• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I have noticed rust forming on chains, I suspect due to the movement of the chain 'damaging' each shackle and allowing water to penetrate the metal surface. 

I might attempt to dry brush the chain

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Definitely sounds like a plan Chris.

Regards Lez. 

I wasn’t having much luck dry brushing, it’s a technique that I need to practice, however, undeterred I had a go with ‘rust’ weathering powder and again the effect is subtle

AFB32108-E70E-4EFC-ABF0-494253215A8B.jpeg.31c907564831d8e4e654f3e946cb80a4.jpeg

It’s stuck in some places and not in others but then rust on chain isn’t always uniform (that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it)

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 3

6 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I wasn’t having much luck dry brushing, it’s a technique that I need to practice, however, undeterred I had a go with ‘rust’ weathering powder and again the effect is subtle

It’s stuck in some places and not in others but then rust on chain isn’t always uniform (that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it)

No excuse needed there Chris that's spot on. Just like in real life.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I think that we can safely say that you have now turned it into a grotty piece of Victoriana :D

In my defence, I did think that Peco had moulded it in two colours - because they can...

Thank you

”grotty” :lol: I said to Sarah that I’d spent a lot of time putting it together properly and painted it all up nicely just to make it look grotty 

And no need to defend yourself because I thought it looked a bit too toy like myself but Lego Techic comment made me smile because it took me back to when I was younger. I loved Techic Lego (I still do, I just can’t justify buying any now my lads are all grown up)

As far as the colours go it was all the same colour plastic (almost the colour I’ve painted it :banghead:) but it had a sheen on it and a moulding line right down the center of the boom (if that’s the correct terminology)

B201B81E-7684-4DDA-AAA3-35CF5AE69F44.jpeg.b5b0319a6b13aeaab349875cbcfebbfa.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

As my goods shed is a combination of 3D printed, kit bashed and scratch built I thought I’d make a start on the roof trusses

DB964108-C5DC-4DC4-B714-22CE5421C1DB.jpeg.cef91cf5d859d5d9aaf201a60a871a95.jpg.717e99c13db81498784022f79fdef982.jpg 

First attempt so will need its own weight in filler and then another three to make

The roof should be easier because I’m going to modify a Ratio engine shed roof

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

Lego? Naa Chris, You should have been around in the good days of Mecarno mate, proper Engineering. :good:

Always wanted Meccano as a kid, as did a lot of my friends.

But being poor we made do with playing in the junkyard instead. :D

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Lego? Naa Chris, You should have been around in the good days of Mecarno mate, proper Engineering. :good:

I had meccano too, I remember one Christmas having a massive set, it was a large tower crane, it took me about a month to build it. It said 10+ years on the box so doing it 9 years & 11 months sooner wasn’t bad going

A Lego Technic digger introduced me to pneumatics so I suppose from an engineering point of view both had merit

I never realised until I had my own kids just how expensive Technic Lego was though

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

That’s it for today, I haven’t got material thick enough so I’ve doubled it up and gone mad with the knifing putty

TRUSS.jpg.9745b4643bd7c3a04848729154170f76.jpg

I’m sure it will be fine once sanded and primed, then filled and primed again

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Love it, and the crane too! Watching, following and taking notes with interest :)

Thank you

I’m making it from my own drawings that I’ve printed out full size (I’m constantly checking against) however, I will hold off ordering the 3D printed body until I’ve done the truss frame so I can adjust the dimensions if I need to....just in case I get my measurements wrong :rolleyes:

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Lego and Mechano are the two best toys ever invented. Just add imagination! Great for both Boys and Girls and even grown ups. Nothing else comes close if you ask me.........well trains of course. Then again you can build trains with both can't you!? 

Regards Lez. 

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Lego and Mechano are the two best toys ever invented. Just add imagination! Great for both Boys and Girls and even grown ups. Nothing else comes close if you ask me.........wel trains of course. Then again you can build trains with both can't you!? 

Regards Lez. 

I couldn’t agree more, it’s probably why I became an engineer

My first train set and Lego set was a Lego train set so you’re spot on there

0D9F59EE-1F73-4F31-8D83-962308F8B8F7.jpeg.86d6304084e7215b585d6cce4aff4d1d.jpeg

Happy days

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 20/02/2021 at 15:38, MrWolf said:

It doesn't actually matter, I really shouldn't have pointed it out. (SORRY!)

Besides, having a SWL warning on the jib is still 100% more "Right" than not having one.

I’m wondering whether or not to take it off and getting different transfers made and redoing it another time

It just depends if I can do it without causing any damage 

• Friendly/supportive 1

NOW I feel guilty! 

I was just about to congratulate you on your efforts with the shed roof

Were it not for lockdown, I could have gone out and taken enough pictures and measurements of the internal structure of a real goods shed that is worryingly similar to yours to send us all to sleep and been back in ten minutes.

However, I can send you a picture of a roof truss from a horse feed store built in 1895 on land purchased from the L&NWR, that shows you're on the right track at least!

IMG_20210222_143058.jpg.8bcd8113eb5a7b51b7410e543773fdbf.jpg

IMG_20210222_143111.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

NOW I feel guilty! 

I was just about to congratulate you on your efforts with the shed roof

Were it not for lockdown, I could have gone out and taken enough pictures and measurements of the internal structure of a real goods shed that is worryingly similar to yours to send us all to sleep and been back in ten minutes.

However, I can send you a picture of a roof truss from a horse feed store built in 1895 on land purchased from the L&NWR, that shows you're on the right track at least!

IMG_20210222_143058.jpg.8bcd8113eb5a7b51b7410e543773fdbf.jpg

IMG_20210222_143111.jpg

You don’t have to, I’m sure I’ll forget all about it once I divert all my attention towards the goods shed build, if I concerned myself with everything that’s not quite right on Warren nothing would get built

Were we not in lockdown and you had it would have been appreciated, however I still appreciate the thought

And if you remember correctly had it not been for your intervention my truss frames would have been modern ‘fink’ type instead of the queen post type, so you saved me there

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m wondering whether or not to take it off and getting different transfers made and redoing it another time

It just depends if I can do it without causing any damage 

LEAVE IT ALONE!........STEP AWAY FROM THE CRANE...!!

sheep-967169-01.jpeg

Edited by NHY 581
Image added to provide menace..........
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 21/02/2021 at 13:02, chuffinghell said:

Looks great that Chris. Lovely texture.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1