• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Good to see you have researched canals and left the towpath wide enough for a horse to walk freely under the bridge. The little hump backed bridges have a ramp each side to take the horse over.

Thanks Rob

I didn’t do any research I just used what little common sense I have left :lol:

I wanted to give myself the option of having a horse drawn narrow boat or at least give the illusion that it was once used for that purpose before the railway came and before boats moved under their own steam

7B8632BF-9B34-45E0-BE00-4FECBBDCD3D9.jpeg.c38631324a9529c6585a0db5bfc4d458.jpeg

Unfortunately the only CAD file I could find was of a horse’s ar$e :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 9
  • Funny 1

19 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Thanks Rob

I didn’t do any research I just used what little common sense I have left :lol:

I wanted to give myself the option of having a horse drawn narrow boat or at least give the illusion that it was once used for that purpose before the railway came and before boats moved under their own steam

7B8632BF-9B34-45E0-BE00-4FECBBDCD3D9.jpeg.c38631324a9529c6585a0db5bfc4d458.jpeg

Unfortunately the only CAD file I could find was of a horse’s ar$e :lol:

Ah, if you want to see someone create a horse's ar$e in full colour 3d, check out my thread!

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

I like the steps @Alister_G but I reckon that they would only be two or three feet wide on Warren Branch. It's a bit rural, we need muddy, uneven, sleeper edged stuff. Anything that looks remotely safe is no fun at all! 

Hi Rob, yes, I agree completely, it's unlikely to be well maintained or often used so it wants to be overgrown and decrepit.

Not sure Chris can do untidy... :D

Al.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Hi Rob, yes, I agree completely, it's unlikely to be well maintained or often used so it wants to be overgrown and decrepit.

Al.

That would be the main challenge :lol:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Thanks Al

I agree, I could perhaps put a stile in the gap of the wall?

2AF42711-E375-4FED-9E88-15BBFCC5E661.jpeg.ae5b4bf620352a5e15d835a436c007eb.jpeg

Perhaps with sleeper edged steps?

D182D4C8-5DE9-4F2D-B2FA-C437E7E7DFC1.jpeg.7bc16c6a77dd2999eb0677f0464d2ca1.jpeg

Hmmmm you’ve got me thinking now :D

The "Definitive Map", AKA the footpath, bridleway and byways map didn't come out until the 50s so little or no signposts or fancy Stiles much before then.  More likely a gap in the hedge and a slippery looking muddy slope:rolleyes:. The slope would probably be on a diagonal to lessen the steepness though.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simonmcp said:

The "Definitive Map", AKA the footpath, bridleway and byways map didn't come out until the 50s so little or no signposts or fancy Stiles much before then.  More likely a gap in the hedge and a slippery looking muddy slope:rolleyes:. The slope would probably be on a diagonal to lessen the steepness though.

I’ll probably give it a miss then as I’m likely to make a pigs ear out of it

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Al.

Sarah says she begs to differ on that statement as the layout room currently looks like a bombs hit it :blush:

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

6 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Sarah says she begs to differ on that statement as the layout room currently looks like a bombs hit it :blush:

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs

I have also been getting such subtle remarks about my layout space as "Is that a model of Coventry in 1940?"

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Chris as barges were often towed by horses the pathway would have probably been a gentle slope rather than steps.

In this particular case I've made sure the towpath would be wide enough for a horse to pass under the bridge

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

In this particular case I've made sure the towpath would be wide enough for a horse to pass under the bridge

Not certain if you have already said this but was the road there before the canal of after? There are number of examples where access to the canal was already in place prior to a bridge being built. It all depends on what was happening in the area prior to the railway. To have both a canal and railway implies that something was being manufactured that required transportation. Building a canal was an expensive exercise so wouldn't have been done lightly.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Not certain if you have already said this but was the road there before the canal of after?

I’ve not really given it much thought to be honest. I would imagine the canal was first, followed by the railway followed by the road

but I’ll accept any version to make what I’ve done plausible, luckily it’s purely fictional so I can cheat :lol:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I attempted to build the bridge this afternoon, although the road height is spot on the timber under the road is in the way of the arch

D25A7E8C-C7AB-4DBC-AD5C-FCCF3F120875.jpeg.6e98b6d436c272b8c196caba8e246a6a.jpeg

Instead of chiselling away the timber I’ve started to cut up the bridge adding 8mm to the top, by then removing the 8mm from the bottom in effect lowers the arch but maintains the road height

29F5D111-DCC4-40A4-9BF5-ED06A7BC7E82.jpeg.2485c779c3f2b2d149a07b4c4b035e9a.jpeg

Strip cut off the left hand piece and glued on the the right

Might have been easier to hack at the timber under the road but more chance of doing some damage 

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, GWR57xx said:

Will the lowered bridge still give clearance for the horse?

I would have thought that if you kept the higher bridge and painted the baseboard wood Matt black it wouldn’t be noticeable.

Looking great.

It was more a case of it interfered with the bridge lining than a visual thing

I’ll just get a smaller horse or teach it to swim :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve not really given it much thought to be honest. I would imagine the canal was first, followed by the railway followed by the road

but I’ll accept any version to make what I’ve done plausible, luckily it’s purely fictional so I can cheat :lol:

My apologies Chris I didn't want to criticize your efforts in anyway. Realised though once I re-read my comments that they might sound dictatorial and that certainly wasn't my intention. As you say it is fictional.:D

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

My apologies Chris I didn't want to criticize your efforts in anyway. Realised though once I re-read my comments that they might sound dictatorial and that certainly wasn't my intention. As you say it is fictional.:D

no apology necessary, I don’t mind people making observations, asking questions and sharing their knowledge :good:

I'm the first to admit I’m making it up as I go

Had the ‘fictional’ statement not worked I have used the ‘rule 1’ as a backup :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, chuffinghell said:

no apology necessary, I don’t mind people making observations, asking questions and sharing their knowledge :good:

I'm the first to admit I’m making it up as I go

Had the ‘fictional’ statement not worked I have used the ‘rule 1’ as a backup :lol:

Having now read on and seen the new requirement for swimming ponies I'm not going to comment other than to say somebody always has to be first.:P

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 19/11/2020 at 19:46, Alister_G said:

Are you going to have a set of steps from the towpath up to road level on that embankment? It just seems to be the sort of thing there might be?

Al.

Canal companies didn't usually provide access to towpaths from roads.  The canal would be private property, so the public would have no need for access.  Would such an access be provided for a railway (outside of a station platform) in days gone by ?  That wouldn't stop the locals making a hole in the fence/hedge though.  These days, the situation is different.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1