• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Ponthir28 said:

I worked for over forty years as a toolmaker we always called a vernier a guessing stick. Both digital and analogue. Micrometer checked against slip gauges for anything accurate.

I'm just a drawing monkey so I just need to make sure I accurately select the correct button on the coffee machine

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Serious question - how do you calibrate the digital ones?

At work someone comes and checks them to a standard. I believe this involves measuring against a number of gauge blocks (previously checked/calibrated) at various points across the range. For a 150mm caliper (correct terminology :tomato:) this might be 50mm 100mm &c.

I don't know if you can change the value on the readout for adjustment. Once, upon checking, the Facom branded one that I had at work (about £90) got consigned to scrap because it was badly out of line with what it should have been reading after just two years. What you could do is keep a table of adjustments with the device to correct the readings from the display. It would be a right PITA though. We buy Insize now. They seem to be decent, especially for the price. 

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

We just tell the inspector during the annual ISO quality standards audit that you don't use them which in a way is true because we only design and assemble 'in house' all components are made elsewhere to our drawings/specifications

Mark 'For indication only' and you should avoid the question. How do you check that the parts are what you asked for - do you simply trust the suppliers? 

The facility to switch between metric and imperial at the touch of a button comes in useful

My own vernier calipers have both inches (top) and mm (bottom). They have never been calibrated though. For some things it just seems like a license to grab money IMO.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, richbrummitt said:

.......How do you check that the parts are what you asked for - do you simply trust the suppliers? 

A combination of trusting the suppliers or giving them a b*llocking if stuff doesn't fit together :lol: assuming its not because I've designed/drawn it wrong because everyone makes mistookes, its why they put rubbers on pencils

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Stripe made wider 0.13mm too wide at 2.8mm :lol: (not bad considering I did it by eye)

post has been painted black 16mm (4’) up from what will be the base

D89EBB33-8E05-4F29-8281-F7BDC2040149.jpeg.c47e66d57925edf8e0d6a3456976ce85.jpeg

close enough for me

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I too was a toolmaker (press tools and moulds) and I totally agree with you but sometimes, as in this case, a micrometre is not appropriate nor the right tool for the job. I still have my DTI and slip gauges but my face plate isn't much use as it needs a regrind and I don't have access to a surface grinder. 

Regards Lez.

I inherited my vernier, a micrometer and several vee blocks from an uncle who was a toolmaker. I hardly ever use the mic and the vee blocks are handy for holding things down while glue dries. The vernier gets used very frequently though.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

I don't know if you can change the value on the readout for adjustment. Once, upon checking, the Facom branded one that I had at work (about £90) got consigned to scrap because it was badly out of line with what it should have been reading after just two years. What you could do is keep a table of adjustments with the device to correct the readings from the display. It would be a right PITA though. 

That's the bit I wasn't sure about - thanks.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Knowing my luck I’ve probably put it too far away from the track and too close to the bridge :wacko:

I will await comments before permanently gluing in place

On straight track, a clearance of about 30mm from the track centre line is the minimum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The thing is a work of beauty Chris. My only concern is that with the bridge that close that might be a repeater with the main signal at the top of the post which would be much taller so it could be seen as the train approached the bridge.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

On straight track, a clearance of about 30mm from the track centre line is the minimum.

I’ve got it approximately 43mm centre of the track to centre of the post

7 hours ago, lezz01 said:

The thing is a work of beauty Chris. My only concern is that with the bridge that close that might be a repeater with the main signal at the top of the post which would be much taller so it could be seen as the train approached the bridge.

Regards Lez. 

Thanks Lez

unless I have misinterpreted* what @St Enodoc said in an earlier post (*highly probable) there is a ‘banner repeater’ off stage on the other side of the bridge as it’s approached?

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve got it approximately 43mm centre of the track to centre of the post

Thanks Lez

unless I have misinterpreted* what @St Enodoc said in an earlier post (*highly probable) there is a ‘banner repeater’ off stage on the other side of the bridge as it’s approached?

