• RMweb Gold

Bigger isn't always better, to be fair.  Lifted from wikipedia:

The BMW M12/13 turbo was a 1500 cc 4-cylinder turbocharged Formula One engine, based on the standard BMW M10 engine introduced in 1961 ... It was capable of 1,400 hp in maximum boost.

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I'm not a CAD user and by no means an expert in design but I understand that packages such as Solidworks or similar will do just that. I imagine that they don't come cheap though.

That is one way you would often make use of them. Essentially you draw curves/shapes as sketches or 3D sketches and use those to drive the geometry. Sub-divisional modelling is a whole separate area but SolidWorks desktop does not do that natively. 

There was an announcement at SolidWorks World 3D Experience World this year that a version of SolidWorks for makers is planned at a price point of something like ~$99/yr, I think it was, due within 12months. I guess for that you get the software (maybe only the online versions - xDesign) with zilch support, except the community forums, else there will be a lot of companies wondering why their price point is orders of magnitude different.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

My brother is a draughtsman and OS trained cartographer and is about the only one in his large nationwide civil engineering/construction firm who knows how to use a drawing board and pencil. The firm are dreading his retirement in 18 months time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Window and door loosely fitted (I noticed a pin hole in the window frame after priming so I need to fill that) but otherwise I’m quite pleased with the results 

CF0F3C65-F1E7-4C0F-9C57-B99C12F5841E.jpeg.cc944720e6690f7e25f4b9f3b39f0dfb.jpeg

Also glued the roof together so it’s looking more like a building now. As usual I’ve run out of primer so I’ll need to make a sight detour and call Halfrauds on the way home from work tomorrow

I think the pin hole is supposed to be where you put the lamp that lights the weighbridge in the gloomy winter. Of course I could and probably am totally wrong:unsure:.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I know I'm going to sound like a stuck record to some of you but Sketchup is really wonderful, IMHO. It's intuitive but also extremely powerful after you've got to grips with the simple stuff.

The basic workflow is that you draw in 2D and then extrude into 3D. You can orbit around your object and zoom in and out using the mouse wheel so it's easy to look at any face and start drawing on it. It becomes second nature.

Thus, you don't need 2D views - the program projects your 2D drawing actions onto the 3D model and so all your work is done in just one window.

The online version is free: https://app.sketchup.com/app

Create a new file, You'll see 3 axes and a simple representation of a person - this is just for scale.

Choose the rectangle tool from the left hand side and draw a rectangle on the ground.

Choose the "push/pull" tool from the left hand side, click on the rectangle and drag upwards. You've got a block.

Scroll the mouse wheel forwards and backwards to zoom in and out. Hold the wheel button down over the block and move the mouse and you can examine your block from all sides.

Draw a rectangle on one of the faces and use the push/pull tool to push it in or out.

You're away!

There are tools for measuring things to get exact sizes and tools for doing all kinds of clever things to make detailed and great looking models.

I have no connection to Sketchup - I'm just a happy user.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

On 07/06/2021 at 19:07, chuffinghell said:

Window and door loosely fitted (I noticed a pin hole in the window frame after priming so I need to fill that) but otherwise I’m quite pleased with the results 

That is looking really good Chris @chuffinghell.

21 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

you’ve got to be able to make it yourself before you draw it for someone else to IMO

9 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

CAD has basically robbed draughtsman of their individuality to a certain extent

Absolutely agree Chris .

Designing with a calculator and drawing on film with rotring pens was a lot more forgiving. 

Plus, when your experience says "that'll be fine" CAD annoyingly works to x decimal places. It needs a button which says 'that's fine for a first go, now please apply some engineering judgement/ common sense'.   

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I loved using Rotring pens, with the right paper I could use them for freehand drawing. I got my O level art using one to do a drawing on top of coloured ink washes.

In the days when 4mm scale wagon transfers were virtually non-existent, I used to letter my models using an 0.1mm Rotring pen and white ink.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

I need to re-print the window as its not quite right but I'm still getting to grips with the settings etc 

In the meantime I've drawn up a coal merchants office, dimensionally the same as the Ratio kit so I can use the roof, doors, windows and guttering straight out of the kit (in theory)

C3A6C115-E5D3-4442-ADAD-9370CEC21B03.jpeg.7405d429217164d6229e183bc3602222.jpeg

Whist drawing it up I thought I might as well draw up the chimney in stone too as I felt the brick one in the kit wouldn't look right (personal prefference)

463472911_coaloffice.jpg.f837d84caed74b3c2522b340f44d735c.jpg

I've not attempted to print it yet but I have set up the file ready 

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Still playing about with the settings on the printer, it doesn’t help being as thick as a brick

That a side, I bough a Bachmann Telephone box….how does this look?

C9E692CB-BAFC-445A-8A5D-66B2E7A621C0.jpeg.c39c062dd8714d9594597f6fc36e7513.jpeg

Didn’t think it very pleasant to put it next to the gents

693E2330-6852-4D44-B8DC-E3049AB8A3BC.jpeg.8abbbdeefcc04282264353360418fa06.jpeg

Ill need to repaint or replace the phone with something less modern 

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Managed to get a better print of the window and the chimney has turned out nicely, especially with a lick of paint

6B117067-F217-407C-9A0A-015AE0C0E4DA.jpeg.34040bd7a635c66753b9769ff23defe7.jpeg

There are so many variables when it comes to 3D printing…I’m finding it a bit overwhelming to be honest (me and technology don’t seem to get on)

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, there are some great tips on the 3d printing forum on RMweb. One thread is all about resin printers and has some tips about orientation which apparently is crucial for getting consistent results. Sorry I am on my phone at the moment so can't put a direct link.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Still playing about with the settings on the printer, it doesn’t help being as thick as a brick

That a side, I bough a Bachmann Telephone box….how does this look?

C9E692CB-BAFC-445A-8A5D-66B2E7A621C0.jpeg.c39c062dd8714d9594597f6fc36e7513.jpeg

Didn’t think it very pleasant to put it next to the gents

693E2330-6852-4D44-B8DC-E3049AB8A3BC.jpeg.8abbbdeefcc04282264353360418fa06.jpeg

Ill need to repaint or replace the phone with something less modern 

Paint the phone an almost glossy black, that ought to backdate it a bit. Don't go mad trying to model the A and B buttons...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, simonmcp said:

Hi Chris, there are some great tips on the 3d printing forum on RMweb. One thread is all about resin printers and has some tips about orientation which apparently is crucial for getting consistent results. Sorry I am on my phone at the moment so can't put a direct link.

Thank you, I’ll do a search 

• RMweb Gold

Would a phone box be on the platform,  or outside the station?

Maybe big termini had phones, but I'm not sure country stations would, especially if there was a charge for platform tickets.

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

It would have been outside near the main entrance rather than on the platform. Even a station the size of Bletchley had them outside the main entrance.

Regards Lez. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Would a phone box be on the platform,  or outside the station?

Maybe big termini had phones, but I'm not sure country stations would, especially if there was a charge for platform tickets.

I may have to resort to rule #1

I have found some photos but I'm assuming these arn't period correct

DD7E3230-0D24-4BAC-A2CE-B81994CAE29E.jpeg.a48dc90d94befd3c456d06a0ad1ede08.jpeg

44A8ED59-E4D4-4014-8F5A-6702AA225662.jpeg.11929ffb9b47282051ef23aef54ece7c.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5
  • Funny 2