• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Interesting. I was under the impression that the person operating the lever should be facing a train for which the person is setting the route.

But in sidings, movements could be from any direction - though I guess when changing them, it's most likely that the next movement will be a facing move.

• Agree 1

Not qualified to comment really, but I think this question has an answer at:

When I read it, seems like you face the lever towards the toe end, so you’re looking that way when pulling the point for a train to enter.

Top modelling btw (not sure I would have thought to even ask the question…)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SimonDCC said:

When I read it, seems like you face the lever towards the toe end, so you’re looking that way when pulling the point for a train to enter.

I need to double away smartly and check my point levers now.  I have a horrible feeling they're facing the wrong way!

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SimonDCC said:

Thank you, I did find that but it just complicated matters for me (I’m not the sharpest tool in the box)

I can’t quite get my head around the ‘direction of travel’ when traffic would run in both directions whilst shunting

I’m adopting rule #1 and just sticking them on after flipping a coin to decide which way round to put them :lol:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

Thanks for bringing this topic up.  I've been wondering which way to do the levers as well, although I haven't got as far as being ready to stick them on to the frame (although I'll probably go with tacky wax so if they get knocked they might be less prone to breaking.  

Just to add to peoples' options (or at least considering other options), I got some white metal ones from a firm called Knightwing (no connection by the way, just commenting on my purchase).  I selected the two best mouldings to avoid trimming flash and seams too much, and popped them on.  It's a first go, so I'm not sure if the level relative to the sleepers/track is quite right, but it needs to clear the point mechanism (although I did cut off the little upright protrudence for this one, I’m using standard Hornby track by the way).  The ground level is the top of a layer of picture card, so I cut a hole into the card and so the frame is supposed to part-embedded in the ground.  That said, it needed enough room for theta bit of the point mechanism which sticks out as I didn’t want to cut that bit off.  The picture card was already down as I'm using it as the base for the goods yard floor.  

Photos below in case these are of interest.  The level assembly is just popped on at the moment, hence it isn't quite aligned properly... that’s me being a biff, it isn't to do with the product!!

CIMG3629.JPG

CIMG3630.JPG

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I need to double away smartly and check my point levers now.  I have a horrible feeling they're facing the wrong way!

Well at least I've been consistent - they're all facing the wrong way...

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Thank you, I did find that but it just complicated matters for me (I’m not the sharpest tool in the box)

I can’t quite get my head around the ‘direction of travel’ when traffic would run in both directions whilst shunting

I’m adopting rule #1 and just sticking them on after flipping a coin to decide which way round to put them :lol:

Yes, there are two directions of travel - trailing or facing.

In the trailing direction (from the frog towards the blades) the lever doesn't come into play at all, because the wheels move the blades across when they pass through (as in the thread quoted above).

In the facing direction (from the blades towards the frog) the lever is used to change the points. The lever is moved in the same direction every time - you don't pull it one way for one route and the other for the second route.

The lever should be arranged so that when you are pulling it the frog is behind you.

Does that help?

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes, there are two directions of travel - trailing or facing.

In the trailing direction (from the frog towards the blades) the lever doesn't come into play at all, because the wheels move the blades across when they pass through (as in the thread quoted above).

In the facing direction (from the blades towards the frog) the lever is used to change the points. The lever is moved in the same direction every time - you don't pull it one way for one route and the other for the second route.

The lever should be arranged so that when you are pulling it the frog is behind you.

Does that help?

that maybe where I was getting confused assuming the lever operated the point in both directions?

So is this the correct way round?

4E27055F-EA02-4DF6-B49A-A91BC73F6794.jpeg.845074ae5d4f15795a5b3ee75e6aa9aa.jpeg

and the lever for the point next to it would be a mirror image?

8E947B5D-FD1C-434A-9E67-C2153186450F.jpeg.9c3a80c737190b63e2e723ec5c39571a.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

that maybe where I was getting confused assuming the lever operated the point in both directions?

