1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

It’s nice to be missed. It is a great toy and I’m sure would be much better once I’ve figured it out properly.

It's not been the same without you creating something new and making the rest of us realise that we have done precisely zilch.

Will do, I’m still getting to grips with it as there are many settings to play with.

there are loads of ‘how to’ videos on the t’interweb but as always most contradict each other so it’s very much trial and error at the moment

That's what I love about tech, everything from mobile phones, to cars, computers and DCC. 

However you are doing it, whatever make or model you choose, there's always a dozen people waiting to tell you that you're wrong.

Then proceed to tell you everything you never wanted to know, whether you asked for it or not...:D

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That's what I love about tech, everything from mobile phones, to cars, computers and DCC. 

However you are doing it, whatever make or model you choose, there's always a dozen people waiting to tell you that you're wrong.

Then proceed to tell you everything you never wanted to know, whether you asked for it or not...

Sounds like RMweb...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

There will be lots of requests and orders coming your way pretty soon. Watch this space. The day job may have to go!

Maybe but not for a long while as it took several attempts to successfully print a window and a door because I'd got the orientation wrong :blush:

21 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's not been the same without you creating something new and making the rest of us realise that we have done precisely zilch.

Messing about with the printer has just added to my long list of excuses to do zilch myself :lol:

19 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Especially if there's a sniper involved. :hunter:

Very true :lol:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Then proceed to tell you everything you never wanted to know, whether you asked for it or not...:D

I can remember a time when you would get a complete user manual with a product but now all you get is a quick start guide and its assumed you have a degree in computer science to figure out the rest

30 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

9 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Sounds like RMweb...

I tend to apply rule #1 to everything I do now as it saves getting disheartened for doing something "wrong" 

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 7

I shall take on board the advice on prototypical accuracy from those who know more than me about railways. (Just about everyone)

I shall take on board the advice on improving my modelmaking skills from those who know more about modelmaking than I. (Ditto.)

Every day is a school day.

As for those who show up, tell you that you're wrong, fail to explain how you can learn from your mistake and most importantly - fails to show how they overcame that particular pitfall with photographs of their own models.......

Edited by MrWolf
SNAFU
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I can remember a time when you would get a complete user manual with a product but now all you get is a quick start guide and its assumed you have a degree in computer science to figure out the rest

Spare a thought for those of us who do have a degree in computer science!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simonmcp said:

If you really want to feel like a 'Dummy', just buy one of their books. I taught computing and I gave up trying to understand all of their books long ago:blink::wacko::rolleyes:.

I’d need a ‘thick as sh…’s guide :lol:

Plus being dyslexic has its drawbacks when trying to read something complicated….like the Beano

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

As one who wouldn't know one end of a 3d printer from the other, I'm very impressed with what you have achieved so soon. Will the chimney will be a stove pipe?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not that other people are thick, it's that the terminology was deliberately engineered so that it would not cross reference to other academic or practical fields.

The graphic artists of the 80s and the web designers of the 90s didn't want to make themselves replaceable so set about a smoke and mirrors act to make IT seem like a black art. Despite using and teaching CAD/CAM I found a lot of the jargon infantile at best.

Not wishing to be thought of as  technophobes or stick in the mud dirty hands industries, company directors and marketing men couldn't sign cheques fast enough 

so that even many exponents of the trade no longer believed the hype and quit. It all gets a bit King's New Clothes.

Not to worry, every kid who isn't going to be a professional footballer or a celebrity, wants to work in IT. Plenty more cannon fodder... 

It's quite funny because I think of all the designers, illustrators, graphic artists, technical illustrators, advertising copyists etc etc I went to university with, I wonder where they are now?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

As one who wouldn't know one end of a 3d printer from the other, I'm very impressed with what you have achieved so soon. Will the chimney will be a stove pipe?

All things considered, I think that he should go for full interior details...:notme:

Picture won't load

Useless tech....

Edited by MrWolf
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Despite using and teaching CAD/CAM I found a lot of the jargon infantile at best.

Not wishing to be thought of as  technophobe….

CAD is easy to me but then I’ve been using it since I was 20 (after spending 3 yrs on a drawing board of course)

I’m interested and amazed by new technology (except electric cars!) but I do prefer mechanical stuff because anything else is just witchcraft to me

45 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I'm very impressed with what you have achieved so soon.

Thank you but to be honest I’ve not got a clue what I’m doing and I’m just winging it

47 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Will the chimney will be a stove pipe?

I'm going for a brick chimney, just to be awkward :lol:

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Once I’ve finished messing about with the yard office I’m going to look at a coal merchants next, this time I’m going to attempt to make it the same dimensions as the ratio hut that I had free with a magazine….

D527D8B1-242B-4ED7-82B9-2F78A7F534EA.jpeg.e3cd838945c18883efcfef1e535af59b.jpeg

….but using the door, window, roof, chimney and gutters from the kit and just doing the body but in stone……possibly as a mirror image too (just to be awkward)

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

CAD is easy to me but then I’ve been using it since I was 20 (after spending 3 yrs on a drawing board of course)

I suspect we are a similar age. I'm sure most drawing boards were discarded, burnt or otherwise disposed of in the very early years of this century, if not before. I learned to draw with a pencil and squares and it does give you a proper appreciation of the how, even when you use a computer, to create a 2D drawing. They do seem rather outdated now most people are working in 3D and take a disproportionate amount of time. I do wish we could do away them but MBD* is not gained wide enough acceptance, yet.

