• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

That's looking really good, nice one.

Al.

Thanks Al, I’ve surprised myself to be honest as it looks better than I thought it would.....and really easy to do

59 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

I like that.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade, I’m pleased with how it’s turned out.

Just need to make some more and fill out the remaining area

• Like 2

The whole scene is literally growing. I think that if you could make that working signal as convincing as you did, you can be confident in tackling any part of the scenery, probably in six inch squares like this one. I don't like the use of the word 'cameo' in relation to model railways, because to me it conjures up visions of working fairgrounds, burning warehouses and the X rated stuff. But in reality, a snapshot of reality itself, there's not much going on, but the scene is busy on the eye. The change in fence type to suit the location. The bracing to support it. The foliage growing through a lightly weathered but maintained by law fence. There's a heck of a lot going on in that little scene. It's all about carefully observing and recreating what you see that convinces the viewer that it's somehow real.

In other words.  Top job.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

It looks very nice Chris. I would just add a bit of long grass growing through the fence and then leave it at that mate.

Regards Lez.

Thanks Lez

Unfortunately I’m struggling to get in close enough with my static grass applicator, another option would be to make grass tufts and glue them in place maybe

• Friendly/supportive 1

I have to remind myself almost daily that any progress, however small, is progress. 

Curved wall looks very good, that is how many real life gateways are. A curved wall like that is easier for vehicles to negotiate and it's stronger. It is more able to deflect anything that hits it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That Road is now crying out for a blast on a decent Bike, leaning into the corner, WOW, superb Chris.

Don't worry about the bald patch, once you have lots of different bushes on the embankment it wont show anyway.

1722138686_IMG_3266-Copy.JPG.abc1036eb4c1932c25ae44b0be771609.JPG

UIMG_3168.JPG.616b0eccdb9684119ca5ce105854d5a1.JPG

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Not done a lot today other than glue the stone walling to the other side of the road and attach the gate

I had to clear away some of the ‘over grown’ grass from the road edge, hence the bald patches which I’ll sort out another day

FA8E49C3-3C16-457E-AF82-71B44864B191.jpeg.6b4b04cae2f9d9cd43586f80287fe339.jpeg

What is the angle of the bank between the bridge abutment and the gate? It looks very steep. 

The bit on the left of the bridge but on this side of the fence. How is the grass cut? 

J

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Julia said:

The bit on the left of the bridge but on this side of the fence. How is the grass cut? 

J

By a madman with a scythe. :jester:

It wasn't that long ago that people just got on with the job, no risk assessment or method statement for changing a lightbulb. No fluorescent plastic overalls to give you heatstroke in summer or freeze to death in in winter. Now we have a very real problem at work where there's so many "safety colours" alarms and flashing lights that people are mentally tuning them out.

Even as little as 30 years ago, people relied on knowing what they were doing, using a little common sense and applying something now known as personal safety awareness, an admission of sorts that you can't legislate for everything.

You've reminded me of how glad I am to have got out of engineering, sometimes I miss it, but I forget that by the time I was born, Britain had lost the ability to make anything truly impressive.

That has cheered me up a whole lot, cheers, I needed it! :good:

PS, the steepness of the right-hand embankment is an optical illusion caused by the position of the camera. The bank is under 45 deg, but because it is viewed from square on to the end of the bridge wing wall that is at 45deg in the opposite plane, the bank looks almost vertical. It's something that I have often had to fudge when composing a painting. If the photo was taken again from a slightly different position, the angle of the bank would become immediately obvious.

