• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I look forward to seeing that. I sense some extreme kit bashing about to happen. ;)

Unfortunately not, sorry to disappoint but I've cheated and used the drawings I did for the pump house...

pumphouse.jpeg.c2e03d357c7a78dc070e2f4b3aee76be.jpeg

....to create the goods shed (based on the Ratio N gauge version)

gs3.png.03b3def835d78d183f0faedce43e7484.png

As before I have designed it to use the Ratio Windows and brick arches

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold

Instead of being a direct copy of the Ratio N gauge shed.......

nggs.png.bd69934db917ce4dab27c855b6896a6e.png

.......I intend to build a platform around it to include the facility for end loading and a crane

gs2d.png.7f84abfe64ce3cc149709bb252073b00.png

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 19

9 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Unfortunately not, sorry to disappoint but I've cheated and used the drawings I did for the pump house...

pumphouse.jpeg.c2e03d357c7a78dc070e2f4b3aee76be.jpeg

....to create the goods shed (based on the Ratio N gauge version)

gs3.png.03b3def835d78d183f0faedce43e7484.png

As before I have designed it to use the Ratio Windows and brick arches

Stonkin eck Chris, that's going to look superb mate.:good:

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Stonkin eck Chris, that's going to look superb mate.:good:

Thanks Andy

Not as acceptable as scratch building to some I would imagine (because I’m cheatIng) but I’m using my ‘skills?’ as a draughtsman

Still quite a bit to finish off

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like scratch building to me Chris. If you've marked out the material and cut it out yourself I reckon that qualifies mate. It don't matter where you get the drawing from and if you use windows and doors that's just a helping hand in my book. I have a partly built MR 156 class on my shelf, I'm using Gibson frames, wheels and boiler fittings and as far as I'm concerned it's scratch built. Well it will be if I ever finish it.

20180715_231446.jpg.b6ffef6c87a0f4881d899b0359f4de04.jpg

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Definitely not cheating - It's using the skills available to you. Scratchbuilding (to me at least) just means making something yourself, rather than just buying and assembling a kit - it doesn't matter what tools and techniques you use. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I would say that it's anything but cheating, you even have to design the material and have the ability to operate the machine that produces them. So you're going a step further than those of us who start supposedly from scratch with ready made building materials, the only tricky and time consuming part of which is cutting out for doors and windows. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I don't think that there's any cheating going on here at all, whether it's in inverted commas or not. I took a look at Wikipedia to see what they thought about the subject:

"Cheating generally describes various actions designed to subvert rules in order to obtain unfair advantages."

"A person described as a "cheat" doesn't necessarily cheat all the time, but rather, relies on deceitful tactics to the point of acquiring a reputation for it."

I see no trace of subversion (everything is above board :jester: ) nor do I see any deceit, although there might be some reputations under question. :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Whether it's train operations, loco construction or scenery. We all live this hobby for different reasons. And we all have different goals and abilities also. This is very apparent in model clubs, where various 'experts' are available. But it's quite challenging when you're tasked with doing everything yourself.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Does that include steps/ramps/offices/lean-to/roof/track/paint/people/sacks/boxes/../../../.. ?

I’ll be doing steps and maybe an office 

I've purposely drawn it to the same dimensions as the ratio OO gauge engine shed so I can use the windows, arches, roof and gutters etc from the engine shed kit as I managed to get one very cheap* off of a well known auction site

*very cheap because it’s a pre-owned kit with missing parts but everything I need is there

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ll be doing steps and maybe an office 

I've purposely drawn it to the same dimensions as the ratio OO gauge engine shed so I can use the windows, arches, roof and gutters etc from the engine shed kit as I managed to get one very cheap* off of a well known auction site

*very cheap because it’s a pre-owned kit with missing parts but everything I need is there

My question was just a little bit tongue-in-cheek, Chris. I fully expect that everything will be catered for in the fullness of time.

I am impressed by the way that you consider everything so very carefully before taking any action. I tend to get carried away (not far enough, some people say) once I start with an idea, and end up having to start again because things weren't thought through enough in the beginning. I ought to have learnt by now, because the people whose work I like on RMweb all seem to plan very carefully first.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Would it be feasible to keep this as just an access door.....

4DCBD3B5-A140-422B-9D06-FDE87FDAF093.jpeg.4722cfab2f6c904f87b652057d7053c8.jpeg

....or should I make it in to an office area? my reservations being that it reduces the off loading area and you probably won’t be able to see much of it from the outside....

6102EDE4-2F9D-4E3B-9AEE-98873CEA795B.jpeg.3830ff59d6ed8c9844071c316f823bc7.jpeg

.... I’m still considering having an adjoining building the other end for a weigh bridge hut though

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Some goods sheds had the office as a wooden structure inside one corner of the building.

Others have a one or two storey external office / valuables store.

Just to prove that there's a prototype for everything, Tetbury had a two storey extension with the weighbridge office attached to it.

4815705_607e6158.jpg.cbf412e6c516ac653252fd0741beec47.jpg

Shed1963.jpg.98e67946d4ebee46c1467b3f1b4f9427.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Ponthir28 said:

I would do a office out side....keep the door as a internal entrance to the goods shed.

That’s what I’m thinking

3 minutes ago, Ponthir28 said:

......know it that is GWR practice?

Me neither but there is no reason why it can’t become ‘Warren Branch’ practice 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I would agree with others that the building could have a lean-too office tacked on one end.

Bakewell was like that - originally had a timber partitioned off area as an office, but then as it got busier they removed it and stuck a corrugated iron office on the outside.

Interior Office:

1677884736_2170interiorofBakewellgoodshedshowingboxvan18867StanRobertscollection.jpg.a45f3e7e8480b32126b9dba2a593dbee.jpg

Copyright Stan Roberts Collection used with permission

External Office:

1392491863_2166RowsleyendofBakewellgoodsshedandofficeMarch1967StanRobertscollection.jpg.d6fad90a2ebdcb54d2c4aeaec07e89f7.jpg

Copyright Stan Roberts Collection used with permission

Al.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

That’s what I’m thinking

Me neither but there is no reason why it can’t become ‘Warren Branch’ practice 

Was the Warren Branch built by the GWR, or acquired by them at a later stage.  If the latter, then structures could have been built by the Warren Railway Company to whatever design suited them.  Figworthy was built by the West Of England Railway Company, but was taken over by the GWR when they ran out of money.

Adrian

• Like 4