• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, sb67 said:

Shame about the cleaner Chris, I thought that would be a good alternative to the wire ones, what was the problem with it? Looks good in the video's I've seen.

The one I use is from Gaugemaster but you have to hold the loco on it to clean the wheels. 

the main issue was when placing the loco on the ‘track’ nowt happened, not even a ‘twitch’ even though the loco works fine

I bought it based on videos I’d watched. Maybe it was just a faulty one?

• Friendly/supportive 5

Yeah, how you send power to the cleaner is trash.   Alligator clips, either to the track or to the outputs straight off of your power.   Then you get thin metal strips to actually transfer power to the locomotive.    No good for deep cleaning.

I see OK results after use on  well-maintained loco in N.  N is a lot more sensitive to continuity than OO or HO, though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have a wheel cleaner but it don't work very well. As for the rolling road I use DCC Concepts rollers now for EM/P4 but I have 4 flair Rail ones that work very well for 00 diesels.

Regards Lez.   

19 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

on the plus side I can return both items free of charge for a refund

I would definitely do that.

I bought something like this though it wasn't the Gaugemaster one and it definitely didn't cost that much. I bought 2 in fact which clip together to allow twin power bogie diesels to use them (yes, sorry... I confess to having some diseasal stock as Annie calls it).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaugemaster-GM-GM59-Scale-Wheel-Cleaning/dp/B01FFDRBUI/ref=asc_df_B01FFDRBUI/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310762591863&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6669903020286824624&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006984&hvtargid=pla-756417051072&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

For rolling road I bought a pack of DCC Concepts rollers - just 6 of them and I've ever only used 4 at once since pony and bogie trucks do NOT need supporting. If someone sells you a wheeled/rolling support for non-powered axles they are taking the Mick, so save yourself some ££.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well yes broadly speaking you're right Martin. However if your locos are compensated, like my EM locos are, then the pony truck/bogies will still need supporting even if the support doesn't revolve.

Regards Lez.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I made a wheel cleaner from a wire suede brush.

Yes, it only does one set of wheels at a time, and you gave to invert the loco, but it works well.

Still using my old Tri-ang one!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I would definitely do that.

I bought something like this though it wasn't the Gaugemaster one and it definitely didn't cost that much. I bought 2 in fact which clip together to allow twin power bogie diesels to use them (yes, sorry... I confess to having some diseasal stock as Annie calls it).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaugemaster-GM-GM59-Scale-Wheel-Cleaning/dp/B01FFDRBUI/ref=asc_df_B01FFDRBUI/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310762591863&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6669903020286824624&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006984&hvtargid=pla-756417051072&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

For rolling road I bought a pack of DCC Concepts rollers - just 6 of them and I've ever only used 4 at once since pony and bogie trucks do NOT need supporting. If someone sells you a wheeled/rolling support for non-powered axles they are taking the Mick, so save yourself some ££.

I did look at something like that (trix I think?) but the wire brushes look quite aggressive

The DCC concepts rollers are very good, I only bought the Hornby one because it looked neat and tidy (stupid reason I know) my current test track takes up quite a bit of desk space….I could always make a shorter one

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Well yes broadly speaking you're right Martin. However if your locos are compensated, like my EM locos are, then the pony truck/bogies will still need supporting even if the support doesn't revolve.

Regards Lez.

I support all the wheels driven or not, mostly for stability but then I do have twelve of them, good for running in multiple locos at once

3E5A04E8-365C-4BF4-B4FE-C508FF750C57.jpeg.a43e5055473a9cccd512ed1370b8868e.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Still using my old Tri-ang one!

You and me both. My Dad bought it for me. If I had to guess, I must have been five or six years old at the time. 

Rob. 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Regards Lez.

I'm sorry Lez - my bad - I wasn't clear - I support mine as well, there is just no need to invest in more rollers is what I meant.

19 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I did look at something like that (trix I think?) but the wire brushes look quite aggressive

The DCC concepts rollers are very good, I only bought the Hornby one because it looked neat and tidy (stupid reason I know) my current test track takes up quite a bit of desk space….I could always make a shorter one

Trix is the one I use. Brilliant. No complaints at all - and the brushes are brass wires I think. I wouldn't call them aggressive though, a loco still needs a good few minutes running on it to remove all the crud. I usually place the brushes on a dead end bit of track and trap a piece of sponge or foam between it and a suitable heavy bracing object like a book and just leave the loco trundling against this stop for a while. To get the worst dirt off I even apply some downwards pressure to the loco (hold it down by hand) so it abrades even more against the brushes.

I think you may be over-thinking things? I plonk the rollers anywhere I need to do some testing, on a few inches of loose scrap track on my workbench if I want to run a loco in for a half hour. I run in before the decoder is fitted and power this bit of track with an ancient Hornby controller and wires attached by crocodile clips. It doesn't need to be pretty to do the job. The only fixed "test track" I use is 18" or so of programming track.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

I think you may be over-thinking things? I plonk the rollers anywhere I need to do some testing, on a few inches of loose scrap track on my workbench if I want to run a loco in for a half hour. I run in before the decoder is fitted and power this bit of track with an ancient Hornby controller and wires attached by crocodile clips. It doesn't need to be pretty to do the job. The only fixed "test track" I use is 18" or so of programming track.

