Does that goods shed at Dunster (?) have two doors? The big sliding door with the man access door at the left hand side and a narrow door at the right hand side?

If so, the right hand door must be hinged to open into the shed as it won’t pass the arch. I imagine it’s like this so that the sliding door doesn’t slide right across to the far side of the shed and so the office can be accessed from inside.

Possible solution Chris?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Does that goods shed at Dunster (?) have two doors? The big sliding door with the man access door at the left hand side and a narrow door at the right hand side?

If so, the right hand door must be hinged to open into the shed as it won’t pass the arch. I imagine it’s like this so that the sliding door doesn’t slide right across to the far side of the shed and so the office can be accessed from inside.

Possible solution Chris?

Its difficult to see, I imagine the wider left hand door slides to the left as you say but looking at it there looks enough room for the smaller narrow right hand door to slide to the right (maybe) although hinged wouldn't take up much room either

Having the man-access door in one of the siding doors as @Winslow Boy suggested (and as per Dunster) does mean I don't have to put one in at all. As modelled the doors will be permanently open so you can use your imagination that it is one of the sliding doors

Edited by chuffinghell

2 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Lean the door against the side of the shed and tell everyone that when the lads have refitted the engine shed door at Little Muddle they'll be here to sort this one...

Now why didn't I think of that? :scratchhead:

• Like 1

The door at the office end at Dunster has a section about 4' wide on the right which is hinged internally to swing back against the railside wall. The rest of the door slides left, but is short enough to allow access into the office building. (You would only need about 15mm of internal space to suggest that on a model) Note that the sliding section has a Judas gate in it to allow foot access. There is no reason to think that the opposite end of the building would be any different. 

The cart access doors on the yard side, (not all that educated guess here) would open our onto a loading bay. In your case with the outside  loading platform, they would simply be shorter.

Would there be some wooden stairs down from the platform to ground level at either end?

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The cart access doors on the yard side, (not all that educated guess here) would open our onto a loading bay. In your case with the outside  loading platform, they would simply be shorter.

Could you explain that a bit simpler, my IQ is lower than my shoe size today

46 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The door at the office end at Dunster has a section about 4' wide on the right which is hinged internally to swing back against the railside wall. The rest of the door slides left, but is short enough to allow access into the office building. (You would only need about 15mm of internal space to suggest that on a model) Note that the sliding section has a Judas gate in it to allow foot access. There is no reason to think that the opposite end of the building would be any different. 

I'll look at doing my 'office' as an adjoining building with it's own entry door but one or more of the sliding doors would have a judas gate (you just cant see it with the doors open)

48 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Would there be some wooden stairs down from the platform to ground level at either end?

as for steps I've not gotten that far yet. Its still a 'work in progress'

Sorry, that was my overthinking. Your side doors open onto the loading platform, so don't need a slot in the floor.

If you wanted wood stairs, I believe that you can still get the staircase from the Ratio signal box as a separate item. Cut in half, modify etc etc, might save a bit of work.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I think I may be taking this too far

2036126_goodsshed14.png.59b47c17f641ed88097b399ddf108af7.png

Not at all it's  expected as the structure requires it. Check out Chippenham and The Farthing Chronicles, all buildings will have to be completely scratch built. Buildings such as goods sheds and station canopies and stables require intricate structural detail.

Good luck but you'll do great :paint:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Not at all it's  expected as the structure requires it. Check out Chippenham and The Farthing Chronicles, all buildings will have to be completely scratch built. Buildings such as goods sheds and station canopies and stables require intricate structural detail.

Good luck but you'll do great :paint:

At first I thought I might be wasting my time with details you can’t see but once the skylights are in it makes a big difference

Also I might get away without the need for interior lighting

It’s going to take me a while. This is version no.8

Its a very slow process

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Check out Chippenham and The Farthing Chronicles, all buildings will have to be completely scratch built

To be honest the majority of this will be 3D printed, bits used out of the engine shed kit and only a small amount will be scratch built :blush:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m going to move the skylight down by a tile, I think this would allow you to see more of the interior from operating height

56D69E37-EBCC-48B1-989B-4494D52BCE50.jpeg.0e241965971a5144c8a234ed0c11d2c9.jpeg

I should still be able to use the roof sections from the engine shed kit, I’ll just have to cut a strip off the bottom and reattach them to the top to create the rectangular hole.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Not wishing to knock the wind out of your sails, but that's a Fink truss, as used in modern houses. Usually packed in at 600mm centres and specifically designed to stop people building model railways in lofts.

@Rowsley17Dhas it bang on. Timbers about 16"x 6"

Awfully sorry old chap....

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Not wishing to knock the wind out of your sails, but that's a Fink truss, as used in modern houses. Usually packed in at 600mm centres and specifically designed to stop people building model railways in lofts.

@Rowsley17Dhas it bang on. Timbers about 16"x 6"

Awfully sorry old chap....

Trouble maker :P

C33E9E83-88F4-4ED8-9ADE-687491E7DFE9.jpeg.cd164cef423443e08d78a1baa7bd5b3b.jpeg

4319CF3A-1255-4FB4-9083-32ED381034B7.jpeg.101f97789f098a42e9ff645f9842aecc.jpeg

A7D7F5D7-0D31-45FD-890C-B0623EEFCC82.jpeg.b6055373de9b05886d2f74ee9d5e296e.jpeg

But you’re correct 

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/01/2021 at 20:44, MrWolf said:

This is one that I wish was still available new.

IMG_20210113_203633.jpg.104717810690f7ab03c0be7856aca358.jpg

Has Holt Model Railways closed down now? They were still available ~2-3 years ago (I have one in the To Do box).

• Informative/Useful 1