• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Satin varnished (matt on the roof) and very lightly weathered

I didn’t want it heavily weathered because I would imagine most companies of the day would insist their vehicles are cleaned regularly as they are an advertisement for the company (that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it)

FE7B2027-9AB5-41C2-AF7F-13348DA3C112.jpeg.fb7e6f5843fb274bf068435a155abcc8.jpeg

17838BF1-4C0C-416B-B18D-8A3840569D91.jpeg.b50021387216f3a46ddb9866f65400a0.jpeg

DE54D6F4-8400-4293-BE63-C1E1C775D955.jpeg.834eb6434c5869a7fdc1b40f66389b91.jpeg

you can just about make out the driver

Just need to add a trail of crumbs on the road behind it now....

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

I've been trying to look for one of your photos of the whole length of the road. They would have put up a sign on each side of the bend. You might consider double bend signs instead if you think the bend to the bridge is tight enough to be warned about. I must get off here, I've an engine to build!

I think a bend sign each end of the sharp bend would be okay

601E203D-C3C7-4181-8B41-A4423270F125.jpeg.7cd231f3508616c73be50c423100cc04.jpeg

I’ve avoided uploading a plan view of the road because I don’t think it looks that good in an aerial shot with my wonky airbrushing :blush:

Edited by chuffinghell
Correction of smelling
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

This is all looking very good Chris, you've been busy since I last called in here.

I agree with all the points raised - yes a sharp bend sign at both ends, one near the goods yard entrance, and one near the bridge parapet, and no, don't use the big tree...

I like what you've done with the led rorry  red lorry... the satin just knocks off the "toy" look.

Cheers

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Thanks Al

as far as the satin my car is never shiny :lol:

I’ll have to give it a clean soon because I think it was silver when I bought twelve months ago and not brown :lol:

Saying that it’s only a second hand Fiesta and the lads at work have said the dirt will be holding it together :o

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

We've had discussions about trees, canal banks and shiny road vehicles. Is it necessary to have discussions about road signs? Were there road signs warning of bends in the timeframe of the Warren Branch and is the road portrayed important enough to warrant warning signs?

A. W. Kward-Sowansow

Edited by Mick Bonwick
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

We've had discussions about trees, canal banks and shiny road vehicles. Is it necessary to have discussions about road signs? Were there road signs warning of bends in the timeframe of the Warren Branch and is the road portrayed important enough to warrant warning signs?

A. W. Kward-Sowansow

The Road Traffic Acts and Regulations handbook was published in 1934, and contained design specifications for road signs to be used in the UK.

At that time, even quite minor roads were beginning to have signs warning of hazards, and so it would likely have them in this format:

roadsign.jpg.cc1bae5e1f40bc0458600cafe17cb7ee.jpg

Al.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

7 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

The Road Traffic Acts and Regulations handbook was published in 1934, and contained design specifications for road signs to be used in the UK.

At that time, even quite minor roads were beginning to have signs warning of hazards, and so it would likely have them in this format:

Al.

Agreed. It might be a minor road in modern terms, but 80-90 years ago there was a national program to improve roads and the simple fact that motor lorries were starting to use the goods yard access would likely qualify the use of basic signs.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Al.

I’m modelling mid thirties/early forties and that is the very sign I’m going to look at doing (one as shown and one opposite)

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 04/12/2020 at 15:17, Joseph_Pestell said:

I was watching an old Fred Dibnah programme the other night and he suggested that a motor boat could tow two butties.

It might have the necessary power but surely you would not do it. It would be chaotic at locks.

By the time motor boats were common place 1930's they were normally run in pairs.  The two biggest fleets ,The Grand Union Canal Carrying Company and Felliws Morton and Clayton ran mostly pairs although the FMC did have some boats with smaller engines designed as singles.  The pairs supported families, the butty was home, the motor was additional sleeping.  

Towing two butties is from the days of steam power.  The families lived and worked the unpowered craft and the steam motors operated like locomotives.  The crew of the steamer not connected to the family of the unpowered boat they would work from point A to B towing boats, drop them off and pick up some more for the return to point A.

Unless you are lucky enough to be a canal with double width locks then a pair arriving at a single lock (not part of a flight of locks) would put the motor through leaving the butty to come up second, hand pulling the butty into the lock and once at the same level, open the gate reconnect the towing strap and go.  Leaving the gate open, there was no closing of gates then.

if your pair arrived at a flight of locks, the motor goes ahead and the butty is bow hauled, pulled by hand through the flight.  It is not hard to pull a boat, once it is moving.  There would be strapping posts adjacent to the lock chamber to help the crews stop the boats.

not a problem having no tow path on the premises you want to unload at, in fact it is common.  Some unloaded straight into a building.  Upon arrival you would loose off the tow rope from the horse and coast into position with some thrown lines if necessary.   Upon departure a big shove of the bow will get you a long way across the canal, the long pole for pushing on structures or the bottom will get you further if necessary.  A well thrown line and you are back in business.  Other basin may have roving bridges that meant your horse could cross the canal into the whalf area but that is not thectow path any more.

