and making them a height that doesn't draw attention so that they can be crammed in has nicely disappeared the backscene.

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, 88C said:

The trees at the back look great but the big one just looks wrong even if it is more to scale. Perhaps it also emphasises that the other trees are smaller than they ‘should’ be. You were right to question the size and as far as scenery goes I work on the principal that if it looks right it is right.

Brian.

Thanks Brian,

I’ve just done it by eye, I certainly haven’t bothered to measure them

I won’t be using the large tree, it looks too big to my eyes plus I don’t think it’s a good idea to have a whopping great tree in the goods yard :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Lacquer reds are...distinct.   At least needs a heavy wash, or a satin coat.

As with the scammell the rivets have been drilled out and the lorry dismantled so I can add a driver and apply a satin varnish with the windows removed

6D0F340B-BF44-4D58-8152-26F5D325BD60.jpeg.37bbce2184f9192287b30cbb7c4d951b.jpeg

The rivets were obscured by the axles and as I was unable to remove the wheels from the axles I simply cut them in half with wire cutters (it’s a stationary model so I’ll just glue the wheels in place)

I quite like how the red stands out against the green backdrop

I might have the lorry facing down bank though so you can see the driver

Edited by chuffinghell
Poor smelling and grandma
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year Chris. 

All looking very splendid indeed. 

One can never have too many red lorries. Nice little project. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Happy New Year Chris. 

All looking very splendid indeed. 

One can never have too many red lorries. Nice little project. 

Rob. 

Happy New Year Rob

Thank you, I didn’t want to fall into the trap of having all the road vehicles in GWR livery and I like how the red stands out

On the plus side red is Sarah’s favourite colour

38 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

No fear of dismantling things to put them right.

I like it!

I don’t know about putting the them right but I didn’t want to get varnish on the windows....and it was an excuse to add a driver

Dismantling it also gave me the opportunity to spray the chassis and roof in matt and the rest in satin 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Rowsley17D said:

Great improvement on the shiny look. I'll have to do the same with my new cars.

Thanks Jonathan

I was going to ask you if you think I should also have a ‘right hand bend’ sign just after the bridge as well as your suggestion of a ‘left hand bend’ sign after the goods yard entrance

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Thanks Jonathan

I was going to ask you if you think I should also have a ‘right hand bend’ sign just after the bridge as well as your suggestion of a ‘left hand bend’ sign after the goods yard entrance

I've been trying to look for one of your photos of the whole length of the road. They would have put up a sign on each side of the bend. You might consider double bend signs instead if you think the bend to the bridge is tight enough to be warned about. I must get off here, I've an engine to build!

• Like 1