Edited by MrWolf
PostScript!
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Not done a lot today other than glue the stone walling to the other side of the road and attach the gate

I had to clear away some of the ‘over grown’ grass from the road edge, hence the bald patches which I’ll sort out another day

FA8E49C3-3C16-457E-AF82-71B44864B191.jpeg.6b4b04cae2f9d9cd43586f80287fe339.jpeg

69055FEC-4029-4487-B38C-E12317B4E8CB.jpeg.35e93074bf4d3e4eb04d68663dab39c6.jpeg

Used a left over post from the ratio post and wire fence kit

86BD0EB8-3354-42DD-B7A0-CC18E7503564.jpeg.631ba69688f43d93616cb83cf630db1d.jpeg

Not sure it it’s in the right position visually

73C942BE-0AD0-48E6-B866-A573C2887D0E.jpeg.15aaa06d7114901c17642d3a683745a5.jpeg

Personally I think the curved wall to the entrance looks quite good

I'm going to be very annoying now, because having seen it I'd suggesting swinging the gate in the other direction so that it opens through almost 180 degrees.

Sorry.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Just my $0.02, but I think that he has it right. The gate is currently opening into dead space in the yard (if I have understood Chris's sketches right) 

If hung on the opposite post, the gate would swing into useable space in the yard. Even in a space as big as a goods yard, the Victorian approach would have been one of practicality, even if they did go a little nuts in the styling of a lot of the buildings, they did things so that in theory, they could stand for all time without the need for change.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

yesterday evening I addressed the squared off edge of the embankment to the right of the tunnel by adding over an inch of filler to reshape it.....looks quite drastic doesn’t it :wacko:

CB9FD2DF-C4B7-4F99-A895-EFC3B164C391.jpeg.144258f34921031b4779c67c36edb3a5.jpeg

I trimmed back the previously done grass with scissors and then re-grassed it

1E101568-1D19-486D-A2FF-5AD5415FDFED.jpeg.3552cc1915314096ed19206f74a6ee60.jpeg

Sorry Bertie but static grass goes everywhere :rolleyes:

483A980B-45E5-42AA-8610-64E1CAA8B5C6.jpeg.f2faebc4945bf845b752887cc721c78a.jpeg

As far as the bank incline...there’s nothing I can do without compromising the goods yard area even more than I already have done with the addition of the road.

D310879C-9FCC-417D-960F-A7257DAC912E.jpeg.2b4671946d3c2b0e038d4447d4d0dae3.jpeg

It is what it is

I'll probably be adding flock here and there to replicate weeds and over growth as I did on the left of the bridge

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 19

Oddly enough, when creating rising land within a narrow space, such as a railway baseboard, some compression of the view and hence making embankments or backscene hills steeper than they would be in reality actually adds depth to the scene. Whack in some trees and nobody will be able to tell the difference.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Not wishing to bring you down, but the bank is easily taken care of this side. Replicate the wire fence down the wing wall as on the left side, then along the bottom of the bank and run it up to the wall. Fill the resulting fenced / walled off area with trees, taller ones to the top of the bank, repeat trees the other side of the road. The whole lot will look bigger.

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Not wishing to bring you down, but the bank is easily taken care of this side. Replicate the wire fence down the wing wall as on the left side, then along the bottom of the bank and run it up to the wall. Fill the resulting fenced / walled off area with trees, taller ones to the top of the bank, repeat trees the other side of the road. The whole lot will look bigger.

I understand where you’re coming from but I think from a practical point of view there would have been no reason to fence off this area....unless there was a problem with members of the public climbing over the wall to break into the goods yard maybe?

I’ll give it some thought, although personally I don’t think the inclination of the bank is much of an issue.....at least not enough to both me

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It isn't.

I just wanted to point out that from an artist's point of view some selective compression is essential to create a feeling of depth and distance via a two dimensional medium.

Railway modellers have the opportunity to cheat with a foot in both camps as it were. 

Trees will help, if you get sick of making them, blame @KNP but remember, he disappeared an entire double track main line within something like six inches of trees!

You're probably right about the fence, though I would run a bit up the wing wall, stop straying  livestock / wildlife / idiots falling onto the track.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

It isn't.

I just wanted to point out that from an artist's point of view some selective compression is essential to create a feeling of depth and distance via a two dimensional medium.

Railway modellers have the opportunity to cheat with a foot in both camps as it were. 

Trees will help, if you get sick of making them, blame @KNP but remember, he disappeared an entire double track main line within something like six inches of trees!

I don’t blame @KNP you’re the one with a post n wire fetish :jester:

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1