• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Are you 3d printing the goods shed Chris?

Regards Lez.

Hi Lez

That was/is my intention, although it does seem to have taken on a life of it’s own

Things like the roof, windows, brick arches, guttering and downpipes etc will be from a Ratio engine shed kit

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

I’m taking my time with this because I want to get it right(ish)

I’ve put additional ‘timbers’ in (circled in green) so that I can attach the top of a hoist where they intersect

C8B229A3-5BA0-4B39-9566-90D3BAA49A56.jpeg.9c53643f1d5c544a6e486a3fc87e0cc8.jpeg

Similar to this

0E61BB85-B6FD-4AD2-99AA-4D3CA0F4A484.jpeg.9e0100d04f6c973b5850f3e47b3ae5ea.jpeg

So there will be some proper modelling taking place too :blush:

At the moment it places the hoist centre of the inner platform but looking at the photo I need to move it further in towards the edge of the platform perhaps?

Although I’m first going to have a look at where it would land if I do a diagonal cross brace as above

I am only thinking of doing this amount of detail because I have been considering a lift off roof

If anyone has a technical drawing of one of these hoists or can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated 

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The crane jib should be long enough to reach the centre of the track through the shed and positioned to rotate through 360 degrees without hitting the wall of the shed. 

If that makes sense?

That makes sense, although I didn’t think about it turning through 360 so thanks for that :good:

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The crane jib should be long enough to reach the centre of the track through the shed and positioned to rotate through 360 degrees without hitting the wall of the shed. 

If that makes sense?

I'd have thought it'd need to reach the far side of the track, for those cases where someone's loaded several crates into a wagon and you need to lift the one on the far side?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 18/01/2021 at 22:02, Nick C said:

I'd have thought it'd need to reach the far side of the track, for those cases where someone's loaded several crates into a wagon and you need to lift the one on the far side?

That would be the ideal situation and I should have said that the minimum reach would be the track centre, sorry for creating any confusion there.

The longer the jib, the heavier the crane you need, the heavier the crane, the greater the supporting structure needs to be. Often with a loading hoist it's a case of swinging items outwards and dropping them or pick up and drag. It depends on how much space that you have.

It's also why an overhead crane is a better option in a large warehouse, but pre electricity, that wasn't an option. Probably the easiest thing to do short of having any drawing is to scale off a picture. Jibs of that type in the photo above are about 10' long. 

The one below came out of the Midland Railway shed at Lancaster Green Ayre. The two angled struts at the back were added when it was turned into a monument.

lancastergreenayrecrane.jpg.3c717fbfcb107313a900b356954ab2f3.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Probably the easiest thing to do short of having any drawing is to scale off a picture. Jibs of that type in the photo above are about 10' long. 

The one below came out of the Midland Railway shed at Lancaster Green Sure. The two angled struts at the back were added when it was turned into a monumenth.

lancastergreenayrecrane.jpg.3c717fbfcb107313a900b356954ab2f3.jpg

is this how they are rigged up?

086AD182-BFE3-4D85-A7C7-FA4E65EC268A.jpeg.6fc038abd2796b7bddde6b5e65429cb7.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Not 100% certain. There's usually a smaller pulley behind the largest one which the lifting chain runs over. The largest pulley usually has a seperate loop chain around it for quick lifts of lighter loads instead of the hand crank. Might be worth looking for midland railway internal goods cranes, in the prototype information section on here. I am sure that someone from the hmrs was talking about them. I can't post a picture, sketch or link ATM, 4g acting up, although all of the ####ing adverts are loading perfectly! :mad_mini:

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Not 100% certain. There's usually a smaller pulley behind the largest one which the lifting chain runs over. The largest pulley usually has a seperate loop chain around it for quick lifts of lighter loads instead of the hand crank. Might be worth looking for midland railway internal goods cranes, in the prototype information section on here. I am sure that someone from the hmrs was talking about them. I can't post a picture, sketch or link ATM, 4g acting up, although all of the ####ing adverts are loading perfectly! :mad_mini:

I was just guessing, I’m struggling to find any close up photos or decent drawings

• RMweb Gold

Here's a North Eastern goods shed crane, not sure if it was designed in house or was bought in but I think they were all pretty much alike. 

