I'm just starting on the landscape around the river on my layout. I'm certain that I will at the very least learn from you how to create water effects. I need a whole lot of well eroded limestone pebbles, I am guessing 3mm to dust. I have a good idea where to get some, so it's a good excuse to go out on a quick motorcycle trip tomorrow lunchtime! :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having done some searching it appears that you can use the tints in the realistic water. I quite like to look of the olive drab tint that is available.

I’ve got plenty to do in the meantime but I like to think a few steps ahead

Many thanks to everyone’s suggestions, it’s appreciated :good:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Nice job, that is some convincing canal soup.

It reminds me of a lovelorn girl who said: "He doesn't care, I might as well go and drown myself in the canal".

To which a cynic replied: " It might be quicker to drink some of it..."

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Not done much this evening, other than attach the wing walls

Because I altered the arch height this had a knock on effect meaning the wing walls wouldn’t fit as they were intended

I did a little cutting and reshaping and this is the best I could do.....

916ED24A-0EDD-4BBB-A02D-BA1F79882DA4.jpeg.b00b6b952a4205df0abd235210cfb4a4.jpeg

....not sure if I should add a little filler down  the gap or just paint it as it is a see how it looks afterwards?

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have seen the cap stones of wing wall end pillars virtually at ground level before now. It's all quite prototypical and that road bridge over the canal could pre date the railway architecture by almost a century. 

I think that a good boost to the plausibility of the scene (and your sanity) and a well earned break from carpentry would be to get a bit of realism painted onto that arch.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Having visited the UK and not found one straight line anywhere I would have to agree about the filling.

It can be a drag, especially the lack of straight roads, which I found out the hard way means you have to stay awake whilst driving.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I would fill it

I ended up filling it last night before I went to bed (I knew I would)

Since getting home I’ve given it a coat of grey as a base coat

3AC47426-2B0B-4CC7-8863-219109017029.jpeg.c2f1c5f2d121c4c325e73ee3b8a97244.jpeg

Not doing anything else till tomorrow evening because I’ve had a very busy day at work today and my brain cell hurts 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Despite my brain cell hurting I decided to do at least a little something to wind down

I cut the edging stones from the edge of a ratio platform kit top....

7C3AB2CD-ED95-44CE-BF25-F167E41B913A.jpeg.e2eb41d122e5c2fd86ce03e472057bed.jpeg

....and cut the bottom three courses of stone from the bottom of the platform edging from the same ratio kit

FF59A314-24E0-4232-B254-6987C0ACB1C5.jpeg.fb0354e16f470ad1277c0b5ee53d9aff.jpeg

....and ended up with this.....

6403FE4D-F9DE-41B9-B1A4-43FF39FCEBDD.jpeg.d6bd1c774d37797ad279900308856d3c.jpeg

....after some very careful bending and manipulating of the edging stones, not perfect but it’ll have to do because I had to use impact adhesive so it’s stuck solid

Ignore the mess on the canal floor, I wiped away a spill of glue and it removed some of the paint with it....oops :rolleyes:

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That looks bang on. So much does it say "canal" that you are hereby notified that your username is to be changed to:

ChuffingTelford.

Thank you :blush:

I’m thinking of not edging the opposite side and have it overgrown with green stuff.....maybe

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

The canal is spot on as it is Chris. The Grand Union looks like that for most of its length with one side overgrown. The bridge looks much, much better filled mate. There is nothing worse that a gap in a model where no gap would be in RL.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, lezz01 said:

The canal is spot on as it is Chris. The Grand Union looks like that for most of its length with one side overgrown. The bridge looks much, much better filled mate. There is nothing worse that a gap in a model where no gap would be in RL.

Regards Lez.

Thanks Lez 

I’d looked at a few photos of canals that were overgrown on the non-towpath side (for obvious reasons) so I was thinking of doing the same/similar

I’m glad I filled the gap too not because of real life but because I knew if I didn’t do anything about it it would have bugged me

• Like 1