• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Julia said:

What radius are you using on that curve? do you have a straight section on the reverse curve? 

J

I’m using 2nd radius curves with a straight section between the reverse curve, not ideal I know but the best I could do within the space available.

I’ve tested all my locos and rolling stock and they all manage without a problem

I’ve designed it so the curves are not visible ‘on stage’ so to speak

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Not a lot going on at Warren, I’ve been very busy at work so by the time I get home my ‘get up and go’ has already ‘got up and gone’

Anyway I received this in the post today

C4202C0C-9141-45FE-9500-3F41244DCBB0.jpeg.362e1101b7edc9b2af3b146a765081be.jpeg

Should look okay on the layout

D13D54D6-C5AE-4B9D-8419-DA5C3F32D002.jpeg.08164e5b83b6906496c81aaee34f3684.jpeg

Although it’s a DCC layout I couldn’t see why I couldn’t control the lighting in an analogue style

To be honest I don’t know why I bothered with DCC anyway being a one engine in steam

• Like 13

1 minute ago, chuffinghell said:

Not a lot going on at Warren, I’ve been very busy at work so by the time I get home my ‘get up and go’ has already ‘got up and gone’

Anyway I received this in the post today

C4202C0C-9141-45FE-9500-3F41244DCBB0.jpeg.362e1101b7edc9b2af3b146a765081be.jpeg

Should look okay on the layout

D13D54D6-C5AE-4B9D-8419-DA5C3F32D002.jpeg.08164e5b83b6906496c81aaee34f3684.jpeg

Although it’s a DCC layout I couldn’t see why I couldn’t control the lighting in an analogue style

To be honest I don’t know why I bothered with DCC anyway being a one engine in steam

Because you want to drive the train, not the track ? For all the other arguments for or against DCC, this to me is what it boils down to.

My layout is fully DCC, and cos I'm an electronics geek, I've spent months I should have spent modelling on designing circuit boards so I can control all my LED lighting on each board section. That way I only need to have DCC between the modules. It's overkill... but it's about the only time I get to put my degree to use... 

J

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Julia said:

Because you want to drive the train, not the track ? For all the other arguments for or against DCC, this to me is what it boils down to.

My layout is fully DCC, and cos I'm an electronics geek, I've spent months I should have spent modelling on designing circuit boards so I can control all my LED lighting on each board section. That way I only need to have DCC between the modules. It's overkill... but it's about the only time I get to put my degree to use... 

J

Locos, points and signals etc are DCC controlled via touchscreen but as a mechanical engineer I don’t fully  understand electronics or electrickery so I’ve made it nice and simple for myself

However I envy anyone who understands it and does clever stuff with it

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

How distracting is it for you to have the light on?

That’s a very good point! I’d not really considered that. In that case I’ve decided to go for the non-illuminated switches.....

.....otherwise it might end up looking like a dishwasher :lol:

I’m not impressed with the ones I have (cheap sh*t off eBay) so I’ve ordered some better quality ones from elsewhere

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

I'd use the lit switch on the non-lighting circuit - your smoke generator.  Then you'll know if you left it on but it's not generating for some reason.  :)

That was my original intention, hence only having one LED switch but my OCD kicked in and I don’t think I’d cope with an odd switch :lol:

Also I’ll know if it’s been left on when there is a puddle of plastic next to the pump house

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

I'd use the lit switch on the non-lighting circuit - your smoke generator.  Then you'll know if you left it on but it's not generating for some reason.  :)

If I’d thought about it properly I could have had the smoke generator switch separate from the lighting panel and had it as a momentary switch so it couldn’t be accidentally left on

I don’t think I’ll use it that often as it was just a bit of a gimmick really

Unless I manage to overcome my OCD and do as you have suggested

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 1

You think you have problems with OCD? I still use metal toggle switches, not only is the action positive, but they're solid and reliable, as well as it being obvious whether they are off or on. My distrust of plastic rocker switches or worse still "click" switches is born out of messing with cars. When the plastic switch in your Ford or whatever broke, it's cheap and nasty nature was evident by the fact that the same switch had already been stripped out of every car in every junkyard. 

If toggle switches are still good enough for weapons systems, then they're good enough for my train sets. Besides, the ones I have were free, came out of the bin, so I figured that the MOD wouldn't miss them. Still had to sign them out though!

Got to agree with you about the lights being a distraction. A little light tells me that something is broken as a rule!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You think you have problems with OCD? I still use metal toggle switches, not only is the action positive, but they're solid and reliable, as well as it being obvious whether they are off or on. My distrust of plastic rocker switches or worse still "click" switches is born out of messing with cars. When the plastic switch in your Ford or whatever broke, it's cheap and nasty nature was evident by the fact that the same switch had already been stripped out of every car in every junkyard. 

If toggle switches are still good enough for weapons systems, then they're good enough for my train sets. Besides, the ones I have were free, came out of the bin, so I figured that the MOD wouldn't miss them. Still had to sign them out though!

Got to agree with you about the lights being a distraction. A little light tells me that something is broken as a rule!

In that case I’ll have to use something like this on my next layout....

