• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

and give it a blast of brown paint 

You might want to add some grey or olive green over the brown mate, other than in children's paintings tree trunks are not brown.

Looks great though, the shape and structure are really good.

Al.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

You might want to add some grey or olive green over the brown mate, other than in children's paintings tree trunks are not brown.

Al.

image.png.86c908905b05b29b4fb8acb2b6f88ace.png

Painting By Charles Evans. 

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Al.

Thanks Al, will do, it’s my first attempt so I’m bound to get the few wrong

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

Never been a better time than to go and look at a real tree.

You’re quite right and I have been looking but I really should keep my eyes on the road when I’m driving :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Funny 2

Just going to add my opinion on the goods yard entrance; I think a combination of ‘A’ and ‘the gate in a flat wall’; as in I think the wall should curve slightly into the goods yard, but not by a full 90 degrees, just enough to set the gate back from the road and allow easier turning for vehicles (horse-drawn or otherwise) into or out of the yard

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

Al.

How’s this for a first go? Light air brushing of grey and a bit of green weathering powder (haven’t got any olive green paint)

CC6CE4DC-182A-456F-9999-9D7EF2B9F1F6.jpeg.55bc1492394d4e9d510a5db1163be862.jpeg

Not sure if my photography is good enough to see?

It’s a bit shiny because the matt varnish is still wet in places

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Looking good so far, take a look at the trees in this picture I took recently and compare their colours to those of the bridge.

IMG_20201025_140152.jpg

That bridge is remarkably similar to the Wills canal/river bridge I’ve purchased

• Like 2

I had a think about the yard entrance, I don't want to make you extra work, but a gateway flush with a wall like that is fine for livestock etc as in a field gate, but if you are wanting to turn loaded horse drawn carts ninety degrees from the road into the yard, you need more room, even a two wheeled cart pulled by a single horse is a good 15 feet long. A four wheel dray pulled by two horses is a good twenty. They also behave like an artic when turning, which is why you get a gate set back from the road flanked by wing walls or fences.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I had a think about the yard entrance, I don't want to make you extra work, but a gateway flush with a wall like that is fine for livestock etc as in a field gate, but if you are wanting to turn loaded horse drawn carts ninety degrees from the road into the yard, you need more room, even a two wheeled cart pulled by a single horse is a good 15 feet long. A four wheel dray pulled by two horses is a good twenty. They also behave like an artic when turning, which is why you get a gate set back from the road flanked by wing walls or fences.

A bit confused now to be honest, are you suggesting a wider opening with curved walls and a double gate?

Edited by chuffinghell

Sorry, got distracted by the outside world before I had made a point and posted. 

Drawing A with the curved walls and recessed gate is probably more typical.

Alternatively, can have a wider gateway that is level with the edge of the road and two five bar gates as with the goods yard at Lydham Heath on the Bishops Castle Railway. Oddly enough now that the yard is used for storing lorry trailers, it has reverted to a single gate set well back from the road and the fence is angled inward to meet it. The road past the gateway is much widened nowadays though.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

My only issue with trees is placing them randomly, I don't want to end up with rows of trees all the same height and colour so I'm going to have to really control my OCD when I get to that stage

Luckily its going to take quite a while making the trees before I have to worry too much about that :huh: 

I may have to set up a production line for the tree making :lol:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1