• RMweb Gold

I wondered if it was something to do with protection of the pipe from a fire devil too

anyway is this a photo of the same location but without the black band?

0FFFB00C-FDB2-4DE9-9E21-CB508D340263.jpeg.cf091c8d4c3c62b3e598c82475f8aca9.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been looking at the placement of the tank and wondered which of drawing bellow would be better?

1278631635_WaterTank.jpg.bf858d11cdcae845aac9cce5936e6b14.jpg

It's a bit cheeky to do a direct copy of @KNP's arrangement so I wondered if the lower sketch would still be feasible

I do like the lower drawing but I appreciate the opinion of those 'in the know'

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I'd go for the first one.  Equal divisions always look a bit weird to my eye.  I'm sure @KNP won't mind!

I agree, however the slabs themselves still wouldn't be equally spaced, the second sketch just puts the fire devil in the centre of the outlet pipe

I've tried to illustrate below

1202920771_WaterTank3.jpg.05d0d853f75e351f0cbca24e202f09af.jpg

I was just assuming the fire devil goes more central on the outlet pipe :scratchhead:

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

A third option would be to make the drain slab longer and move the fire devil more central?

914327539_WaterTank4.jpg.0b0d6400a511cb95edebfc6fbe62f2a2.jpg

Again I don't know how important the position of the fire devil is

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It makes sense (to me) to have the fire devil in the middle of the horizontal part of the pipe, though I can't see how water would stay in there and freeze (I'm assuming the 'horizontal' part is actually slightly sloped).

In which case, I'd have put the heat source under the main tank, but it obviously wasn't.

Hope that helps... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

It makes sense (to me) to have the fire devil in the middle of the horizontal part of the pipe, though I can't see how water would stay in there and freeze (I'm assuming the 'horizontal' part is actually slightly sloped).

In which case, I'd have put the heat source under the main tank, but it obviously wasn't.

Hope that helps... 

Thanks Stu, I assumed the same/similar

Good point about the slope though, I've not built the kit as yet but looking at the parts I can't see any reason why I couldn't angle it down slightly

I've also assumed that the tank is filled through the central support, I've looked for sectional drawings but I've been unsuccessful, I even thought that there would have been a manhole cover to access a shut off valve (unless thats usually buried by ballast or under the fire devil...........I'm no doubt over thinking as usual

Maybe the fire devil was a red herring and was simply a means of boiling kettles, making toast and warming ones backside in winter :lol:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

The fire devil in Mike's photos above is a lot closer to the tank, I notice.

Al.

I'd not noticed that....I need to go to the opticians!

Also would you say the slab looks similar to my last sketch?

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I'd not noticed that....I need to go to the opticians!

Also would you say the slab looks similar to my last sketch?

Yes I would, it looks very good.

Al.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It'd make more sense, to my mind, to have the heat close to the tank - as others have mentioned, the outlet won't be full of water when it's not operating, and I'd have thought it'd be the valve that was most at risk of freezing. I might be wrong though!

There's a couple of photos on this page of the one at Lambourne - that looks to be close to, if not under, the tank. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I wondered if it was something to do with protection of the pipe from a fire devil too

anyway is this a photo of the same location but without the black band?

0FFFB00C-FDB2-4DE9-9E21-CB508D340263.jpeg.cf091c8d4c3c62b3e598c82475f8aca9.jpeg

Yes. The ‘stock photo’ on the previous page is the same tank taken from the platform rather than the car park and also shows it without the black band on the outlet. 

My guess is that the modern paint is not as robust and additional protection has been added for the kind of heat a localised fire can output. The edges are a far too neat for a scorched patch. It is only a guess. 

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking the same as Stubby, why would you want to heat an empty pipe, surely you'd be wanting to keep anything with water in it warm. The valve for the water is in the tank itself. I had a quick scan through a couple of books and sure enough, the fire devils are all shown under the edge of the tank. They appear to be mostly situated on the cinders/ballast at the edge of the concrete plinth for the actual tower.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 57xx said:

I was thinking the same as Stubby, why would you want to heat an empty pipe, surely you'd be wanting to keep anything with water in it warm. The valve for the water is in the tank itself. I had a quick scan through a couple of books and sure enough, the fire devils are all shown under the edge of the tank. They appear to be mostly situated on the cinders/ballast at the edge of the concrete plinth for the actual tower.

I’d already drawn something up to take a left over piece from a Peco inspection pit kit for the fire devil to sit on

248B199B-28FB-4497-81F1-7869F02F9C29.jpeg.8a8006af1020dcde9c32671e3e2c3079.jpeg

and came up with this

A2C6DA5D-F2C4-4900-BB71-5BECE4EA6097.jpeg.8fb0b0e6c3adf79ac8b34f06efb43db6.jpeg

but I’m not sure I like it

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, sidmouth said:

wouldn't the fire devil be closer to the valve which I presume you would not want freezing 

Yes, exactly.

Here's a not great pic of Lambourn, you can just make out how close the chimney of the fire devil is to the tower. Alternate views in one of the books shows it sat on the cinders right next to the towers plinth, it's not got it's own hard standing.

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=122175&search=Bledlow%2C+GWR&page=12

That said, as non-permanent fixtures, I'm sure their position varied, some sites may have had a hard standing for them. Examples of varied position at the same site:

http://www.rosscivic.org.uk/index.php?page=ross_541-Old_pictures_and_photos_from_Ross&pg=full

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m not going to bother with the fire devil for now

Pop it in the lamp shed until the weather gets colder, then drag it out when required. :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Pop it in the lamp shed until the weather gets colder, then drag it out when required. :)

Any model I’ve seen has the fire devil under the main outlet which is where I was going to put it but I appear to have inadvertently opened up a huge can of worms

So I'm just going to do the drain and tank base. I might put the fire devil on the ballast or I might not

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

I think you just found the classic issue of modelers doing it wrong to the point of the doing it right doesn't look so.

Like how the Caunter camo scheme is still shown in baby blue.

Basically the same as “can’t do right for doing wrong”

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, chuffinghell said:

Basically the same as “can’t do right for doing wrong”

No, I'd say it's where the phrase "don't do a model of a model" comes from. You just don't know what research the other modeller has done or whether they just did what they thought was right.

This thread is evidence you do do the research though.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I appear to have inadvertently opened up a huge can of worms

You appear to have asked the right questions. This once again shows that fidelity matters to you and is why (I believe) so many follow and contribute here. 

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1