• RMweb Gold

I looked at my books and searched the t'internet but I can't find a clear example of a simple GWR, "Engines must not pass this point" board.

It might have been a cast plate or a board with cast letters, the sources are not clear.

It might have said "MAY" rather than "MUST".

It might have had a light stone border when fixed to a building but it might have been white.

In other words, there are rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty...

However GWW says that one of the standard "plates" was "Engines may not pass this point" (nothing more) and it was 20.75in by 14.5in. We know that lettering came in certain standard sizes.

So here's an educated guess at a cast iron plate in a font that's close (the signal box nameplate font) with 3in and 2in lettering:

849776787_Enginesmustnot2.png.5a7f07934b104ae0ed2efdc8ad8d3553.png

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I looked at my books and searched the t'internet but I can't find a clear example of a simple GWR, "Engines must not pass this point" board.

It might have been a cast plate or a board with cast letters, the sources are not clear.

It might have had a light stone border when fixed to a building but it might have been white.

However GWW says that one of the standard "plates" was "Engines may not pass this point" (nothing more) and it was 20.75in by 14.5in. We know that lettering came in certain standard sizes.

So here's an educated guess at a cast iron plate in a font that's close (the signal box nameplate font) with 3in and 2in lettering:

Thanks for looking into it for me Phil, it’s appreciated

As there is doubt and uncertainty I may have to resort to Rule #1 and draw one that looks plausible

when it arrives it might still be worth seeing  what the “must not pass this arch” looks like on the building

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Phil, is that an "official" font? Is the .ttf file available anywhere?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Thanks for looking into it for me Phil, it’s appreciated

As there is doubt and uncertainty I may have to resort to Rule #1 and draw one that looks plausible

when it arrives it might still be worth seeing  what the “must not pass this arch” looks like on the building

I can send you the vector file, if it would be useful.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Phil, is that an "official" font? Is the .ttf file available anywhere?

Thanks.

Most (all?) model GWR signal boxes, even on the most famous layouts, use a font that doesn't look right to me so I made one based on the info in "G.W.R. Signalbox Nameplates" by Michael Dunn.

I haven't decided whether to publish it yet because I have a related idea I'm still thinking about.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Most (all?) model GWR signal boxes, even on the most famous layouts, use a font that doesn't look right to me so I made one based on the info in "G.W.R. Signalbox Nameplates" by Michael Dunn.

I haven't decided whether to publish it yet because I have a related idea I'm still thinking about.

Thanks Phil. If you do publish it that would be good. If not, a private copy would be most welcome!

At the moment I use 1.5mm Slater's letters on my models, which are definitely wrong, and the GWR Station Nameboard font (downloaded from the old GWR e-list I think) for the printed signs above my Modratec lever frames, which are better but still slightly narrow wider than the signal box letters I think.

Edited by St Enodoc
clarification
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

These are the only fonts available

SIGNS2.jpg.9b3b22c0cde47ea230f25f2c2832cb5e.jpg

I quite like the bottom left one or maybe the top left one

The size is 16mm x 10mm (4ft x 2ft-6") so quite a lot bigger than @Harlequin mentioned but I have to take into account the limitations of 3d printing and the limitations of my ability to paint it :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

These are the only fonts available

SIGNS2.jpg.9b3b22c0cde47ea230f25f2c2832cb5e.jpg

I quite like the bottom left one or maybe the top left one

The size is 16mm x 10mm (4ft x 2ft-6") so quite a lot bigger than @Harlequin mentioned but I have to take into account the limitations of 3d printing and the limitations of my ability to paint it :lol:

'Painting' the lettering should be no problem. Paint the whole sign the background colour, then use whatever; cylindrical, relatively nonporous item you have to hand (insides of till rolls are good), paint it with a smooth thickish coat of the paint you want the lettering to be in and then gently roll it over the lettering. This should then coat the lettering with a layer of paint, just like a print roller.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Oh and now the top hangers clear the truss frames :)

F0371C62-CFAB-4F66-BF56-09EE66C32D64.jpeg.ff4e566c115b2959d6c7b9d7cc8e835a.jpeg

The saga of the goods shed build is almost as epic as the layout itself. totally worth it, seeing it come along and looking so good.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget to put horizontal scratch marks on the sliding doors Chris, it is inevitable they would get some in normal use, particularly on the Judas gate in the left-hand door, you can guarantee someone, sometime, tried to close or open the main door when the little door wasn't latched properly.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This is far more worn than yours would be, but it does show the difference in levels of wear that different parts of the doors would be subject to, with plenty of damage to the Judas gate. Hope that it's of interest.

6703757819_eff6590d87_b.jpg.bfba4c5128bc0c495f0019953e95bc8e.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Yes, very interesting but I’m not sure that I’m brave enough or confident enough to create that amount of ‘distress’

It wouldn't have been anywhere near that battered until the sixties, so I wouldn't worry about not being able to recreate it. I was just attempting to illustrate @Alister_G's point about the Judas gate getting knocked about.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Yes, very interesting but I’m not sure that I’m brave enough or confident enough to create that amount of ‘distress’

Ah go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on, go-on,

Sorry, Mrs Doyle sneaked in there...

I'm sure you would make a cracking job of it.

You-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will,you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will, you-will,

For heaven's sake SHUT UP Woman!!

Ahem...

Al.

• Funny 9