Not sure that lorry has been there that long. Aside from the bumper being detached, the nearside wheel being off and the stove-in offside wing, it doesn’t look in too bad condition.

Maybe the tyre was being changed and something hit it?

If you look closely at that picture, the load bed has been unbolted and turned upside down onto a pile of coal. The front bumper and bonnet badge are also missing. I think that the explanation is a lack of stone throwing trespassers.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Look at the state of that abandoned lorry and then explain to me why the windscreens are still intact. Extraordinary!

Well, there have to be SOME standards . . . .:good_mini:

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

If you look closely at that picture, the load bed has been unbolted and turned upside down onto a pile of coal. The front bumper and bonnet badge are also missing. I think that the explanation is a lack of stone throwing trespassers.

See, I looked closely, thought the load bed was still attached and totally disregarded the ‘thing’ on the pile to the left of the photo.

Now I feel like a muppet.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Coal yard untidiness, complete with a junk cab from a lorry. A use perhaps for a kit that fails to please, although I suspect that unlike British Railways, the GWR might have objected to piles of other people's scrap on their property.

knightwickb.jpg.9d66f0bbff4f9ea6e696d300a5292404.jpg

Location please?

• RMweb Gold

Modelscene coal bags?

44528776-58C0-4BF5-A5B5-7108C78DE9F1.jpeg.bb947e3e9b07bcd0d6285a7f062a16e6.jpeg

Ratio coal bags?

C54954BA-3B48-4DC3-830C-206D8536D6F8.jpeg.55a15e7915aaed55f469c0415693783c.jpeg

Cut down modelscene bags?

AA042096-F5EC-4BDE-B56B-19F7F7EDBBDA.jpeg.bfc9653084e764241a9b9b7503657ee2.jpeg

The height of the chap’s shovel is a few millimetres lower than the bag opening unfortunately otherwise it would look quite good….maybe

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Stubby47 said:

The cut-down modelscenes bags look best to me.

A heavy load of coal on that shovel and the men set apart as you have them should be just right.

I thought that too but as usual second guessing myself

I thought maybe at that distance it looked  like he’s swinging his shovel toward the bag :lol:

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ve attempted to lightly weather the truck with a little Humbrol dark earth powder on the running boards, wheels and a little on the bottom of the body,  smoke powder on the bed.

Removed the seams off the sacks as mentioned by @ManofKent and used a file to cut in ‘creases’ to try make it less obvious, painted with railmatch weathered black and the coal then painted with black (I’ll pop some gloss on the coal once dry)

0717A47D-C997-4B0F-BBEA-B9C70BCD3647.jpeg.a50347aec0b6688b93e17027e2d7164c.jpeg

left a bag untouched to show the difference, bags placed over the axle to prevent wheelies :lol:

Apologies for the poor photography :blush:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

The cut-down modelscenes bags look best to me.

A heavy load of coal on that shovel and the men set apart as you have them should be just right.

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I thought that too but as usual second guessing myself

I thought maybe at that distance it looked  like he’s swinging his shovel toward the bag :lol:

Yes the cut down Bag does it for me as well.:good:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

10 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve attempted to lightly weather the truck with a little Humbrol dark earth powder on the running boards, wheels and a little on the bottom of the body,  smoke powder on the bed.

Removed the seams off the sacks as mentioned by @ManofKent and used a file to cut in ‘creases’ to try make it less obvious, painted with railmatch weathered black and the coal then painted with black (I’ll pop some gloss on the coal once dry)

0717A47D-C997-4B0F-BBEA-B9C70BCD3647.jpeg.a50347aec0b6688b93e17027e2d7164c.jpeg

left a bag untouched to show the difference, bags placed over the axle to prevent wheelies :lol:

Apologies for the poor photography :blush:

I remember from my childhood that the Coal sacks were a silvery grey colour and then sooty, (no Sweep was involved in those days.).

image.png.5d81d73dbc76df6f51a24cced5ac728a.png

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

A lot of the heavyweight sacks used for coal prewar were recycled and repaired sacks from feedstuffs and imported goods which soon became blackened. (A Birmingham spring makers was still sending out their products in Brazilian peanut sacks well into the 1990s. The company I worked for would bundle them up when empty and send them back) Coal sacks were also made from surplus Rayon from the tyre industry, these are the silvery grey ones. 

Of course, the self appointed saviours of the planet will tell you how wasteful we used to be! :rtfm:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 29/06/2021 at 18:42, ManofKent said:

I went with modelscene (some trimmed down). Did need a lot of seam removal though...

People overlook the old Merit/Modelscene stuff, with a bit of work, a lot of it is very good. I like to use their oil drums, once the seam is removed with a scalpel. The pump and vent caps are moulded into the top and side. Something that is missing from a lot of more expensive printed or resin examples.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

1920s/30s Avery coal bagging scales. One or two 56lb weights sit on the platform at the back.

Not much different from your picture, which has more of a 1950s look to it engineering wise.

Vintage-Industrial-Avery-Sack-Coal-Scales-Farm-Weigh.jpg.2d7cd93c4f41eef4de5eb9bfab7f6bdf.jpg

So, the man from Avery, he say yes!

history2_350x250.jpg.44d73958f2130756971d31fa857c9311.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Clarity!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

1920s/30s Avery coal bagging scales. One or two 56lb weights sit on the platform at the back.

Not much different from your picture, which has more of a 1950s look to it engineering wise.

Vintage-Industrial-Avery-Sack-Coal-Scales-Farm-Weigh.jpg.2d7cd93c4f41eef4de5eb9bfab7f6bdf.jpg

That looks an easier build in plastic rod than the one in the photo you posted @chuffinghell!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

That looks an easier build in plastic rod than the one in the photo you posted @chuffinghell!

You're quite right, although it would be even easier if I cheat and buy a ready assembled 3D printed one :blush:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2