I’m interested and amazed by new technology (except electric cars!) but I do prefer mechanical stuff because anything else is just witchcraft to me

Amen! I finally bought a car with more than 4 cylinders last year (a V6), whilst I still can, and I'm happy. There are a lot of electronics in it though. I would want any electric car I am forced to have to drive itself and I guess we're 5-10 yrs away from that being mainstream.

Thank you but to be honest I’ve not got a clue what I’m doing and I’m just winging it

The way of the world. Do you really think the rest of us are doing any better. Some differences here is that you have said you are being honest and you show the failures too. The weighbridge looks to have come out well.

*Model Based Definition.

Edited by richbrummitt
right, not left
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

I suspect we are a similar age.

It was my 46th two weeks ago. I’ve been a draughtsman since I was 18 after doing a year in a machine shop (you’ve got to be able to make it yourself before you draw it for someone else to IMO)

39 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

I learned to draw with a pencil and squares and it does give you a proper appreciation of the how, even when you use a computer, to create a 2D drawing. They do seem rather outdated now most people are working in 3D and take a disproportionate amount of time.

Me too but for the week or two I had to print the alphabet/numbers over and over until they were considered neat enough to work on production drawings

We still only draw in 2D at work, I keep suggesting we move out of the dark ages but it always comes back to cost and my colleagues reluctance to change

40 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

Amen! I finally bought a car with more than 4 cylinders last year (a V6), whilst I still can, and I'm happy. There are a lot of electronics in it though. I would want any electric car I am forced to have to drive itself and I guess we're 5-10 yrs away from that being mainstream.

I can’t afford a new proper car never mind an electric one that costs an extra £10-15k

Plus we don’t have off street parking so it looks like I’ll be walking the 15 miles to work :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 4

I sometimes forget what the car market is like in the UK.   Half the cars I've owned have more than 4 cylinders.  None have had less.   Two V8's & three I6's.  

Anyways, the 3D printer seems to function as a drug for any of my friends who pick one up.   Most print .stl that they find online.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

We still only draw in 2D at work, I keep suggesting we move out of the dark ages but it always comes back to cost and my colleagues reluctance to change

Back in 2008, the art studio I worked in, decided to purchase two copies of Cinema 4d for a special project. Only one problem with that, no one in the studio could use it.

I was persuaded to give it a try. But TBH, I found it no different to learning rocket science. I gave up. But after a short while, went back and had another go and fell in love with the damn program. Got completely obsessed with it. Spent every evening and weekend training. And it then became a very useful new skill for a very 2D based, ad agency.

• RMweb Gold

I would love to find a drawing package that lets you draw front/side/plan elevations, then converts that into a 3D image.

I only did technical drawing in school (O Level grade A) and then worked in a cartographic drawing office (A0 drawing board, & 15 drawer Bisley cabinet - both of which I've love to own now), so all the CAD stuff is beyond me (even with c40 years of IT development as a coder/tester).

Chris, how long did the hut take to print ?   And how much resin (cost wise) did it need ? 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I would love to find a drawing package that lets you draw front/side/plan elevations, then converts that into a 3D image.

I only did technical drawing in school (O Level grade A) and then worked in a cartographic drawing office (A0 drawing board, & 15 drawer Bisley cabinet - both of which I've love to own now), so all the CAD stuff is beyond me (even with c40 years of IT development as a coder/tester).

Chris, how long did the hut take to print ?   And how much resin (cost wise) did it need ? 

I too think it would be a great idea to have a package that could convert 2D elevations in to a 3D solid model

I used to own an A0 drawing board but had to get rid of it unfortunately

I’ve always considered CAD to be a computerised drawing board but 3D is something else, the thing I miss about the drawing board is the loss of identity, each draughtsman had their own style/flair and you could tell who had done a drawing without having to look in the title block. CAD has basically robbed draughtsman of their individuality to a certain extent

The print took approximately 6 1/2 hours to print, when I get home I’ll take a look at the file to see how much resin it used etc…it actually used less than I thought!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

7 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I too think it would be a great idea to have a package that could convert 2D elevations in to a 3D solid model

I'm not a CAD user and by no means an expert in design but I understand that packages such as Solidworks or similar will do just that. I imagine that they don't come cheap though.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

I'm not a CAD user and by no means an expert in design but I understand that packages such as Solidworks or similar will do just that. I imagine that they don't come cheap though.

Perhaps they do? I just assumed they didn’t,  however I can guarantee the Managing Director won’t buy it unless it was on offer at 99% off :lol:

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

I sometimes forget what the car market is like in the UK.   Half the cars I've owned have more than 4 cylinders.  None have had less.   Two V8's & three I6's.  

Anyways, the 3D printer seems to function as a drug for any of my friends who pick one up.   Most print .stl that they find online.

I would imagine over there that a 4 cylinder 1.4litre turbo engine would be considered too small for a Magimix food processor

I've not tried to print any illegal substances but it is an addictive bit of technology

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Funny 2