• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, TrainMan2001 said:

That looks great! Was it from Shapeways?

I had this printed at CWRailways but as it’s something I designed myself I'm sure Shapeways could print it

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Excellent work and incredible attention to detail as always. 

I can't help but think that by now you have probably spent much more on parts than it would cost to get a resin printer and curing oven yourself. 

I got into printing my own bits a few years ago when I needed a body shell for a model aircraft and all of the quotes I received were just under the price I paid for my own fdm printer (I currently don't have a resin printer but their costs are falling too at present) 

I've never looked back. They don't cost terribly much to run, they're now very safe, and are excellent for prototyping too... I tend to print several low detail versions before getting the final one done correctly and I only have to pay ~ one pound per 50g of plastic ( I'm not sure how resin costs compare). Most of the stuff I print costs less than the postage from many online services. 

Just some food for thought, I've always loved your work. :)

David 

Edited by Horsehay Railway Modeller
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

Excellent work and incredible attention to detail as always.

Thanks David

54 minutes ago, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

I can't help but think that by now you have probably spent much more on parts than it would cost to get a resin printer and curing oven yourself. 

The thought has crossed my mind several times and you’re probably (definitely) right

I have noticed that prices are falling so it is most certainly food for thought

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Decided on railmatch oily steel for the weighbridge platform (I’m sure it has a special name?)

86F7B2A3-CF84-4AE1-842B-A298354811D2.jpeg.5741c5363d169b9d28f2d1de0f4f10dd.jpeg

I think my airbrush must have had a few spots of cleaner left in it because the paint hasn’t adhered properly in a few spots

I'll leave it overnight and see if another coat sorts it out tomorrow

Made a start on a few other bits and bobs too

Edited by chuffinghell
Spelling correction
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I’m really p***ed of with Hardy’s Hobbies! I ordered some painted figures and they look sh*t!

No where near as good as I’ve had off them before

In future I’m going to stick with painting them myself

I’ve contacted them and apparently this is an acceptable finish

9E302497-BB0B-41C6-9B00-9383166740EC.jpeg.7db0844989599ea4ec0c61c2b919d60a.jpeg

Not happy!

• Friendly/supportive 9

6 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m really p***ed of with Hardy’s Hobbies! I ordered some painted figures and they look sh*t!

No where near as good as I’ve had off them before

In future I’m going to stick with painting them myself

I’ve contacted them and apparently this is an acceptable finish

9E302497-BB0B-41C6-9B00-9383166740EC.jpeg.7db0844989599ea4ec0c61c2b919d60a.jpeg

Not happy!

Oh dear. Definitely a Friday afternoon job me thinks and what on earth is wrong with his face. Looks like its melted? Always bad when a previously good company fobs you off with sub standard rubbish and tries to b............t its way out not replacing them.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

48630F3C-CD8B-4036-A8AC-E94735063E8E.jpeg.f65f3793bac8f00cf4ae934a558c5a36.jpeg

I’m going to repaint them myself, I suggested they send me unpainted versions and I will return the sh*t ones but they want me to send these back first which it standard practice but to save on the postage I’m just going to repaint these

So much for looking after your repeat customers 

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I won’t be ordering from them again, painted or otherwise. I’ll stick to Modelu

If I was a vindictive person I’d post them a link to this thread so they can see other peoples reactions

but I’m obviously only one of a select flew who thinks they are poo!

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4

I don't think that you are going to have a problem making a better job of painting them given your efforts elsewhere.

Even if you use a plastic fork from the chip shop and that half tin of non drip gloss that's been going rusty in your parents garage since about 1976...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It’s my own fault, I bought them thinking I could put them in the goods shed....moving boxes around

7B9E5375-3BAB-4130-97E8-0F3B8EA2A8D9.jpeg.5ac439885c2969e0848c18cd0a780c40.jpeg

serves me right for being lazy :(

Maybe my standards are too high and expecting them to be as good as ones I’d previously ordered was naive and stupid :(

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I won’t be ordering from them again, painted or otherwise. I’ll stick to Modelu

If I was a vindictive person I’d post them a link to this thread so they can see other peoples reactions

but I’m obviously only one of a select flew who thinks they are poo!

