5 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I purchased another two Alan Gibson 10.5mm wheels in the hope that these would be better.....

.... I was wrong. The hole in the wheel is off centre on all of them causing the eccentric cam like movement up and down

So I had an idea

What if I crossbreed Romford bogie wheels....

57AC2E16-DD79-4A9B-BBD7-00BC577A3369.jpeg.4c9ffff05a009e3983687bbb62fcd6ca.jpeg

....with Gibson Wheels...

74AB486A-0EB5-4DF7-96B3-7DB6587CDF29.jpeg.4ca4db98287f97677a6f055cc9f3428f.jpeg

....Congratulations it’s a Romgibfordson wheel set that runs concentric

49D80097-1EF5-4D15-AA7A-B5455FFD3FA0.jpeg.ea7c722275d37ad2fcd70aa9d23efcc2.jpeg

I've also looked at removing the brakes from one end, looks worse in the photo than it actually is, difficult to see on the photo but the rivet detail remains untouched 

232C5414-7B54-484C-8F6D-521E50BE147C.jpeg.175c3d2c8a8734938b6e4edf966fae7b.jpeg

You can’t make an omelette without breaking eggs

I did say you could make your own wheels Chris, and I WUZ RITE.:D Great job matey.:good:

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear of your problems Chris.

Like everyone else, I just sort of assume that wheels from a reputable manufacturer would be of decent quality, so it's a surprise that you've had so much trouble.

Al.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Sorry to hear of your problems Chris.

Like everyone else, I just sort of assume that wheels from a reputable manufacturer would be of decent quality, so it's a surprise that you've had so much trouble.

Al.

Thanks Al

The issue may be that I’ve not purchased them directly from Alan Gibson, perhaps they are old stock or have been stored incorrectly?

I’m also surprised though as their 12mm wheels are fine

My Romford/Gibson mash up has worked a treat and I only need one good pair* so I’m good to go

*unless I decided to have a couple of Loriot L’s

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I did say you could make your own wheels Chris, and I WUZ RITE.:D Great job matey.:good:

Thanks Andy

Had this not worked my next plan would have involved chiselling out a new set from a solid block of steel :lol:

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

My 3D printed load has arrived today, would have arrived much sooner but UPS were involved (say no more)

So I’ve got a couple of options now

CA0F6CC4-1B8F-42C1-8CAC-3435673B6781.jpeg.1b7387b9fa58409c1dc5225d6f07f2cb.jpeg

22CEC49D-CC8C-4038-B7DA-902E071021F5.jpeg.13d87a667d0e4c80001b49f58aad40df.jpeg

2289A943-55D8-41BE-B2F7-E3255BB51DEC.jpeg.a66f5591cebd979e89491bcad655adfc.jpeg

4AB7EF48-9D04-47CA-928D-A4019FE119E7.jpeg.9d8155649a2411c45a7ea4dfb17c3e04.jpeg

I quite like the horse dray but I keep coming back to the gear

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Why not the dray & the Scammell at once?

Now there’s a thought

6E47E817-B3B4-4987-B9EF-9F1A0C49703D.jpeg.7d9d9f75fa22cda6e93ba8cf49e558e5.jpeg

Should be okay assuming it’s within the 10ton load limit although the loading gauge might be compromised a little

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Ponthir28 said:

Gear for me or maybe the Scammell. But not box boring.

The box was a last resort and if I were to use it I would have had transfers made up saying something like

‘WARREN ENGINEERING’ to tie it in with the layout

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Now there’s a thought

6E47E817-B3B4-4987-B9EF-9F1A0C49703D.jpeg.7d9d9f75fa22cda6e93ba8cf49e558e5.jpeg

Should be okay assuming it’s within the 10ton load limit although the loading gauge might be compromised a little

You forgot the best one, your excellent gear. My vote is definitely for the gear, very impressive, especially if you drew it in Tinkercad. Simon

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, simonmcp said:

My vote is definitely for the gear, very impressive, especially if you drew it in Tinkercad. Simon

Thank you, everything I’ve drawn and had printed so far has been done in Tinkercad including the Loriot L that it’s going to be tied down too....hopefully 

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I agree, the gear is very nicely done and looks convincing even before painting.

(PS: If it makes any difference, I have a suspicion that that particular variant of the Scammel - with the short fixed rear - is not prototypical. It does not match any of the variants featured in my GWR vehicle books. Hasn't stopped from using it myself though!). 

• Informative/Useful 3

I think you're right. A mechanical horse with that chassis configuration is more typical of municipal vehicles. You often saw that type with the old chip fryer style dustcart body or a tanker body for gully emptying or washing down roads. Later on local councils used the four wheeled Karrier Bantam. 

It still looks good in GWR colours though! 

Who made that model?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I think you're right. A mechanical horse with that chassis configuration is more typical of municipal vehicles. You often saw that type with the old chip fryer style dustcart body or a tanker body for gully emptying or washing down roads. Later on local councils used the four wheeled Karrier Bantam. 

It still looks good in GWR colours though! 

Who made that model?

It’s boxed by Hornby but if you look underneath it’s made by Oxford

The difference is the one sold under Hornby has black wheel centres, the one sold under Oxford has red which means my trailers look odd

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I agree, the gear is very nicely done and looks convincing even before painting.

Thank you, I admit it’s not an original idea. I took inspiration from here https://images.app.goo.gl/VJZTPLgQXiJqe3rS8 but designed my own in OO gauge

14 hours ago, Mikkel said:

(PS: If it makes any difference, I have a suspicion that that particular variant of the Scammel - with the short fixed rear - is not prototypical. It does not match any of the variants featured in my GWR vehicle books. Hasn't stopped from using it myself though!). 

I have been known to bend the rules slightly when it comes to prototypes, although I might do a little cutting and carving to create a open sided flatbed.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Looking better with a coat of primer, although once cured I’ll have to attack the gear with a fibreglass pen to get rid of (or at least reduce) the striations left by the 3D printing process

99FBAC58-5DB9-4505-9A2D-149E7B2E5DF0.jpeg.3c9d6694706564eb062f30fda8ea9b4c.jpeg

I’ve used Humbrol primer, I normally use automotive plastic primer from Halfrauds on 3D prints as it tends to adhere better than Vallejo primer and being a bit thicker it helps reduce some of the printing lines

Unfortunately my local Halfrauds has been forced to shutdown following the pandemic. So I ended up ordering Humbrol from amazon (next day delivery with prime)

Its a real shame though because our local Halfords, although small and not a superstore was only a three minute walk away and anything they didn’t have they would get for you the next day

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

Put the wooden crate on.

Mark it-

To. Encombe Dairies,

Encombe,

Muddleshire.

Perhaps we'll find out what's in it.

I don’t think the work done at Warren is good enough for Encombe, Muddleshire yet....but does aspire to be one day

• Friendly/supportive 5

20 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I don’t think the work done at Warren is good enough for Encombe, Muddleshire yet....but does aspire to be one day

I think that all of us feel the same way about our own work. I am using Little Muddle as a yardstick for my own layout. That said, I am also using Dewchurch, Yelverton and another layout called Warren Branch or something...

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4