25 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

You're quite right, although it would be even easier if I cheat and buy a ready assembled 3D printed one :blush:

It’s only cheating if you try and pass it off as having been constructed from scratch.

By the way, I consider drawing up your own stuff on a computer and 3D printing it (or using a silhouette cutter) to also be scratch building rather than “cheating”.

Your goods shed and various little office buildings are excellent!

Edited by Tortuga
Forgot the compliment
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I've got some waterslide transfer paper somewhere, I'll have to see if I can make up a sign for the lorry.

I used it for the signs on Micks Land Rovers but they were very delicate and took several attempts to apply without breaking up

C4367EC6-484D-48DC-B5A3-B4F71939E5A6.jpeg.dfdf836defa75efb72c078565e53d93c.jpeg

I was thinking maybe "WARREN COKE DEALERS" :lol: 

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Need a few of these.

Often the railway company initials were opposite 56lb, especially pre grouping.

1828627841_007(3)newsize.jpg.63173e9827c771fb6b86baf59058c4ca.jpg

Interesting. Ours has ‘W & T AVERY Ltd’ opposite the 56lb. Going to have to have a check of the ones at work now - I guess they’re not exactly rare!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

One place that I worked at that did quite a bit of rail work had two stillages full of them for SWL testing purposes. Most were ex railway, marked NER, GNR, L&Y & LNWR.  They wouldn't fit in my lunch box!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

One place that I worked at that did quite a bit of rail work had two stillages full of them for SWL testing purposes. Most were ex railway, marked NER, GNR, L&Y & LNWR.  They wouldn't fit in my lunch box!

You need a bigger lunch box Wolfy!

Regards Lez.

• Funny 4

They were mostly overhauling side unloading doors for bogie gravel / ballast cars. They also had on the shop floor a couple of power bogies for Manx tramcars with open frame motors. I was working on plug and slam shut valves the oil industry, we were both heading for the back end of nowhere.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris

Not sure if these would be appropriate for a small yard  L120: 2CWT SACK SCALES + SACKS (2) sold by Dart Castings https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/dart/L120.php

I used them in my 2018 CBC 'The Coal Drop'. Not sure if they would have ever been used for weighing sacks of coal - I just thought it looked the part so used them. You can just about make them out in the image below.

Coal Drop scales.jpg

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/06/2021 at 21:31, chuffinghell said:

Row 4 middle diarrhoea brown

I had a Reliant that colour (or very close) and it was always referred to as shyt brown. :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

On 16/06/2021 at 08:19, chuffinghell said:

I’ve decided to reprint the coal merchants at 99% in the hope that this will be sufficient to reduce the gaps around the door and window, if not I’ll just print it again at 98%

I’ve also made a few changes such as increasing the height of the chimney and correcting a few areas I wasn’t happy with

I set it printing this morning before leaving for work so it will be done by the time I get home so fingers crossed

Can I please have the spare 100% and 99% versions. I'm not half so fussy as you!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 18/06/2021 at 05:51, Fishplate said:

Looking forward to the inevitable debate on which way round it needs to go next to a siding. . . . Tall side? Or open side?

On 18/06/2021 at 06:39, Stubby47 said:

They don't go next to the siding at all, either way round.

Coal was loaded from a wagon straight into bags on a lorry parked alongside, or was dumped on the yard floor and manhandled across to the coal merchant's area, where he might have staithes to segregate different grades of coal.

Ooh! Such a fun debate this one. They certainly did go adjacent to sidings and very often, it seems they were placed tall side against the track.

I'm aware they went in lots of other places as well, often some distance from any siding.