There are people out there (so I'm told) who do buy stuff and just stick it on the layout apparently...

Ok, I'm an artist who is a bit OCD, but I have seen children paint Airfix soldiers with far more skill and attention to detail.

• Friendly/supportive 1

31 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

7B9E5375-3BAB-4130-97E8-0F3B8EA2A8D9.jpeg.5ac439885c2969e0848c18cd0a780c40.jpeg

I think my dog has managed better results and she is half blind! However you do have a finger print from the probable pi$$ artist you could use that as forensic evidence to charge and convict someone of model butchery!

On a serious note Chris you are right to expect better and these are poor even by a mass produced product standards, not to mention the poor customer service. Even if they feel the standard is adequate you are the customer and you are not satisfied. They should have at least offered to replace with unpainted figures and offer a credit for your returned monsters figures. At least then you would have been mildly happy, could return the offending articles and they would have kept a customer as well as another potential order with the credit of which they would benefit from as well due to profit margins and resales.

Thank you for the heads up, I'll stick to what I know rather than experimenting with these new products. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

I think my dog has managed better results and she is half blind! However you do have a finger print from the probable pi$$ artist you could use that as forensic evidence to charge and convict someone of model butchery!

On a serious note Chris you are right to expect better and these are poor even by a mass produced product standards, not to mention the poor customer service. Even if they feel the standard is adequate you are the customer and you are not satisfied. They should have at least offered to replace with unpainted figures and offer a credit for your returned monsters figures. At least then you would have been mildly happy, could return the offending articles and they would have kept a customer as well as another potential order with the credit of which they would benefit from as well due to profit margins and resales.

Thank you for the heads up, I'll stick to what I know rather than experimenting with these new products. 

In their defence they have offered to send me unpainted figures and reimburse the difference in cost (which I suggested to them) but only once they receive these back which I appreciate is probably standard practice but I can’t be bothered because I don’t really want to go out in public at the moment especially to the post office

Being 45 I’m nowhere close to getting my first jab yet so I’m not comfortable with going out :blush:

Im just going to put it down to experience and I just won’t order from them again

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I have to say it does look very sub-standard, I found their basic unpainted figures acceptable but then I have always preferred to paint my own as I then get them to a standard I'm happy with so don't buy painted ones.

Let's hope this was a one off that escaped quality control.

Looking at that, I think I will continue to paint my own!!!

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

In their defence they have offered to send me unpainted figures and reimburse the difference in cost (which I suggested to them) but only once they receive these back which I appreciate is probably standard practice but I can’t be bothered because I don’t really want to go out in public at the moment especially to the post office

Being 45 I’m nowhere close to getting my first jab yet so I’m not comfortable with going out :blush:

Im just going to put it down to experience and I just won’t order from them again

Taking into account the cost, your skills and their attitude I think that your decision is the right one. I suspect (and this is a personal view, to which everybody is entitled, publicised or not ;)) that whoever painted this model had done more than enough for the day and was getting a bit slapdash. I can be quite generous when the mood takes me

Whatever the reason, seeing something like this being described as acceptable by the manufacturer is certainly enough to deter this modeller from ever considering their products.

Can I suggest that you remove all traces of paint from the model before you start your version going? No point in trying to cover up all that rubbish when you can start with a decent base.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Well personally I would just burn it and slag them off on twitter and face book. With an attitude like that they don't deserve to have customers at all let alone repeat ones. I've always painted my own as I have experience with military modelling/wargaming figure painting. I used to paint figures for Britains and if any of mine had looked like that I wouldn't have got paid for them and I wouldn't have been sent any more either.

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Well personally I would just burn it and slag them off on twitter and face book. With an attitude like that they don't deserve to have customers at all let alone repeat ones. I've always painted my own as I have experience with military modelling/wargaming figure painting. I used to paint figures for Britains and if any of mine had looked like that I wouldn't have got paid for them and I wouldn't have been sent any more either.

Regards Lez.

I’m not on Twitter or Facebook, I’m too antisocial for social media

• Like 2
  • Funny 10