• RMweb Gold

There's WAS a Mike's Models GWR light yard crane going on your favourite auction site:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/MIKES-MODELS-GWR-LIGHT-YARD-CRANE-KITBUILT-No-36-WHITE-METAL-EM-P4-FINESCALE-/152876808180

But I now find out it was sold some time ago, sorry.

Edited by Rowsley17D
Correcting wrong info
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Actually, it's both. It seems that Peco is marketing Ratio amongst others now.

They seem to be having something of a reshuffle of their various ranges (Peco, Ratio, Wills, Parkside) so quite a few kits aren't where they used to be!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

That was a bit worrying, being quoted consecutively on the same thread. I was afraid that people might get the dangerously wrong impression that I know what I am talking about.

As a friend of mine regretted saying: "I've been stabbed, shot and blown up and I'm still here. I must be doing something right!" 

To which his other half and mine replied: "Not necessarily...." 

Before falling about laughing like a pair of cheeky kids.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

If I remove the end man access door would it be feasible to have an internal sliding door each end (even with the apertures arched)

If so I’ll obviously have to have a gap between the platform and wall

159BA5B8-DE29-4082-B3D1-7F5957284706.jpeg.c92cd2d78816932c2cece5ebb6cd8fb3.jpeg

Hinged doors would obstruct the platform and possibly obstruct the view into the shed

Any help would be appreciated

Edited by chuffinghell

You could possibly do something like that at Watlington. The 'plain' end had a sliding door, albeit externally hung and the end with the external office had a hinged door that swung outwards. Both doors were of vertical slats to save weight. I know that isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it was the first thought I had because I have the urge to build a wooden goods shed and have been looking at a number of photos.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

If I remove the end man access door would it be feasible to have an internal sliding door each end (even with the apertures arched)

If so I’ll obviously have to have a gap between the platform and wall

159BA5B8-DE29-4082-B3D1-7F5957284706.jpeg.c92cd2d78816932c2cece5ebb6cd8fb3.jpeg

Hinged doors would obstruct the platform and possibly obstruct the view into the shed

Any help would be appreciated

Look for Dunster goods shed on the web.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Interesting.

Dunster_goods_shed.jpg.3a4ea7888c0419b1fdebf8349aae6036.jpg

I suspect that it inspired this model by the Marlow & Maidenhead MRC over 40 years ago.

IMG_20210114_232926.jpg.723eb40d1e75bd4522b2f615c7caacd9.jpg

Quite probably. Dunster goods shed (and station building and signal box) featured in the old Peco Ericplans book of structure drawings about 50 years ago. They are also the prototypes for the old Hornby, now Fordhampton, kits.

• Informative/Useful 2

All of the sheds on the West Somerset were of the same design. I'm currently using Washford as a prototype, which has an access door at track level.

On the road side there is a pair of full height sliding on the inside behind an arch, which I assume is as it is at Dunster, a couple of stations down the line. 

Both sheds have offices accessed from inside the shed only as well, but I haven't found any reference pictures to show where the door is.

Hope this helps your thinking.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That makes sense. Would it help if the internal platform was a separate timber construct which seems quite common?

I thought about that, would the edging on top of the stone work be timber too?

DSCF1415.JPG.81301f13cb01e91395ffe707f1967ed8.JPG

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4

It makes sense to have an entirely wooden floor so that heavy objects can be helped out of vans by crane and slid onto the open platform without risk of damage. The edging certainly looks to be timber in the photo.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It makes sense to have an entirely wooden floor so that heavy objects can be helped out of vans by crane and slid onto the open platform without risk of damage. The edging certainly looks to be timber in the photo.

I couldn't quite make it out, I assumed it was timber so came up with this.......

2015098362_goodsshed10.png.6f8eb1eb9cc68730f03ccf2c214ad10c.png

Edited by chuffinghell
Hoist Base Added
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Perhaps its me but wouldn't a sliding door go across the track when it was open?

And in for pound etc 

But usually theres is an 'access' door within large doors. That way it saves space and having to create another opening.

Otherwise excellent.

10 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

You've lost me there

Sorry Chris if I didn't explain it clearly. So if the sliding door was the full width of the opening it would have to slide to the left ie over the track. However a concentina or sectional door they would fold over one another.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Sorry Chris if I didn't explain it clearly. So if the sliding door was the full width of the opening it would have to slide to the left ie over the track. However a concentina or sectional door they would fold over one another.

Still don't understand, the door only slides over the track when the doors are closed

1073154861_goodsshed12.png.70fd1ec02985589677d327911854fa95.png

or am I missing something :scratchhead:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1