14 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Would a gate like this be a bit OTT for the entrance to the goods yard? (I suspect I already know the answer)

2C329321-C46E-4EB6-B0B3-7449924227C2.jpeg.4a6e5961a55345a5eb48db552800c12c.jpeg

I know it’s a level crossing gate but I just like the style

Surely the general structure would be similar? Big post to carry the support cable as long as the entrance to the yard is wide?

Lose the lamp, target and netting and replace the ‘X’ bracing with two horizontal bars?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to all who have offered their help, hints and tips regarding the road surface, I think I have enough options to experiment with

Once again, many thanks :good:

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Surely the general structure would be similar? Big post to carry the support cable as long as the entrance to the yard is wide?

Lose the lamp, target and netting and replace the ‘X’ bracing with two horizontal bars?

It was the netting and 'X' bracing as well as the 'chunky' posts that I liked to be honest, however, I don't actually have this 'in hand' so it will be much easier as @Alister_G has suggested to make one from scratch*

*This 'scratch' stuff sounds like a wonderful material, you can make anything out of it! :scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

*This 'scratch' stuff sounds like a wonderful material, you can make anything out of it! 

But only if you get the itch?

I think I said, but I used Evergreen 20thou x 80thou strip (Evergreen #124) and the technique is explained here:

Al.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

But only if you get the itch?

I think I said, but I used Evergreen 20thou x 80thou strip (Evergreen #124) and the technique is explained here:

Al.

Thanks Al

Fantastic stuff :good:

Chris

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

If you're using that bendy wall stuff, why not fix it temporarily in place to see which one you like best?

I'd have to see if I could secure it in place with blutac as although incredibly flexible it always springs back to being straight if not held in place

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I'd have to see if I could secure it in place with blutac as although incredibly flexible it always springs back to being straight if not held in place

The good lady's dressmaking pins?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure they would even have bothered to curve the walls to make a grand entrance, the gate might just be set in the straight wall. Having said that, of the two above, I prefer "A", but couldn't in all honesty say why.

As Jonathan says, have a play with different options.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I'm not sure they would even have bothered to curve the walls to make a grand entrance, the gate might just be set in the straight wall. Having said that, of the two above, I prefer "A", but couldn't in all honesty say why.

As Jonathan says, have a play with different options.

Al.

More like this?

gate3.png.2fd431d7d35e1d49a8bc35278be2c5a6.png

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Yep.

My thinking is that most traffic in your period is still horse and cart or small vans and lorries, so the wider entrances and curved walls we now think of as normal are more associated with modern, larger motor transport and particularly articulated lorries.

However, the GWR tended to do things with a bit of style, so just shoving a gate in the wall may not be what they would have done. Are there any prototype photos you can compare with?

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Things to consider. If there is a level crossing nearby, if that has been upgraded recently, it's not beyond plausibility that the old gate has been moved to the yard to replace a worn out gate. These things often happened. 

Re the entrance, consider is there enough room to get the largest vehicle you can think of in and out? is there space within the yard to turn round with any trailers? Consider modelling scratch marks/damage to the post on one side where a driver has hit it. 

I agree on the curved entrance thing, it's likely to be more utilitarian than that. 

J

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

So a pair of large black wrought iron gates with GWR in large gold lettering attached to stone pillars each with a statue of a lion on each pillar might be a bit too much? 

It might be considered a trifle extravagant... 

But it's your layout...

J

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

15 hours ago, Alister_G said:

See above, just rub into wet paint for a smooth road surface.

For the farm track on the embankment module of Ladmanlow, I made a paste of PVA, water and filler for the surface, then sprinkled it on after, but I specifically wanted a rougher track surface in that instance:

ladmanlow1106.jpg.823ac96169b3aa61b9ee65e136aed92f.jpg

ladmanlow1133.jpg.6540f1e034be54eae9573883a3cb17a4.jpg

Al.

Apologies for the thread hijack and the potentially stupid question @Alister_G but how exactly did you 'rub' it into wet paint without it clumping up or taking the paint off areas you'd applied it? 

• RMweb Gold

Following a purchase of woodland scenic tree armatures from @Rowsley17D, thanks Jonathan.

I’ve had a bit of a play this evening to see if I can do anything with them

Stuck on some bits of seafoam

688CE6FE-8313-4B67-930C-7474F75BC5B6.jpeg.8dfa36b48c1ea2ac071147f14d72ce28.jpeg

and give it a blast of brown paint 

03F7BC68-EB1D-4D5F-A784-2C9D5FA889C6.jpeg.5be5fc012d2649de7dffb0aedb4aff16.jpeg

once dry I’ll stick on some foliage

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, LBSC123 said:

Apologies for the thread hijack and the potentially stupid question @Alister_G but how exactly did you 'rub' it into wet paint without it clumping up or taking the paint off areas you'd applied it? 

no apologies necessary, I’d be interested to know too

Chris

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, LBSC123 said:

4 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

no apologies necessary, I’d be interested to know too

Chris

It's a bit difficult to describe, but basically I sprinkle the dust over the paint after it's been left to dry a bit, but is still tacky, then I pat the dust down with the fingertips until it starts to form a flat layer, then brush / rub gently to work it in until it's just a thin smooth surface. Far easier to do than to write about.

Al.

• Informative/Useful 6