I usually over think things, I’ve only got the one controller which is DCC so ideally I need the ‘test and programming’ track on or near the layout/controller….I’m probably making no sense as usual

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Would it be possible to run the power cables from the controller into some sort of socket where you can piggy back cables to your test track as and when required? It might save a bit of messing about.

I just thought having a fixed program/test track near the fiddleyard would be simpler and would also be permanently available as and when required?

9454D78D-4E7B-4FD7-8C3A-9979A1954B19.jpeg.96b68939b8a7a87cded5a4e0af3c4efe.jpeg

currently running in the Christmas loco 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

I'm in the process of building a new deck for my test track. When finished it will replace the existing one which has 00 track on it. It is quite bulky as I made it out of a control panel from a previous layout but it is very versatile as you can use it in DC mode with a choice of two controllers, as I have a pentroller and not all motors like it, or at the flick of a switch in DCC mode with either prog or main at the flick of a second switch. In DC mode it also has a volt meter so you can see the starting voltage of a loco and adjust the appropriate CV accordingly. It is totally over the top and completely over-engineered but hey better over than under.

Regards Lez.    

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I'm in the process of building a new deck for my test track. When finished it will replace the existing one which has 00 track on it. It is quite bulky as I made it out of a control panel from a previous layout but it is very versatile as you can use it in DC mode with a choice of two controllers, as I have a pentroller and not all motors like it, or at the flick of a switch in DCC mode with either prog or main at the flick of a second switch. In DC mode it also has a volt meter so you can see the starting voltage of a loco and adjust the appropriate CV accordingly. It is totally over the top and completely over-engineered but hey better over than under.

Regards Lez.    

I made mine using an upturned ‘tray shelf’ but at 600mm long it’s a too big and bulky to use and also to store away

71E0704B-1893-4151-95F9-1C0AA0960061.jpeg.d0800577fc49dd7b53fdeba169b41382.jpeg

It’s nice and neat but has since become impractical 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The only thing missing is a drawbar to measure the haulage capacity Chris. I'm seriously thinking about building a proper test track a la the S4 soc. test track. If I do I would offer it for use by the EM soc. at the expos and the AGM. I have a bit of spare ply knocking about and I could also use it as a test bed for modelling methods I plan to use on Tewkesbury and the new home layout Dudbridge Junction and either Nailsworth or Stroud. I've always fancied Nailsworth but Stroud would fit my space much better and despite having a scissors in the goods yard it's quite compact using 2 tandems.  I've even gone as far as to prepare a track plan for the test track. 20211203_133032.jpg.4e7d595e76f307232e8c19994341b7f7.jpg

Regards lez. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 03/12/2021 at 08:42, chuffinghell said:

I made mine using an upturned ‘tray shelf’ but at 600mm long it’s a too big and bulky to use and also to store away

71E0704B-1893-4151-95F9-1C0AA0960061.jpeg.d0800577fc49dd7b53fdeba169b41382.jpeg

It’s nice and neat but has since become impractical 

I'm confused why you need a testing track and a programming track. One track can serve both jobs.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 04/12/2021 at 20:41, Martin S-C said:

I'm confused why you need a testing track and a programming track. One track can serve both jobs.

orignally I had the Hornby elink which had two outputs, one for testing and one for programming. It doesn’t allow you to run locos on the programming track. at the time it was the only way to run in my locos (because none of the layout was built)

It meant I could run in a loco or two while programming another or run in multiple locos at once

It made sense at the time but I’m obviously not the sharpest tool in the box

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Form an orderly cue lads

334A706D-D6FF-4DC7-9B0B-9B52FFB5B921.jpeg.afeba6a96fef8c3f6fe69943188588ab.jpeg

Since the Hornby elink failed I’m now using the Bachmann Dynamis Ultima but I’m having to re-read all the addresses because I didn’t write them down (didn’t think I’d need too)

I’ve also got to redo the track plan on the different software (easier said than done for a technophobe)

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

“Re-read the addresses”???

Are the addresses not cast in iron plates on the sides of the locos?

:smile_mini:

I never thought of using the loco number as the address :blush: that certainly would have been the sensible thing to do

As previously stated I’m not the sharpest tool in the box :wacko:

I use to just clicked on the photo of the loco I wanted on the software :blush:

Anyway all addresses read (and written down)

A motley crew of dirty green locos :-

68BB8B2D-BD02-453E-A931-E0DDB2CC247F.jpeg.cd17c7372b0f1b1e2cbee8de64bb529c.jpeg

Most run like ‘pigs’ though so the next job is a re-lube and run in

All three panniers waddle all over the place on the rollers especially the 8750 and 57xx…..’duck’ springs to mind

The Oxford Dean Goods ran like a pig from day one so I doubt there’s much I can do about that

The two Hornby locos run better than the rest though

Biggest surprise is that my Hattons/DJ Models 42xx runs okay (on the rollers at least)

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 5