• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Whilst I admire your skills in designing these items that you have 3D printed Chris, why not just build it out of Wills sheets or slaters stone effect sheets. I mean why keep supporting the French economy? It's not like you don't have the skills mate.

Regards Lez.

I thinks its whatever you feel comfortable with Les. Chris is extremely skilled and I'm sure he could knock something up. His work is tremendous, far superior to anything I can produce. 

Thats why I enjoy working with RTP buildings. I don't have that skillset.  Not forgetting of course these buildings,  from Bachmann and Hornby are made in China , as are the vast majority of the RTR model railway products these days. 

As for not supporting the French economy , can I take it you no longer purchase French wines, cheeses etc ?

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Whilst I admire your skills in designing these items that you have 3D printed Chris, why not just build it out of Wills sheets or slaters stone effect sheets

It’s not all 3D printed, I’m scratch building and kit bashing the other parts while I wait for the main part

45 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

I mean why keep supporting the French economy?

The stuff from shapeways comes from the Netherlands 

I’d never support the French economy, I’ll never buy a French car again (I owned a Renault for 8 weeks and it put me off French cars for life) I don’t drink wine and proper cheese comes from either Somerset or Cheshire :lol:

46 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

It's not like you don't have the skills mate

Good of you to say, thank you.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I thinks its whatever you feel comfortable with Les. Chris is extremely skilled and I'm sure he could knock something up. His work is tremendous, far superior to anything I can produce. 

Thats why I enjoy working with RTP buildings. I don't have that skillset.  Not forgetting of course these buildings,  from Bachmann and Hornby are made in China , as are the vast majority of the RTR model railway products these days. 

As for not supporting the French economy , can I take it you no longer purchase French wines, cheeses etc ?

Rob. 

Well to be honest I'm not much of a drinker, yes I take a little rum now and then, Mount Gay is my favorite tipple it's from Barbados and my brie and camembert are both a product of Somerset. I used to live in Provance and whilst the French in the south are lovely and very friendly the rest of them tend to be a bit...err....off if you get my drift. Especially as I'm from Arab descent! So no I do my best to not support the French economy if I can avoid it. I will confess to driving a Pug but as I brought it second hand I don't think that counts.

Regards Lez.    

Edited by lezz01
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob AKA @NHY 581 has helped no end! Applying Matt varnish before powders works a treat, especially given you can wipe off any excess much easier....Thanks Rob! Top tip :)

C41CAA42-6125-43F8-9DA1-313C8E32B46A.jpeg.8433c2042dcae417ebcf6e9614cfb6fb.jpeg

I’ve applied another coat of matt and once dry I’ll look at picking out individual boards, although I quite like the effect this far

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold

Chris, 

That looks great. So nice how the planks are suddenly picked out. 

Once you start on individual planks it becomes a tad addictive. 

Top stuff. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

It’s not all 3D printed, I’m scratch building and kit bashing the other parts ...

And very good those bits look too, the beams of the goods shed look brilliant. I shudder when I remember my early scratchbuilding efforts. I think you have the skills to scratchbuild anything, just take it one step at a time and you won't get frustrated or annoyed with yourself.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I don't think that it is all that important how you get to point B when building a layout as long as you make it all blend together like it was always a part of one scene. 

Regardless of the origins of the components of Warren Branch, I think that you can guarantee that nothing will be stuck on straight out of the box. It's what makes this build so interesting.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Chris, 

That looks great. So nice how the planks are suddenly picked out. 

Once you start on individual planks it becomes a tad addictive. 

Top stuff. 

Rob. 

Thanks Rob

I don’t think I’ll ever use brown for wood ever again and I much prefer using powders instead of washes (now I know to apply a coat of matt varnish first)

I’m going to try the fibreglass pen technique you use but I’m going to try it on a scrap piece to see how well Vallejo polyurethane varnish holds up to various levels of abuse

Once again thank you for sharing your weathering technique on your thread, it has proven very helpful

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simonmcp said:

And very good those bits look too, the beams of the goods shed look brilliant.

Thank you, admittedly it took a couple of attempts to get the roof truss how I wanted

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

proper cheese comes from either Somerset or Cheshire

Something far more wonderful comes from Somerset. Hereford too.

Like the produce of Perry's of Dowlish Wake - now there's a name redolent of English countryside and apple orchards. 

Shame that Dr Beeching saw off the local line at Ilminster - its a long walk from Crewkerne now.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Thanks Rob

I don’t think I’ll ever use brown for wood ever again and I much prefer using powders instead of washes (now I know to apply a coat of matt varnish first)

I’m going to try the fibreglass pen technique you use but I’m going to try it on a scrap piece to see how well Vallejo polyurethane varnish holds up to various levels of abuse

Once again thank you for sharing your weathering technique on your thread, it has proven very helpful

Chris

You're very welcome, Chris. That's very kind of you and only too glad to have been of use.........But it's you that is doing it and making a jolly good job of it all. 

Top stuff. 

Rob. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ve started to pick out the details on the roof trusses, it’s at times like these I wish I could afford O gauge or bigger :lol:

67B4DC30-70FB-4BF4-91FC-13958EED604A.jpeg.fd7fa75dbd62341b89fe86be066ac71a.jpeg

Once dry I’ll seal it with varnish and do some weathering 

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve started to pick out the details on the roof trusses, it’s at times like these I wish I could afford O gauge or bigger :lol:

67B4DC30-70FB-4BF4-91FC-13958EED604A.jpeg.fd7fa75dbd62341b89fe86be066ac71a.jpeg

Once dry I’ll seal it with varnish and do some weathering 

Sheep frantically runs about looking for the 'bloody hell that's good' button. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Looks great to my eye.  Having read through this whole thread, I'm hoping to see a few cobwebs added in the corners maybe?!

Thank you, cobwebs eh? Now there’s a thought

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve not left much room for a model railway in the goods shed roof space

Now that would be very meta.  But a touch difficult to pull off in this scale I'd have thought...

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

cruel close up showing where I the GWR carpenter accidentally took a chunk out of the ‘wood’ with a file his chisel.

Fixed that for you.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1