Hungerford:
Hungerford.jpg.00330ebe5b0dc65acb0772a0f76001dc.jpg

Mayfield:

623038760_Mayfieldstation.jpg.17240b57aedd48a672d1f80de04b1129.jpg

Wadhurst:

Wadhurst.jpg.b5522845de2511af114539470a181d83.jpg

But if you look at various photos, what does become obvious fairly quickly is that the height of the track-side wall (or the 'rear' wall) of the average coal bin was too high to rest a wagon door on top of it and shovel the coal over directly, so it seems likely that the coal bins were just placed beside the siding simply for convenience in taking up less space and not to allow easy unloading. That would have been done as Stubby says.

There are some exceptions to that and one of them can been seen in the Wadhurst photo above where it seems like a low gap has been created by removing two sleepers in the rear wall of the coal bin. Or it could just be falling to bits - we don't know.

But my view is modellers are free to place coal bins wherever they like in their goods yards and alongside a siding certainly isn't wrong - and nor is placing them far away against the wall of the yard.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 18/06/2021 at 08:24, chuffinghell said:

I only use the term cheating because it’s not been scratch or kit built

Stop doing yourself a dis-service Chris. I have plenty of RTR models on my railway and I don't consider myself a cheat at all. What are RTR models there for?

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 18/06/2021 at 15:18, chuffinghell said:

Just adopting rule #1 for the moment I’ve layed it out because I think seeing it in reality is better than plan views

6E699892-B5E5-4143-90E5-F5C7B2FD6CB2.jpeg.37bc3856b622306b90295c673b00d7b2.jpeg

Regardless of what goes where I think you may need vehicular access around the back of the goods shed and along towards the other sidings. The siding that enters the goods shed has free open standing for wagons along it and the only way they could be accessed for unloading is from the far side of that track because there's the coal siding in the way on this side.

I find that simply poring over as many photos of goods yards, big and small, as the access question was equally valid no mater the size, is a great way to educate yourself on how they functioned.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 20/06/2021 at 21:17, chuffinghell said:

I’m thinking that coal is very sparkly

That's because it is. Coal is extremely shiny, especially Welsh steam coal.

On 20/06/2021 at 21:19, Alister_G said:

Matt varnish

Absolutely not!

This is a pile of coal in the sun. It looks silver. But in fact its shiny black.

Dsc04266.jpg.b9e753f5eb8246345b417f22c9660ec8.jpg

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I don't quite understand the idea of purchasing simulated coal for a layout. I suppose if you have no immediate means of liberating a lump of the real thing.

But then you miss all the child like joy of attacking a lump of coal with a hammer.

Coke isn't shiny and only stove nuts are a regular size.

But they're godless modern rubbish.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

12 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Hungerford

Whilst the goods shed is in a similar style to the one at Hungerford (in Wiltshire) the site arrangement looks all wrong: This place appears to be a terminus with an island platform. Is this another Hungerford or somewhere else?

The coal bins are certainly of interest to the discussion in this thread however. 

11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I don't quite understand the idea of purchasing simulated coal for a layout. I suppose if you have no immediate means of liberating a lump of the real thing.

But then you miss all the child like joy of attacking a lump of coal with a hammer.

Coke isn't shiny and only stove nuts are a regular size.

But they're godless modern rubbish.

Works for me. I have a few lumps found alone the disused branch that I will also be modelling. Gave them a quick swipe with a hammer and Bobs your Uncle. Used it for my O gauge pannier, OO gauge prairie, as well as wagon loads, just the job Sir.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 01/07/2021 at 21:04, 57xx said:

I had a Reliant that colour (or very close) and it was always referred to as shyt brown. :)

I am sure one of those browns in that colour card was officially known as "compost heap".

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

The replacement part arrived from DG models Autocraft so I’ve been able to finish my 1930 Austin 5cwt van

I've put a spot of glue n glaze in the headlamps once fully dry they’ll be less cloudy….hopefully 

2CBA76BD-6283-4819-BB7C-EC108A6DB253.jpeg.4d28494cf963562abf24709d60e61c0f.jpeg

Cruel close up :unsure: plus the lighting isn’t great :wacko: but once placed just past the bridge on the layout it will be at least 2ft further away than photographed

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2