20210119_090538_copy_1600x1200.jpg.2e6ebb3bb896e6f9a4d83f20cd16efa1.jpg

Edited by Worsdell forever
Replaced image with a clearer one.
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Although I have no experience of loading anything using a hoist, I’m going to say ‘B’ because;

1) I’m fairly certain that particular arrangement of supporting timbers is the one best suited to counteract the stresses generated by a load on the hoist being moved through 360 degrees.

2) the hoist being located toward one end of the shed potentially allows a second wagon to be loaded/unloaded (by hand) while the hoist is in use.

In ‘A’ it looks as though only one wagon could be in the shed while the hoist is in use and I think stress generated by a load on the hoist won’t be counteracted as well. The supporting timbers in ‘C’ just looks wrong to my eye; like the hoist has been added as an afterthought; as in “What? You mean you wanted to move heavy items in and out of wagons? Why didn’t you say so BEFORE we built the shed?”

• Agree 6

Triangles. More Triangles. Engineers love triangles.

So I suggest option B with the addition of 2 cross-braces parallel with the tracks - to make more triangles.

I note that your photo of an original above has the 4 triangles arrangement...

Yours, Mike.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KingEdwardII said:

Triangles. More Triangles. Engineers love triangles.

Are you related to Pythagoras by any chance? :P

You're quite right

1 hour ago, Ponthir28 said:

B for me I think it looks right so it’s probably is right .

I thought so too

Here is MKXI

GS1.png.b844e93808a7ca955e6ad05d0da210c5.png

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

“What? You mean you wanted to move heavy items in and out of wagons? Why didn’t you say so BEFORE we built the shed?”

:lol: quite right, it would look like it was build by bodgit and scarper

• Like 7

16 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Similar to this

0E61BB85-B6FD-4AD2-99AA-4D3CA0F4A484.jpeg.9e0100d04f6c973b5850f3e47b3ae5ea.jpeg

This is indeed your option B.

Regarding the hoist, looking at this photo; the hoist chain or cable is wound onto the drum on the same axle as the large pulley wheel, so you get maximum mechanical advantage, at a guess about 10 to 1. The big pulley is driven by the continuous chain loop around the small drum at the bottom of the post, this has one direct hand crank drive (left hand square spigot) for light loads (1 to 1), and has a geared drive from the right hand square spigot via the larger pulley / disc / gear furthest from the upright on the left hand shaft again at a guess about 10 to 1. So you have high and low gear winding. One crank handle demountable, put on the desired spigot. The metal loop in the 6-8 o'clock position on the big pulley keeps the transmission chain loop from jumping off. I'd expect to find a ratchet perhaps somewhere to hold the load once lifted.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

This is indeed your option B.

Regarding the hoist, looking at this photo; the hoist chain or cable is wound onto the drum on the same axle as the large pulley wheel, so you get maximum mechanical advantage, at a guess about 10 to 1. The big pulley is driven by the continuous chain loop around the small drum at the bottom of the post, this has one direct hand crank drive (left hand square spigot) for light loads (1 to 1), and has a geared drive from the right hand square spigot via the larger pulley / disc / gear furthest from the upright on the left hand shaft again at a guess about 10 to 1. So you have high and low gear winding. One crank handle demountable, put on the desired spigot. The metal loop in the 6-8 o'clock position on the big pulley keeps the transmission chain loop from jumping off. I'd expect to find a ratchet perhaps somewhere to hold the load once lifted.

Thank you

Have I interpreted correctly?

8F7BBD64-1798-4082-9EC3-413AD7D2E05C.jpeg.ff8a55652d416bf02733b4a4e7443135.jpeg

Chris

• Like 5