Damian was right to point out the difference but you can get away with almost anything.

Andy

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I’ve laid out the goods yard roughly, the sidings aren’t as long as originally planned due to the addition of the road but I think it’s workable.

9E76FF09-92C4-44BB-B99E-2993D4ABE744.jpeg.cd5ce40456847d801a98aef2b70ef7a1.jpeg

I didn’t think it is necessary for road vehicles to get behind the sidings as on and off loading would be done this side

If you’re wondering why the baseboard is ‘dirty’ it’s because some clumsy pillock knocked over his bottle of black weathering powder :blush:

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That looks like a decent fan of sidings, bringing the goods shed nearest the gate is quite prototypical.

You also have ended up with 33% more sidings than I, ( and a b****y engine shed!) plus it looks like you have plenty of yard space for turning vehicles.

You didn't need to explain the dirt as anything other than "preemptive weathering".:jester:

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That looks like a decent fan of sidings, bringing the goods shed nearest the gate is quite prototypical.

You also have ended up with 33% more sidings than I, ( and a b****y engine shed!) plus it looks like you have plenty of yard space for turning vehicles.

You didn't need to explain the dirt as anything other than "preemptive weathering".:jester:

Thanks Rob

I just need to design my goods shed, I’m planning to draw one based on the Ratio N gauge goods shed

2A8705D1-63F4-46B5-9F4A-6D5952D06D39.jpeg.29b60c0c2db6bff9628212baaaae5bb0.jpeg

Its a shame Ratio doesn’t do this shed in OO gauge

It will tie in nicely with my engine shed and pump house

C2D0CCE6-CAB2-433A-9DA7-F3C23D743920.jpeg.464b25d8d50406c696e0397b815c69ef.jpeg

FB169359-02C3-41F4-A7F1-347DCAEAD626.jpeg.93af31f6d8323c6256a9eed4a69352c5.jpeg

It might take me a while though

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 12

I think that you have kicked a problem that is as old as model trains dimly up the backside. Maybe you should name that The Bishop Brennan Bridge....

Ratio did at one time in the 90s do a similar goods shed to the 2mm one. I had one, but it still looked a bit train set to me. I dismantled it, threw away the walls, which is what irritated me and made a Watlington-esque one out of Wills and Slater's clapboard and used the excellent Ratio details.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Thanks Rob

I just need to design my goods shed, I’m planning to draw one based on the Ratio N gauge goods shed

2A8705D1-63F4-46B5-9F4A-6D5952D06D39.jpeg.29b60c0c2db6bff9628212baaaae5bb0.jpeg

Its a shame Ratio doesn’t do this shed in OO gauge

It will tie in nicely with my engine shed and pump house

C2D0CCE6-CAB2-433A-9DA7-F3C23D743920.jpeg.464b25d8d50406c696e0397b815c69ef.jpeg

FB169359-02C3-41F4-A7F1-347DCAEAD626.jpeg.93af31f6d8323c6256a9eed4a69352c5.jpeg

It might take me a while though

Hi Chris

Have you considered the Wills kit https://peco-uk.com/collections/4mm-oo/products/goods-shed-bank-and-crane 

Looks about the appropriate size and is in stone, also comes with loading bank and crane.

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, MAP66 said:

Hi Chris

Have you considered the Wills kit https://peco-uk.com/collections/4mm-oo/products/goods-shed-bank-and-crane 

Looks about the appropriate size and is in stone, also comes with loading bank and crane.

I did but after looking into it being the ‘craftsman’ series it’s basically scratch building as the ‘kit’ contains uncut sheets of wills walling etc

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I did but after looking into it being the ‘craftsman’ series it’s basically scratch building as the ‘kit’ contains uncut sheets of wills walling etc

I think you do get paper cutting templates included to make life easier when cutting from the sheets and there is some design flexibility if needed.

So not too different from assembling a standard plastic kit. I do understand however, that its not to everyone's taste and with the drawing design skills you possess, then I think your making the right decision. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MAP66 said:

I think you do get paper cutting templates included to make life easier when cutting from the sheets and there is some design flexibility if needed.

So not too different from assembling a standard plastic kit. I do understand however, that its not to everyone's taste and with the drawing design skills you possess, then I think your making the right decision. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

I don’t think I’m confident enough to scratch build just yet but I’m sure it’s something I’ll tackle one day

• Friendly/supportive 4

I've had that before, it came up regularly at one point. I think it's kosher, I hit the manage options and ticked no. Unfortunately there's not a #### off and stop pestering me option.

Chances are that once you visit any website they have your digital fingerprint whether you like it or not.

I never click on any of the pop up ads. On the rare occasion that an advert interests me I go direct to the website. I don't trust the hosts of pop-up ads etc to be anything other than information harvesters.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s just bugging me because I’m not a fan of technology at the best of times so anything different than normal worries me (because I don’t understand it :blush:)

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3