• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

I do like the window in the platform.

It’s only because I had a round window in my bits box and didn’t know where else to put it :lol: 

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I considered naming my layout Much Fettling, but on second thoughts will probably go with Chuffnell Regis

Actually I quite like ‘Little Fettling’ or ‘Much Fettling’ as a layout name

• Agree 1

So much for a snail pace. By now I wouldn’t have done anything at all, but I might have thought about doing something. But then again I might not. Perhaps I might have looked at what everyone else on RMWeb had achieved and been inspired, so Chris keep on at your pace and INSPIRE! I won’t ask how the canal towpath is going tho... that seems to be something I can keep up with..:senile:

Cheers, Mark

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, snailpace said:

So much for a snail pace. By now I wouldn’t have done anything at all, but I might have thought about doing something. But then again I might not. Perhaps I might have looked at what everyone else on RMWeb had achieved and been inspired, so Chris keep on at your pace and INSPIRE! I won’t ask how the canal towpath is going tho... that seems to be something I can keep up with..:senile:

Cheers, Mark

Thanks Mark

I only describe what I do as a snails pace because I do tend to work slower than some

I tend to have a busy week and then a fortnight doing very little.

I only did the towpath area under the bridge so I get the bridge and road in place as I’m working from the back of the layout to the front. The canal and the towpath will probably be the last thing I do

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Yes that’s true but it’s going to take a little longer using that crane to lift the roof assembly into place

Careful Chris, make sure you have a lift plan in place and I wouldn't recommend the lift if wind speeds are over 12mph in your area.

Perhaps the hand of God could assist while no ones looking :excl:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, MAP66 said:

Careful Chris, make sure you have a lift plan in place and I wouldn't recommend the lift if wind speeds are over 12mph in your area.

Perhaps the hand of God could assist while no ones looking :excl:

The same 12mph wind blew the method statement and risk assessment out of the crane operators hands 

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

The conversation usually goes like this:

Safety manager: "There's clearly no other way to do it without stopping production for a couple of days?"

Fitter: "No, and you'll need a 400tonne crane because of the reach..."

Safety manager: "How long will it take to do it your way?"

Fitter: "Twenty minutes."

Safety manager: "Okay, I'm going out for lunch, I won't be back for an hour or so..."

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

5 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

The same 12mph wind blew the method statement and risk assessment out of the crane operators hands 

That's where it came from.

Landed by the chaps unloading the crate which has thrown them into even more confusion.....!

• Funny 4

24 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

After a second coat of the base colour I’ve started on the detailing

C991626C-D5E3-42F4-B17A-705A9213D68C.jpeg.1849fa7bf63f79925b6b76e2fb248898.jpeg

I shouldn’t really need to do the far side because it will never be seen, however you know I’ll do it anyway :rolleyes:

Yes, I thought that in the early days of Little Muddle then along came mobile phones, compact cameras and long reach tripods........so it will be seen!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Yes, I thought that in the early days of Little Muddle then along came mobile phones, compact cameras and long reach tripods........so it will be seen!!!!!

I’d not thought about it that way so I’ve now done the back and ‘unseen’ side

5824FB15-BEA2-432F-B6A2-26AC0B5DBD4E.jpeg.57cdad33a60844474da40ac8c24ca6f0.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
Smelling correction
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, KNP said:

Two of the major buildings on my layout stand about six inches from the backscene. I was going to leave the rear walls blank until I saw the  way you had photographed Little Muddle and I realised that I would soon regret not modelling everything!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Me too. It was something that I didn't find convincing about the otherwise excellent Ratio goods shed. The stone blocks were large, sharply defined and very smooth. It all looked a bit too Christopher Wren for a railway goods shed, especially when compared to the GWR station building they did. I turned mine into a sort of homespun Will's Craftsman kit inspired by Faringdon.

It's a shame that it's doubtless prohibitively expensive for Ratio to issue the same building in timber (very Brunelian broad gauge) or in English bond brick. They would be great seller's I suspect, as would a plastic kit for Watlington shed (Bachmann did a run of resin ones IIRC)

Chris, Whilst trawling through my stash of GWRJs in search of a photo I am sure I have seen but now cannot find (a bit like the thingummy needed to finish any model, searched for, not found, purchased and then surprise surprise you’ve got two of them), I happened across GWR drawings of the plan of Aldermaston goods shed and its internal 2 ton crane, almost identical to yours..... have you seen them?  I haven’t compared your model to the drawings, but they do look nearly identical......

• RMweb Gold

It isn't very hard to put a bit of texture on to a smooth plastic surface guys. Just flood the area with solvent, MEK, butanone or plastic weld, yes I know they are the same thing really, then bounce a stiff 1/2" or 1" paintbrush on it for a while and repeat as often as it takes to get the effect you want. Just bounce it end on mind don't let it drag. Use a cheap brush and cut it down to make it stiffer if you feel the need. It will work, trust me, I've done it many times.

Regards Lez.

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, snailpace said:

Chris, Whilst trawling through my stash of GWRJs in search of a photo I am sure I have seen but now cannot find (a bit like the thingummy needed to finish any model, searched for, not found, purchased and then surprise surprise you’ve got two of them), I happened across GWR drawings of the plan of Aldermaston goods shed and its internal 2 ton crane, almost identical to yours..... have you seen them?  I haven’t compared your model to the drawings, but they do look nearly identical......

The internal hoist was based on images of an Appleby Brothers hoist I found on t’inerweb

5E25E917-2C9F-49D0-9403-9384DB57687B.jpeg.88a7e61486678c2007a3769e7f33c7a2.jpeg

045D519B-C473-4C25-AC05-550B6F774B67.jpeg.ee05a6262e24e30d5bf56ffcc7e112a3.jpeg

• Like 12