• RMweb Gold

I don’t know if I’ve done it right but I didn’t want to plaster with the bridge in place and risk making a mess of it

So having worked out where the bridge was going I roughly cut a bit of plasticard to face the edge giving me something to fill up to

This is the first skim of filler just in case you wondered why it looked poo :lol:

C4067A4A-6248-44B4-87C2-6AC8F2B6849A.jpeg.3638a7a19cbe057ee629289bc26f37f6.jpeg

Once I’ve finished weathering the bridge and glued it in place I’ll fill in the gap

B26FFB48-21FE-4413-9B3E-30DA27D9AD1C.jpeg.f9648fe21a9cb53f19ad70484530f56f.jpeg

I know I shouldn’t be so concerned about it looking nice because it’s going to get covered in static grass and flocking but I’ve never been a believer in ‘out of sight, out of mind’ :rolleyes:

• Like 18

That reminds me of being about ten years old and my great uncle telling me: "Always paint both sides of a bit of iron, the side you can't see will rust faster than the one you can." Practical advice, but also philosophy for doing a thorough job and the best you can at everything.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I don’t know if I’ve done it right but I didn’t want to plaster with the bridge in place and risk making a mess of it

So having worked out where the bridge was going I roughly cut a bit of plasticard to face the edge giving me something to fill up to

This is the first skim of filler just in case you wondered why it looked poo :lol:

C4067A4A-6248-44B4-87C2-6AC8F2B6849A.jpeg.3638a7a19cbe057ee629289bc26f37f6.jpeg

Once I’ve finished weathering the bridge and glued it in place I’ll fill in the gap

B26FFB48-21FE-4413-9B3E-30DA27D9AD1C.jpeg.f9648fe21a9cb53f19ad70484530f56f.jpeg

I know I shouldn’t be so concerned about it looking nice because it’s going to get covered in static grass and flocking but I’ve never been a believer in ‘out of sight, out of mind’ :rolleyes:

Hi...

I'd be truly happy with this result if it were mine....well done!

Regards always, Bob

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Doesn’t look like I’ve done anything but I have given it a final skim of filler, it still has its undulations but smoother than it was.

1632EF4E-063A-4826-B8EC-968FB57EC3A1.jpeg.c792812e42fc73473f81495d6cbb9ae9.jpeg

I wasn’t too happy with the sharp change in direction here.....

A1854866-7E3E-4DEB-8A72-7A4C312C46BB.jpeg.740d7a7e87efc7725dd10557c44ad45c.jpeg

....it just didn’t look right so I hacked at it a little and tried to blend it in to make it look better....

978F9ED5-FC17-4692-80C0-A81378EAE92B.jpeg.71a1681900894eb749069a62f6dcc473.jpeg

....I think it does?

There’s no advantage in smoothing it anymore so once the bridge is weathered I can glue it in place and add the grass etc

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Chris, it does look better. As per usual, up to your high standard of finishing.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade,

I'm trying my best. I'm not sure if I'm doing it the correct way or not though.....time will tell

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris. There is no right or wrong way to do things mate, only a right way for you! If it looks right when it's done that's all that matters.

Regards Lez.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

This evening in preparation for adding the static grass I decided to paint the embankment/cutting. It looks poo at the moment mainly due to painting it in diarrhoea brown :lol:

BAD99179-E50B-4177-A6B3-17BF0C8A9342.jpeg.cbbf0d41dba482cccbd61bbb940dee22.jpeg

I was never very good at painting within the lines :lol:

I’ve promised myself that it will be grassed before the weekend and I don’t like breaking promises

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Chris.

Don't rush it due to feeling pressured to show us something. It's a very easy trap to fall into, as I well know, but then you get to the point where it stops being enjoyable, and becomes an obligation. Do things at a pace you feel comfortable with, and sod the rest of us...

Al.

• Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Looking good Chris.

Don't rush it due to feeling pressured to show us something. It's a very easy trap to fall into, as I well know, but then you get to the point where it stops being enjoyable, and becomes an obligation. Do things at a pace you feel comfortable with, and sod the rest of us...

Al.

Thanks Al,

In many ways I’m also putting pressure on myself because I’d like see less of a bare baseboard

But you are, as always, quite right. I’d be very upset if I messed it up through rushing it

Additional - My usual pace is a snails pace :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Everything's looking great Chris. The bridge looks superb and the embankment is coming along a treat, I'd agree with Al, no need to rush anything. :)

Edited by sb67
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The reason I’m doing the embankment now is because once done I can look at the woodwork at the front of the layout to support the canal because once in place it would be difficult to reach over to do the embankment afterwards.....method in the madness!

• Like 5