• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Chris, You could also get more turning space by setting the building into the bank a little bit and more parallel with the boundary wall. Quite realistic, actually.

In the end though, it's a compressed version of what might have been and if a big lorry can't easily turn off the weighbridge, that would be a small compression compromise and probably lost amongst all the other details.

Funny you should mention that, I thought about that last night

58710EC5-E190-434C-82E7-4FB9785F908A.jpeg.b9477202051b248a8f90dc9dbffc91cb.jpeg

I could potentially go back another 5mm (upto the step) I’m still messing around. I never planned to have a weighbridge so it’s definitely a compromise….and adds some interest

I'm best keep big lorries off the yard :lol:

I’ve reduced the number of sidings by one so I could move the goods shed over and make the yard area bigger and less cramped (less is more) it’s a small rural setting so I think I’ll get away with it

I’ve got some PECO bargeboards, gutters and downpipes (I hope I’m not the only one with a big box of bits I dare not throw away from previous projects and failed builds)

C37258A7-A4BE-4DFE-A53A-E916CDA72D32.jpeg.1e22205d7de9b393b6860c0a282ef01a.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve got some PECO bargeboards, gutters and downpipes (I hope I’m not the only one with a big box of bits I dare not throw away from previous projects and failed builds)

No you're not. I have loads of doors and windows. You can never have too many doors and windows.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A little GPO story. Many years ago, when telephones and Royal Mail were all GPO, a local Telephone overhead gang had to renew a rotten pole, which had a post box mounted on it. So they contacted the local postmaster to send someone with a key as the hoops which held the box on had nuts on the end inside the box. By the time they had disconnected the dozen or  so telephone lines and got everything ready to go no key had turned up. So the decision was made to fell the pole, saw it off just above the post-box and knock the hoops upwards to remove it. Slide the hoops onto the new pole, place in ground, add steps, arms, reconnect all the customers, great.  It was only as they drove away they realised because the new pole was slightly thicker the letterbox was now ten feet off the ground.

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, cliff park said:

It was only as they drove away they realised because the new pole was slightly thicker the letterbox was now ten feet off the ground.

Hence the current high postage cost.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Funny you should mention that, I thought about that last night

58710EC5-E190-434C-82E7-4FB9785F908A.jpeg.b9477202051b248a8f90dc9dbffc91cb.jpeg

I could potentially go back another 5mm (upto the step) I’m still messing around. I never planned to have a weighbridge so it’s definitely a compromise….and adds some interest

I'm best keep big lorries off the yard :lol:

I’ve reduced the track into the yard from three runs to two so I move the goods shed over and make the yard area bigger and less is more as they say.

C37258A7-A4BE-4DFE-A53A-E916CDA72D32.jpeg.1e22205d7de9b393b6860c0a282ef01a.jpeg

I did much the same. Widened the goods yard area by 150mm, lost a siding because I realised that for the size of the place, two sidings would be more than adequate, even taking into account the timber traffic and the regular sheep drives (stampedes?)

As for having boxes full of useful bits, unless you're fortunate enough to have your layout built for you, I would say that a junk box is mandatory. Aside from that, you're keeping a few pounds of plastic out of the oceans.  

IMG_20210613_132856.jpg.6b9ee115496d4cc584a4d909e8520be8.jpg

Guilty as charged.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Luckily I’d got some micro strip so I’ve managed to put a step in the Peco bardgeboards, just looks better in my opinion.

0E4D6C80-9813-42CD-9C5F-CA58925044F1.jpeg.8079f43ed4cb38f3a1680d6344a3aef6.jpeg

I’ve shortened the gutter so I’m having to wait for the filler to dry, so whilst waiting I’ve got no excuse not to tidy up the sh*thole that is the layout room. It needs more than a bit of a tidy up because I’m down to a three inch square work area (I’m not a very tidy modeller :lol:)

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I did much the same. Widened the goods yard area by 150mm, lost a siding because I realised that for the size of the place, two sidings would be more than adequate, even taking into account the timber traffic and the regular sheep drives (stampedes?)

As for having boxes full of useful bits, unless you're fortunate enough to have your layout built for you, I would say that a junk box is mandatory. Aside from that, you're keeping a few pounds of plastic out of the oceans.  

IMG_20210613_132856.jpg.6b9ee115496d4cc584a4d909e8520be8.jpg

Guilty as charged.

You’re much more organised than me, my spare bits get ‘thrown’ into a box

A888254D-F9E1-4CBD-B8A7-666B91DCD752.jpeg.708be50f9dcc5ad24164dc385fd0d2a8.jpeg

I’ll have to sort it out because I bet I’ve got some really useful and interesting bits at the bottom

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ll have to sort it out because I bet I’ve got some really useful and interesting bits at the bottom

Looks like a job lot from somebody who cannot be bothered on eBay!

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You can never have too many doors and windows.

Said like a true double glazing salesman.

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Organised? Not really. I started off with one tub full of junk, now I have two. If I chucked it all in a cardboard box (which I didn't have anyway.) I would doubtless kick it over within minutes of filling it up.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

At least you know all the bits are somewhere in that box. Mine seem to have become spread over several boxes, and I have no idea what's where...

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I have about twenty 8 litre storage boxes, the idea being everything is sorted into boxes, such as spray paint, match pots, wood strip, plastic kit bits, Wills walls, door, windows, vehicles, people, electrical bits, electronic bits, soldering irons, etc, etc, plus several box files for pre-printed sheets, card, embossed sheets, etc.

However, the shelves these are on have become overloaded with junk dumped on top.  I looked at the shelves today, and decided the 2 hours spare I had would not be enough to sort it, so I didn't. 

It was 29 degrees though...

• Friendly/supportive 5

I think that you win there @Stubby47though I also have my art junk added to the mix.

I daren't look in the workshop sometimes. Although the bench is tidy, there's various bits of furniture being restored, tools, several motorcycles, bits of many others, several bicycles, bits of bicycles, spares for the Memsahib's car, bits of automobilia, militaria, valve radios and who knows what else. 

The garage is oddly tidy. There's a Triumph Herald belonging to the Memsahib and a wrought iron gate that a friend asked me to store for a few weeks, two years ago. :mad_mini:

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Nice selection of doors and windows...

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Gutter and downpipes added so the weighbridge/yard office is finished

A810A044-2B03-4551-8D9E-78558F1FBFCA.jpeg.e21a72708534d54891ba12c2af120b02.jpeg

I’ve enjoyed doing that

strictly-come-dancing-show-sweet-montage-of-len-goodman-ts_-00_01_14_04-still031.jpg

• Thanks 1