I wasn't being entirely serious (what, me?) but my point was that once you're off-stage anything can happen, or not. The non-existent banner repeater would be a way of answering (i.e. shutting up) any smart alecs who challenge the position of the signal itself.

On my layout I have the opposite situation. There is a place where a banner repeater exists but the signal it repeats doesn't, because it would be on the other side of the backscene in the off-stage area. Why did I install the repeater? Because the drivers need to know whether the non-existent signal is at stop or clear.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I wasn't being entirely serious (what, me?) but my point was that once you're off-stage anything can happen, or not. The non-existent banner repeater would be a way of answering (i.e. shutting up) any smart alecs who challenge the position of the signal itself.

On my layout I have the opposite situation. There is a place where a banner repeater exists but the signal it repeats doesn't, because it would be on the other side of the backscene in the off-stage area. Why did I install the repeater? Because the drivers need to know whether the non-existent signal is at stop or clear.

It got me thinking that on my next layout I could just have a plain length of track with the goods yard, station and everything else off stage :lol:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

It got me thinking that on my next layout I could just have a plain length of track with the goods yard, station and everything else off stage :lol:

Just like Pete Waterman! :wink_mini:

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

You could leave off the track and just add a couple of cyclists...

• Like 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

You could leave off the track and just add a couple of cyclists...

But then there'd be pages of debate as to whether they're wearing the right colour of lycra for the era portrayed...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

If you went truly modern image, you'd have to change the lycra and the bicycle every month to keep up with what the cycling magazines say is "in" this week - Buy this shirt and these pedals and you too could win the Tour de France! 

Or look silly riding to the office....

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
Just now, MrWolf said:

If you went truly modern image, you'd have to change the lycra and the bicycle every month to keep up with what the cycling magazines say is "in" this week - Buy this shirt and these pedals and you too could win the Tour de France! 

Or look silly riding to the office....

You say this after posting pictures of Miss Hood in lycra...

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

She'd just been to the early session at the gym with yours truly. (Can you tell that we're not married? :D)

When a friend who owns a shop full of strange relics and calls you in with "Look what I just found!", you don't really care about dressing for the occasion.

Besides, as I'm sure that you are aware, there's some serious aesthetic differences between a 25 year old woman wearing lycra and a 45 year old man wearing lycra! :fie:

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Besides, as I'm sure that you are aware, there's some serious aesthetic differences between a 25 year old woman wearing lycra and a 45 year old man wearing lycra! :fie:

Or a 48 year old woman wearing lycra (who runs, cycles, does pump, HiiT & toning) and her over 50 overweight husband running in the winter wearing lycra

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It's the competitive fashion bulls*it that irritates me with cycling, I just don't get it. 

I cycle a lot (Did very well in time trials as a teenager.) and have had plenty of people tell me that I am not a "serious cyclist", which upsets them when I pass them wearing jeans, work boots and riding a bike that mostly dates back to 1978.

I'd never have made it as a professional cyclist, but neither would they. I might work out, cycle, play badminton even, but I still enjoy a cheeky fry up or a pint of Old Mindwarper. I've found that keeping active is a good way to keep the demons at bay. I was told at 32 I will probably always need to walk with a stick. 17 years on, it's not happened yet!

I was partly inspired by a friend of mine who was told at 15 that by the time she was 21 she would be in a wheelchair. Just doing plenty of excercise and eating a very varied diet, she overcame it, brought up two children and at the age of 71 is currently renovating a 30s bungalow in Somerset. If she can, I have no excuse!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's the competitive fashion bulls*it that irritates me with cycling, I just don't get it. 

It's the same in many hobbies I think, especially the sporting ones - when I used to be more involved in motorsport it was clear to see the difference in attitiude between those who had spent many thousands of pounds on their cars, and were thoroughly miserable because they'd only come third, and those who had spend a few hundred, and were having a whale of a time despite ending up 23rd.

Even better when those in the second group came higher in the results than those in the first, because they actually knew how to drive properly...

• Like 7
  • Agree 1