AAD2DD25-1C62-4EB4-9E41-823CAD77767D.jpeg.e3467636631d6e547ed85a51592fbcc0.jpeg

....if Warren ever gets finished

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5

4 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

In that case I’ll have to use something like this on my next layout....

AAD2DD25-1C62-4EB4-9E41-823CAD77767D.jpeg.e3467636631d6e547ed85a51592fbcc0.jpeg

....if Warren ever gets finished

On my desk there is a small black metal box. Installed on the box is a button. The label next to the button says "Do not press this button". 

Temptation thy name is a big red button. 

J

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Ah, a proper railway-style Traffolite panel!

:)

I do like traffolyte labels, I think they look neat & tidy. I’ve even used them on my testing/programming track

5CDFE26B-D5A7-479B-9FC3-8E100B0C1317.jpeg.f720072a45a6b9bdb6621078265e73ea.jpeg

I’m hoping I can eventually remove them from this and put a program/test track on the free space next to the fiddleyard

It appears to work quite well, it also means Sarah, other family members and friends can switch the lights on/off.....I’ll leave control of the locos to myself though :lol:

EEEFD8DA-DA3A-4214-9ACE-278AE48F5ACB.jpeg.7af49306669fb50f2429d1d0234eac63.jpeg

I need to wait till this evening to adjust the voltages as I want a dim light to achieve a gas light type effect

935AB885-8EB2-4739-8FC8-CFCF009AD704.jpeg.4fd7ada3282063ff53857ad63c888e50.jpeg

I want the lights to softly glow instead of being lit up like a Christmas tree

Apologies to any electricians out there for my haphazard wiring.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Chris

Loving it that your back onto the layout again. No one seems to have mentioned it yet but congrats on getting a pic of Warren Branch featured into the October edition of BRM, nice job.

All the best

Mark

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Chris I always enjoy seeing pictures of your layout and did not realise you have been published, congratulations. Nice that you will let Sarah and family push your buttons :jester:

Please can you tell me about how your removable section works regarding rail breaks across an angle. I have had to redesign my layout boards from permanent to potentially semi-moveable meaning I would have a large amount of track over board breaks including a lot of mainline curves. Any thoughts from your experiences please? I have serious concerns about it with mainline trains derailing at speed etc, hence further delays in progressing my layout.

Thank you for any pointers/help. Happy for a PM if too much to put in your thread.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Chris I always enjoy seeing pictures of your layout and did not realise you have been published, congratulations. Nice that you will let Sarah and family push your buttons :jester:

Please can you tell me about how your removable section works regarding rail breaks across an angle. I have had to redesign my layout boards from permanent to potentially semi-moveable meaning I would have a large amount of track over board breaks including a lot of mainline curves. Any thoughts from your experiences please? I have serious concerns about it with mainline trains derailing at speed etc, hence further delays in progressing my layout.

Thank you for any pointers/help. Happy for a PM if too much to put in your thread.

Thank you

As far as the break across the angle I just glued the track in place and once dried I cut across the join with a fine tooth saw.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135507-warren-branch/&do=findComment&comment=3552501

Its probably not the right way to do it though!

My removable section will only be removed very occasionally and my locos will only be running at shunting speed.

I’ve got dropper wires on every single individual piece of track though so I’m not relying on fishplates and used these to electrically connect the boards

C8F4405A-095E-4CBA-9D14-5D7E5C02E60B.jpeg.92849df79e463de70dc7b4fc304e8164.jpeg

...also used patten makers dowels for alignment

59A1E25E-C594-4C2B-A015-1ECE020EE2AD.jpeg.daa8037a48d89f6e3ce4f2528aa70a25.jpeg

and thumb screws....

6BEC2D37-6E22-42EB-B6C6-39E893B270A0.jpeg.b9b4e93f15d763e8db65d72524d689bd.jpeg

and tee nuts

7B51A623-288A-469C-B68D-07AD704DDD2C.jpeg.66c421690aa23924143ab72e7d5eb22f.jpeg

to fasten the boards together.

I think the correct way (old school way) to do it is to solder the rails to copper nails/screws

5304A929-2946-4D53-BCEB-50C13B706C35.jpeg.7055d8c3a7d1c7e02647684ab04d5662.jpeg

...or the more modern approach to solder the rails to copper plates

9D2A07DB-12B5-448E-A7BE-60983AE7CE8A.jpeg.84a620b54d476ad027fcae90c9aaf4ab.jpeg

....but I don’t like the look of those plus at the time my soldering looked like arc welding

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve recently purchased a Peco single tunnel mouth, now I know they are vacuum formed but I’m not entirely happy with the quality. Luckily it was cheap off ebay

it was in very old packaging so I wondered if the later ones are better quality?

I quite like the Wills kit but I wasn’t sure if it was look out of place being brick whilst everything else on the layout so far is stone

22D98504-FFBC-4F21-9230-8AF2ADA39741.jpeg.d87971633ee1c45f6d8dab5eb85cff36.jpeg

The Gaugemaster tunnel looks interesting too

E10392FD-C1C5-4A2D-8B49-39B02F5DE16B.jpeg.8e12018d864aed68b141b68ffe6e5d3c.jpeg

I’d appreciate anyone’s thoughts, opinions or suggestions