A coal staithe thingy perchance?

With a considerable saving over buying and modifying the admittedly  rather nice Bachmann sleeper fencing.

Plus it's your design.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-44-595-OO-Gauge-Sleeper-Built-Fencing-/133525899666?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249

Interesting to look at the paint / weathering though.

Good job.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

More cheating :lol:

I'm not sure where the cheating comes in. If you have used a tool to create something that you can use for your modelling, how can that involve cheating? Or have you copied something created by somebody else, something that I have never seen as a model?

A bit puzzled, I am.

• Agree 8

Agreed. I don't even think that a plastic kit is "cheating", making a convincing job of assembling, painting, weathering one is still model making.

Even repainting / weathering an RTP item involves complex observational and practical skills and takes it to a totally different level.

• Agree 6

Very nice Chris @chuffinghell.

Looking forward to the inevitable debate on which way round it needs to go next to a siding. . . . Tall side? Or open side?

Discuss, show your working out and add your reasons. Rule1 may not be applicable. . . . .:huh:

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

They don't go next to the siding at all, either way round.

Coal was loaded from a wagon straight into bags on a lorry parked alongside, or was dumped on the yard floor and manhandled across to the coal merchant's area, where he might have staithes to segregate different grades of coal.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Splendid bit of cheating.

There's just so much involved in building any layout. Some of it a joy, some of it a chore. Exactly why clubs do so well with allocating the right team for each task. But, when you're tasked with doing everything yourself, there's going to be stuff you really don't enjoy but do anyway. I didn't put my hand up for wiring and soldering, but I guess I'm doing it.

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I'm not sure where the cheating comes in. If you have used a tool to create something that you can use for your modelling, how can that involve cheating? Or have you copied something created by somebody else, something that I have never seen as a model?

A bit puzzled, I am.

Not copied as such other than looking at photos and other kits on the market then drawn my own

I only use the term cheating because it’s not been scratch or kit built

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

With a considerable saving over buying and modifying the admittedly  rather nice Bachmann sleeper fencing.

It took 3 hrs to print and used about 50p worth of resin, although it took quite a while to draw it up

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

They don't go next to the siding at all, either way round.

Coal was loaded from a wagon straight into bags on a lorry parked alongside, or was dumped on the yard floor and manhandled across to the coal merchant's area, where he might have staithes to segregate different grades of coal.

I may have to opt for rule one then :blush:

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

If you have a dedicated coal-only siding, then you could probably add the staithes alongside the track. But alongside a 'general' siding would cause issues when wishing to manoeuvre other wagons. Either the coals would be in the way, or when moving the coals the others would be in the way. The only fixed unloading was for cattle, and they generally did have their own siding.

But, Rule 1 definitely applies, and there are probably by-laws or local operating instructions which absolutely, unequivocally, back this up.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Yes it has. You've just used different tools to do it.

Agreed - you didn't buy it, you made it, from raw materials - that's scratchbuilding. The 3D printer is just a tool you used to help you, just the same as a craft knife or steel rule...

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Yes it has. You've just used different tools to do it.

30 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Agreed - you didn't buy it, you made it, from raw materials - that's scratchbuilding. The 3D printer is just a tool you used to help you, just the same as a craft knife or steel rule...

Yeah, we're all saying that, but we all know it's cheating really... ;)

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

If you have a dedicated coal-only siding, then you could probably add the staithes alongside the track. But alongside a 'general' siding would cause issues when wishing to manoeuvre other wagons. Either the coals would be in the way, or when moving the coals the others would be in the way. The only fixed unloading was for cattle, and they generally did have their own siding.

But, Rule 1 definitely applies, and there are probably by-laws or local operating instructions which absolutely, unequivocally, back this up.

This is what I thought of doing

1778932533_coalmerch.jpg.02c18926809512d7a452cc146896604c.jpg

I've looked at reinstating the siding I removed, looks a bit tight though

1259607392_coalmerch2.jpg.8794a675977ef4ba5d9e6b74bf210cbe.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I've no idea about prototypical working, but just by eye the first option looks better to me.  As you say, putting that other siding in seems a bit of a squeeze...  And vehicle access to both of the shorter sidings is compromised too by the look of it?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the GWR would say, "Sorry, our yard at Warren is very small and there isn't enough room for you to operate out of it, Mr. Coal Merchant."

Mr. Coal Merchant would set up his yard somewhere off the public road, nearby.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I think the GWR would say, "Sorry, our yard at Warren is very small and there isn't enough room for you to operate out of it, Mr. Coal Merchant."

Even if the Coal Merchant is the brother of the GWR planning officer? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

16 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

And Mr C Merchant would also pay the GWR to extend that siding out of the yard, across the road into his new coal yard and might even buy himself a little Peckett to work the wagons from Warren and in his yard.  

Oh the wonders of Rule 1

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, KNP said:

Or are you just trying to cram to much in?

Personally the first one looks best but without the coal merchants.

Probably, I just liked the idea of another little building

Originally I was going to put the coal merchants next to the weighbridge hut but it was mentioned that it had to be close to a siding

1028714685_coalmerch3.jpg.625ba87b6f2423b1de544ff52f5204e5.jpg

I had also considered replacing the Y point and making sure there was vehicle access behind the goods shed, possible but a pain in the **** to take up the Y point

1783466685_coalmerch4.jpg.5f33be2d278fb2724e8b4fb0643d3fb7.jpg

Or maybe use it as a stand alone office for the goods shed?

Edited by chuffinghell