Jump to content

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Despite my brain cell hurting I decided to do at least a little something to wind down

 

I cut the edging stones from the edge of a ratio platform kit top....

 

7C3AB2CD-ED95-44CE-BF25-F167E41B913A.jpeg.e2eb41d122e5c2fd86ce03e472057bed.jpeg

 

 

....and cut the bottom three courses of stone from the bottom of the platform edging from the same ratio kit

 

FF59A314-24E0-4232-B254-6987C0ACB1C5.jpeg.fb0354e16f470ad1277c0b5ee53d9aff.jpeg

 

....and ended up with this.....

 

6403FE4D-F9DE-41B9-B1A4-43FF39FCEBDD.jpeg.d6bd1c774d37797ad279900308856d3c.jpeg

 

....after some very careful bending and manipulating of the edging stones, not perfect but it’ll have to do because I had to use impact adhesive so it’s stuck solid
 

Ignore the mess on the canal floor, I wiped away a spill of glue and it removed some of the paint with it....oops :rolleyes:

 

 

Looking good.  For various reasons, canal water levels do vary a bit over time, so when you come to paint it, you _might_ want to consider a green "tide" line just above the water level, suggesting that the level is down slightly.

 

Adrian

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Despite my brain cell hurting I decided to do at least a little something to wind down

 

 

That's a cracking job mate, all credit to the brain-cell.

 

Al.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, figworthy said:

 

Looking good.  For various reasons, canal water levels do vary a bit over time, so when you come to paint it, you _might_ want to consider a green "tide" line just above the water level, suggesting that the level is down slightly.

 

Adrian

 

Thanks Adrian

 

I'd not thought about that

 

I'm using resin so I don't know where the water line will end up so I may have to guess at the resin thickness

 

  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

 

Thanks Adrian

 

I'd not thought about that

 

I'm using resin so I don't know where the water line will end up so I may have to guess at the resin thickness

 

 

Check the picture in :

 

 

which shows the tide mark just above the water.

 

Adrian

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve been messing about

 

I wondered if this would look okay....

 

26637773-92AA-41D6-B74F-06C71450C362.jpeg.8d1711821606c58bc4e6737ff01cce05.jpeg
 

.....but instead of having to do the whole length, cut the edge as random as my OCD will allow and have the rest of the towpath done in sand

 

288D496B-CAC7-458F-92B0-A86A9A2B8F1A.jpeg.da3d115109f09d6a5cf64dc50ef57847.jpeg
 

Would this be feasible do you think?

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely. The builders would have done everything to protect and maintain the towpath, you don't see an earth only towpath under bridges. You would probably find that around bridges it was a part of the bridge foundation. If you look closely at the towpath on the Lancaster canal below and ignore the tarmac, you can still see the cobblestones under the bridge and this is the same on all the rural sections. Further into the country, the towpath is compressed stone and earth, as it probably always has been.

Bridge_109,_Lancaster_Canal_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1651761.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

Hi, 

 

This is really spooky but I have been sussing out a 2 foot extension to my new layout (not on here yet) this very afternoon. 

I was doing a river but I have some scenic width the other side of the bridge (the exact same wills one!) so I decided on a canal so I can do a lock against the back scene. 

I came in to look at the scalescenes site for some dimensions and your thread happened to be the last page I looked at on chrome the other day. 

So there were your efforts for me to look at! 

Looks really good.... And I have some left over ratio platform bits too. So I'll probably nick a lot of your ideas. 

Thanks! 

 

James

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Definitely. The builders would have done everything to protect and maintain the towpath, you don't see an earth only towpath under bridges. You would probably find that around bridges it was a part of the bridge foundation. If you look closely at the towpath on the Lancaster canal below and ignore the tarmac, you can still see the cobblestones under the bridge and this is the same on all the rural sections. Further into the country, the towpath is compressed stone and earth, as it probably always has been.

Bridge_109,_Lancaster_Canal_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1651761.jpg


Have I taken my cobblestones too far out?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:


Have I taken my cobblestones too far out?

Probably.  Mr Wolf's photo matches the practice near us.

 

On the bright side: you can have a straight line now. :D

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:


Have I taken my cobblestones too far out?

 

I think that's a personal matter entirely between you and your Memsahib... 

Seriously though, I don't think it is all that critical, but I haven't personally seen them extend more than a few feet from the bridge, except in industrial areas or on the approach to a lock.

 

All this talk of canals, I'll be wearing a velveteen jacket and listening to @#£*ing folk music...

 

Must get RRH to play some of her godless jazz / rock n roll music quick! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

I must admit I do like how it looks

 

perhaps the builders got carried away, or maybe there was something industrial there when the canal was first built and it was knocked down to make way for the railway and over time the setts have sunk and got covered in muck?


BC52C7A0-FEAD-4197-A159-B8354A865223.jpeg.f1ba1f25f6b7fed79e5fd41b1a963d3a.jpeg

 

Looking at it I keep coming back to @Alister_G’s suggestion of having steps down the embankment

 

Its tempting....

 

 

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

That would be a good get out. The picture I posted has a ramp to one side and the surrounding area has been patched up more than once.

 

To paraphrase The (original) Italian Job: "Hang on lads, I've just had a great idea...."

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you cut some chunks of thick cardboard this shape ish and lay them against the bank. You should then be able to put a top on it for your rough wooden steps / anti slip bars viz.

 

IMG_20201128_170624.jpg.f3da06260e2d184de871c7ff630a2c4f.jpg

 

IMG_20201128_170632.jpg.2c87a4009694f76ff0027bf7a98d3d04.jpg

 

Excuse the grotty drawings, but the wolf's paws are covered in crud at present due to being in the middle of some specialised motorcycle swearing. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

If you cut some chunks of thick cardboard this shape ish and lay them against the bank. You should then be able to put a top on it for your rough wooden steps / anti slip bars viz.

 

IMG_20201128_170624.jpg.f3da06260e2d184de871c7ff630a2c4f.jpg

 

IMG_20201128_170632.jpg.2c87a4009694f76ff0027bf7a98d3d04.jpg

 

Excuse the grotty drawings, but the wolf's paws are covered in crud at present due to being in the middle of some specialised motorcycle swearing. 


I wanted to avoid steps from the road as the canal towpath wouldn’t have been a public right of way in the thirties 

 

27 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Sorry Chris, but please can I add my two penneth. I think wet greasy cobbles would be to dangerous for a Horse

 

That’s a shame, I thought it looked quite good

 

27 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Also, remember the tow paths you see today, were Tarmaced after the demise of the Horse Drawn Barge

 

There will definitely be no tarmac, I’m going for more of a compacted muddy pathway

  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Sorry Chris, but please can I add my two penneth. I think wet greasy cobbles would be to dangerous for a Horse.

 

Just my thoughts.

 

I think when granite setts were used for Victorian roads labourers would roughen up the surface with chisels to stop horses from slipping

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Never seen anti slip bars on towpaths except for in an arc around lock gates to give foot purchase for whoever opened them. The barge is easier for a horse to pull than a cart, which is why a horse can pull 20 tons or more on water. He would be very unlikely to slip. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.