4E27055F-EA02-4DF6-B49A-A91BC73F6794.jpeg.845074ae5d4f15795a5b3ee75e6aa9aa.jpeg

and the lever for the point next to it would be a mirror image?

8E947B5D-FD1C-434A-9E67-C2153186450F.jpeg.9c3a80c737190b63e2e723ec5c39571a.jpeg

Yes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

There's two types of lever, this one has a mechanism underneath that changes the direction that the blades are moved, you pull the lever and release it to change the point and it also sets the mechanism for returning the blades with the next pull. I think this type of mech has a way of locking the blades across so they can only be changed with the lever. The other type where you throw over a weighted lever is much simpler, throw it over one way or the other to change the point, the weight holds it in place. Mikkel has used this type on his Farthing layouts, I have used the MSE cast ones as they are near enough the type the NER used.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

There's two types of lever, this one has a mechanism underneath that changes the direction that the blades are moved, you pull the lever and release it to change the point and it also sets the mechanism for returning the blades with the next pull. I think this type of mech has a way of locking the blades across so they can only be changed with the lever. The other type where you throw over a weighted lever is much simpler, throw it over one way or the other to change the point, the weight holds it in place. Mikkel has used this type on his Farthing layouts, I have used the MSE cast ones as they are near enough the type the NER used.

True enough, Paul, but on 1930s GWR the "two-way" type that Chris has modelled was by far the most common.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

True enough, Paul, but on 1930s GWR the "two-way" type that Chris has modelled was by far the most common.

I thought they would be a lot of them by then, I read Chris's post that he was thinking it was lever one way for point one way and the other for the other.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Worsdell forever said:

I thought they would be a lot of them by then, I read Chris's post that he was thinking it was lever one way for point one way and the other for the other.

Yes, that's what we've been sorting out. The action isn't obvious if you've never seen them in real life.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

I have used the MSE cast ones as they are near enough the type the NER used.

Which were still in use at Newcastle Central in the early 70s.  (And probably until the ‘new’ island platform was built in the 80s.)

Paul.

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I wish I hadn’t, it’s a bl00dy nightmare :lol:

You ask the questions others don't. You assume it's "because I'm being thick" when in fact it shows intelligence to be thinking about it in the first place. Then, as the discussion ensues, lots of your readership learn something and your model becomes even more realistic. Keep asking them questions!! :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The problem is, that no matter what the subject of common interest is, be it cars, sports or railways, we all feel like we're asking silly questions. 

It's because somewhere in our own heads, we think that everyone else already knows what we don't and there is generated the fear that the answer should already be known to us and the response will be: "You should know that, you're an enthusiast of this subject."

It's NEVER the case. Nobody can know everything and every day is a school day as far as I am concerned!

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

52 minutes ago, 57xx said:

You ask the questions others don't. You assume it's "because I'm being thick" when in fact it shows intelligence to be thinking about it in the first place. Then, as the discussion ensues, lots of your readership learn something and your model becomes even more realistic. Keep asking them questions!! :)

I agree (for what that's worth!).  We can't all be experts on everything, so if we are improving ourselves in something then it makes sense to learn, and learn by asking and being inquiring and interested.  I've done quite well at work by being prepared to ask the 'back to first principles' questions and then finding out that no one or very people few people know the answers because they'd either been afraid to ask or weren't curious enough.  Same applies to  this new hobby!  I'm trying to create something with some thought behind it, but in many areas I don't have any knowledge.  So the only way I can learn is to ask, unless I want to create something totally based on my imagination and preconceptions.  So, thank you for being one of those people who asks the questions, so that others may also learn.  Thank you to those who share their insight and knowledge and ideas.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

The problem is, that no matter what the subject of common interest is, be it cars, sports or railways, we all feel like we're asking silly questions. 

It's because somewhere in our own heads, we think that everyone else already knows what we don't and there is generated the fear that the answer should already be known to us and the response will be: "You should know that, you're an enthusiast of this subject."

It's NEVER the case. Nobody can know everything and every day is a school day as far as I am concerned!

The quote I like is "the only stupid question is the one that was never asked"

• Like 2
  • Agree 6