As you're going for an all stone construction, increasing the size of the blocks around the crane mount is a good idea, they look like granite setts rather than bricks. It's looking like it will be a top quality goods shed. You realise I'm now going to have to build the terminus to go with my through station layout just so that I can build a "proper" goods shed.

Not to mention the loco shed that I had to concede on my current layout! :crazy:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Neat job. That reminds me that I need to make a new base for the crane I have. I have a photo somewhere and it looks pretty easy to fabricate. I hope that you're not fitting an anti aircraft gun on that mount as it's going to be close to the bridges....

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/railgun-gladiator-ww11-railgun-or76boom02

• Funny 2

Back OT, after the convoluted discussion we had about the internal crane for the goods shed, did you come up with a suitable crane model or are you planning on cannibalising a kit for the ironworks and making the wooden tower and jib? 

Apologies if you already mentioned it!

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Back OT, after the convoluted discussion we had about the internal crane for the goods shed, did you come up with a suitable crane model or are you planning on cannibalising a kit for the ironworks and making the wooden tower and jib? 

Apologies if you already mentioned it!

I’m planning on it being a combination of kit cannibalisation and scratch building.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m planning on it being a combination of kit cannibalisation and scratch building.

Which is exactly what I am planning to do as I plan to install a timber crane (also known as a Scotch Derrick.) in my goods yard. At one time you could get a kit quite easily, I have been hunting around for a while now and no luck.

The model isn't mine BTW!

03000aee.jpg.2916259af710cb92150ea1a87f9c8733.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
PostScript!
  • Like 10

The OCD has kicked in nicely there. A great little win though. They're something that I need to organise eventually too. It seems that everyone (including myself) is on with small tasks today. The road surface now looks spot on by the way!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The OCD has kicked in nicely there. A great little win though.

Thank you, although I refer to having OCD I’m not officially diagnosed but you have to wonder :lol:

There was no way I could paint the strips straight and even (and be happy with it) so this was the obvious solution.

I had them 3D printed by Tim @cwrailways and the signs are by trackside signs

No affiliation with either companies, just a satisfied customer

11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The road surface now looks spot on by the way!

Thank you, I’ve finished titivating it now I’ve got it to a stage I’m happy with it (I’m my own worst critic)

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have no official diagnosis of OCD either, (though perhaps I show symptoms)  I think it is more the fact that we are creating a realistic picture so we have to include what we know is there (within reason!) in order to create an "honest" picture. 

Mostly I think that the challenge of putting together the picture is what makes modelmaking enjoyable. 

Every now and then I remember the trains! :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

There was no way I could paint the strips straight and even (and be happy with it) so this was the obvious solution.

Obvious to you, maybe, but I doubt if I would have thought of that as a solution.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

A161FCC1-9499-4722-BB32-B93029AA7C92.jpeg.8a6464f498eaffe4955b90c425483e77.jpeg

Yes I know having individual sections was lazy but....

E2865DD8-0A5E-4FF7-9099-3A6620D80A37.jpeg.a7630b6a0563426e83a46545d32ed270.jpeg

Can you make them available to us mere mortals now from Chris  at CWR please?

Edited by simonmcp
Duff link
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, simonmcp said:

Can you make them available to us mere mortals now from Chris  at CWR please?

I’ll have a word with Tim* and see what he says

*I believe Chris sold/transferred the business a few years ago so the contact @cwrailways is now Tim, he’s a very helpful and pleasant guy to deal with so I’m sure it won’t be a problem

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m thinking of moving the crane base further back towards the shed.....

9DC02968-428E-44A1-B816-29D133D8F0A7.jpeg.9c935f3c5fe9e861e8a1d81dbb3bc4be.jpeg

....maybe? Just seems a bit too close to the edge for offloading the first wagon (if that makes sense)

Although I’ve already got the Peco crane I’ve also ordered a Gaugemaster one for comparison

0FF3072F-921B-4A30-8B8B-B3EDF4DA5791.jpeg.a1f9a99243a2b596c73ea1c86f43813f.jpeg

which ever one I go for I think I will need to reduce the boom length, the one I don’t use I can put by the canal near the pump house

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry about this guys but I'm still trying to get my head around the hoist cabling

I found this photo that appears to be rigged up

HOIST.jpg.a72276585e8e2942c4ed8beda4b3bf97.jpg

The chain (in green) goes over pully 'A' to drum 'B' which in turn is connected to the large pulley 'C'

However there only appears to be a single cable (in red) from pulley 'C' to the winch 'D'

Is the red cable wrapped around the large pulley a couple of times and physically attached to the large pulley or am I missing something?

HELP!!!!

This is how I thought it was done

crane2.png.3728392c76bf170d9c1194c9933ade56.png

So now I'm totally confused

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There isn't a standard way these things work Chris. Each manufacture would have it's own particular way of rigging their own products. Most cranes were made by a crane builder and bought in by the subcontractor who won the contract to build the shed for the railway company. There are only so many ways of doing it but you can bet that every railway company had at least one example of the different methods of rigging somewhere on it's system. As an example my command post section in the army had 2 garages next to each other in the gun line where we kept our 432's and each door had a different mechanism for raising the door.  You seem to have been drawn down the rabbit hole here mate and it's huge warren down there. Ask yourself two questions. 1 can it be seen with the roof on and 2 are you making a working model. Then climb back out of the rabbit hole and build the damn shed.

Regards Lez. 

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

@lezz01 has a good point there, you only need to give the impression that it works for it to be convincing.

If you really have to rig it up something like, this is the setup I posted previously, which as pointed out above, isn't the only possible way, but the most likely for the type of fixed jib hoist in your photos.

IMG_20210120_031026.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

There isn't a standard way these things work Chris. Each manufacture would have it's own particular way of rigging their own products. Most cranes were made by a crane builder and bought in by the subcontractor who won the contract to build the shed for the railway company. There are only so many ways of doing it but you can bet that every railway company had at least one example of the different methods of rigging somewhere on it's system. As an example my command post section in the army had 2 garages next to each other in the gun line where we kept our 432's and each door had a different mechanism for raising the door.  You seem to have been drawn down the rabbit hole here mate and it's huge warren down there. Ask yourself two questions. 1 can it be seen with the roof on and 2 are you making a working model. Then climb back out of the rabbit hole and build the damn shed.

Regards Lez. 

28 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

@lezz01 has a good point there, you only need to give the impression that it works for it to be convincing.

If you really have to rig it up something like, this is the setup I posted previously, which as pointed out above, isn't the only possible way, but the most likely for the type of fixed jib hoist in your photos.

IMG_20210120_031026.jpg

Sorry guys, you're quite right.

I'm just concerned about some smart ar$e telling me its wrong after I build it (instead of telling me before hand)

crane3.png.530d2b180e9547cde90fa32d97045db9.png

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

Then we should ask said smart ar5e to show us in great detail how he built the one on his layout. 

Followed by the equally pertinent question: "Where were you with this vital information when it was most relevant?" 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3