Just putting this out there......but could you build only one side of the canal thereby making the goods yard that much bigger.

Or just disappearing of the edge of the board near the road bridge?

Just a thought?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, KNP said:

Just putting this out there......but could you build only one side of the canal thereby making the goods yard that much bigger.

Or just disappearing of the edge of the board near the road bridge?

Just a thought?

An excellent thought!

unfortunately the position has been dictated by the position of the canal bridge, it’s just a perfect example of poor planning

I'm not saying it’s impossible though, more procrastination required 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Good point, the bridge doesn't need to move, the canal is really only a scenic feature and I didn't realize you were modelling both banks. Most docks and basins I have seen are open to the layout edge, helps with the sense of space and saves having to model the other side of the Bristol channel in the neighbours house. :D

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, KNP said:

Can post the latest plan for the canal and canal bridge area, you know never know many heads procrastinating can come up with a resolution.......

Thanks 

I’m sure I can dig it out, in the meantime I’ve been putting my degree in general bodgery to good use by

feathering in the hardboard

193B277A-4ECC-4369-9DCC-C784334FE309.jpeg.63226414c128b4c8de446a627cc4a85e.jpeg

and attempting to come up with an infill solution which will most probably involve a splodge or two of Polyfilla

A0844C63-803C-4EF0-A7A1-0157BB9FCE63.jpeg.0119d041844a451ad7c6f979f683c2af.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

Good point, the bridge doesn't need to move, the canal is really only a scenic feature and I didn't realize you were modelling both banks. Most docks and basins I have seen are open to the layout edge, helps with the sense of space and saves having to model the other side of the Bristol channel in the neighbours house. :D

the canal actually started life as a stream but I decided a manmade cancal with straight lines and engineered curves would better serve my OCD and my IFR (irrational fear of random) :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chuffers!

I've suggested this before but I'll try again! :smile_mini: Can ye no do this?

ChuffingHell3.png.9c8e9d7063866f602011583015e729c2.png

I know it might be difficult and may mean undoing some stuff that's already been done but wouldn't it be worth the hassle to open up the yard and give everything room to breathe? Lots of room for lorries to turn and get at the weighbridge, the staithes and the loading doors in the shed...

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

That makes sense. I suspect that quite a bit of that green area between the railway and the canal can be pinched by the goods yard too.

potentially yes but I didn’t want to get into the whole ‘the embankment is too steep’ debate which is why it’s a nice steady slope 

CA1148BE-4592-4F5D-83E6-B0EB40624C76.jpeg.8a20d5298ed4cc08a3d578004051bf28.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Thanks Chuffers!

I've suggested this before but I'll try again! :smile_mini: Can ye no do this?

ChuffingHell3.png.3f5865d6894116206c02d62ddb0f48d2.png

I know it might be difficult and may mean undoing some stuff that's already been done but wouldn't it be worth the hassle to open up the yard and give everything room to breathe? Lots of room for lorries to turn and get at the weighbridge, the staithes and the loading doors in the shed...

Food for thought and a similar suggestion by @Schooner I’ll have to give it some thought

Its probably my obsession with having the canal and rail following the land that’s the problem

I'll do better in my next layout…..maybe :lol:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

The embankment angle would stay the same - that's why there needs to be a retaining wall, not just a boundary wall perched on top of the embankment.

Near the tunnel mouth the embankment would be about 50mm wide and meet retaining wall quite low down.

It would get wider and wider further west until the embankment meets yard level and then the retaining wall is no longer needed and stops.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

The embankment angle would stay the same - that's why there needs to be a retaining wall, not just a boundary wall perched on top of the embankment.

Near the tunnel mouth the embankment would be about 50mm wide and meet retaining wall quite low down.

It would get wider and wider further west until the embankment meets yard level and then the retaining wall is no longer needed and stops.

I think I understand but I must admit it’s a little difficult to visualise it on a 2D plan

48 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

potentially yes but I didn’t want to get into the whole ‘the embankment is too steep’ debate which is why it’s a nice steady slope 

CA1148BE-4592-4F5D-83E6-B0EB40624C76.jpeg.8a20d5298ed4cc08a3d578004051bf28.jpeg

Food for thought and a similar suggestion by @Schooner I’ll have to give it some thought

Its probably my obsession with having the canal and rail following the land that’s the problem

I'll do better in my next layout…..maybe :lol:

3 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Chris, what I think Phil / Harlequin is suggesting is maybe a double wall to keep the slope the same, a bit like I've done between the Road and Cottage in my Harbour.

IMG_6205.JPG.8d3d531f66ca4b6b31a778afbaadfdf8.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I'm imagining he was imagining one large retaining wall (marked in brown). Imagine the left wing buttress thingy on the bridge extending as a large wall around the edge of the extended goods yard area. You would have a small bit of slop beneath the large retaining wall and at the top, the land will be the same level as the existing yard.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m thinking of using ready mixed polyfilla

Stir a good dollop of white wood glue / PVA into it. Stops the wood absorbing the water and causing the filler to shrink / crack. Makes it more resilient too.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5