• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That must be a pain in the ### considering the work you do. I had a similar problem!

I use a CAD program at work that hasn’t changed for about 20 years (I don’t even think it’s distributed anymore) but it works and it does what we want it too

My company doesn’t like to buy new software :lol: 

But I’ve been drawing on CAD for 25 years plus 3 years on a drawing board so I’m comfortable with that

But computery stuff other than that confuses the hell out of me, for example my PC at work was upgraded to windows 10 a few months ago and before that it was running windows XP that was quite a massive change for me :blush:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, lezz01 said:

XP to Windows 10 is a huge change Chris.

Regards Lez.

I did exactly that two years ago. I still run the old computer (standalone) though as I have two ancient applications that I like and use a lot but that will not run on anything newer than XP (please don't start talking about virtual machines, etc. I've had that discussion before and I'm happy with where I am).

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

It’s just bugging me because I’m not a fan of technology at the best of times so anything different than normal worries me (because I don’t understand it :blush:)

Hi Chris,

I had that RMWeb consent warning too once recently - but only once. I'm not sure what changed.

It's shown because of the cookies that RMWeb stores in your browser, or tries to store at least. A Cookie is just a little bit of info about you that the website can pick up whenever you visit it.

In this case I think RMWeb is trying to store a cookie on your Safari browser, to remember that you've said it's OK to store cookies (and so not ask you again) but Safari is refusing to store the cookie... :smile_mini: Confused?

Whether Safari blocks cookies is a setting you can change and there's another related setting called "Do not track me", I think. I'll have a dig around and tell you more later.

Later: In the IOS settings app scroll to Safari and then scroll to "Privacy and Security". If "Block All Cookies" is on you could try turning it off. If "Prevent Cross-Site Tracking" is on you could try turning that off too (but it's ON for me on my iPad and I'm not prompted every visit). If Block all cookies was already off then the problem is more complicated...

Edit: Thinking about it, it might be more complicated - but it's still worth checking the "Block all cookies" setting first.

Edit2: Andy has more info: 

Edited by Harlequin
  • Informative/Useful 3

13 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I don’t think I’m confident enough to scratch build just yet but I’m sure it’s something I’ll tackle one day

I've just build my First Wills Craftman building kit and it is a lot easier than I thought.    I cut the templates out and stuck onto supplied sheets. I Then cut round them using a new blade stanley knife using a file to tidy up the edges.  Then its just like building a kit.   very satisfying. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Chris,

I had that RMWeb consent warning too once recently - but only once. I'm not sure what changed.

It's shown because of the cookies that RMWeb stores in your browser, or tries to store at least. A Cookie is just a little bit of info about you that the website can pick up whenever you visit it.

In this case I think RMWeb is trying to store a cookie on your Safari browser, to remember that you've said it's OK to store cookies (and so not ask you again) but Safari is refusing to store the cookie... :smile_mini: Confused?

Whether Safari blocks cookies is a setting you can change and there's another related setting called "Do not track me", I think. I'll have a dig around and tell you more later.

Later: In the IOS settings app scroll to Safari and then scroll to "Privacy and Security". If "Block All Cookies" is on you could try turning it off. If "Prevent Cross-Site Tracking" is on you could try turning that off too (but it's ON for me on my iPad and I'm not prompted every visit). If Block all cookies was already off then the problem is more complicated...

Edit: Thinking about it, it might be more complicated - but it's still worth checking the "Block all cookies" setting first.

Edit2: Andy has more info: 

you lost me at cookies, unless you mean chocolate chip ones :P

Ive tried all those suggestions without success but thank you for trying to help

• Friendly/supportive 4

4 hours ago, darthmh said:

I've just build my First Wills Craftman building kit and it is a lot easier than I thought.    I cut the templates out and stuck onto supplied sheets. I Then cut round them using a new blade stanley knife using a file to tidy up the edges.  Then its just like building a kit.   very satisfying. 

I found that it was a good way to get into scratch building. Most of the work is done for you, such as all the detail parts. You don't have much to worry about really. The worst thing that can happen is that you make a #### of one of the wall pieces. The answer to which is to buy a pack of their walling in the appropriate pattern. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I found that it was a good way to get into scratch building. Most of the work is done for you, such as all the detail parts. You don't have much to worry about really. The worst thing that can happen is that you make a #### of one of the wall pieces. The answer to which is to buy a pack of their walling in the appropriate pattern. 

I appreciate that but I’m still not confident enough to attempt one just yet

• Friendly/supportive 7

54 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

You're making a splendid job of modifying and improving kits anyway, as good as anyone else on here and better than many, so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

The skill you’re showing on here, I’d suggest you could do it.

Give it a go.

It’s only your mind saying you can’t do it when actually you can...

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Given the approach you take, Chris, you should have no issues. 

Rob. 

• Agree 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Give it a go.  With your modelling skills it will be no issues.   You can quite often pick up the kits on EvilBay for less than a tenner and worse happens you will have lots of lovely spare parts for future kit modifications.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

19 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I have no doubt you would make an excellent job of a Wills Craftsman kit Chris, well within your capabilities.

I have made two - they are not that scary. I find the most challenging bit (but not too bad) is cutting out the window apertures, and ensuring there is a relatively seamless join at the corners of buildings by mitering the edges of the walls (of course lining up the brick or stone courses).  They are good fun to build and when painted look excellent.  I have the two road engine shed waiting for me to get off my a*** to build it.     

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well having looked at the number of  comments and the number of people who reacted to those comments, you appear to have twice as many people encouraging your model making than I have encouraging me to produce paintings and I do that for a living! :D

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Personally I wouldn't start my first scratchbuilding project using Wills sheets, they are great because of the amount of relief or detail but that's also what makes them more tricky to get right. I spent over a month doing a small wall and steps for the surround of a terrace outside a small chapel during lockdown.

I started with kits (not made to your superb standards though) and then progressed to a kit that was more of a scratch aid, this was in the late 70's, which was thin walled. I seem to vaguely recall that it didn't pass my critical eye even back then, but it did serve as a test bed and honed my skills.

Remember Pendon museum get potential modellers to make a Privvy as a test piece. So when you're good and ready, perhaps start on a small shed made from thin sheet embossed plasticard and use something like Slater's as the courses of bricks line up vertically which is better than Wills sheets as they don't.

I think the superb job you have done with the kits you've used is almost scratchbuilding anyway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, KNP said:

Don't forget that a scratch built building is just like a kit except you build the parts.

Spot on comment Kevin, that's exactly how I approach scratch building. First, make a kit of parts, then shove them together.

From this:

ladmanlow1359.jpg.8130ed7b509e17482ba273e0049b98e0.jpg

To this:

ladmanlow1482.jpg.8e045de1966d05469df9e6a08d7b0079.jpg

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
details
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, simonmcp said:

Personally I wouldn't start my first scratchbuilding project using Wills sheets, they are great because of the amount of relief or detail but that's also what makes them more tricky to get right. I spent over a month doing a small wall and steps for the surround of a terrace outside a small chapel during lockdown.

I started with kits (not made to your superb standards though) and then progressed to a kit that was more of a scratch aid, this was in the late 70's, which was thin walled. I seem to vaguely recall that it didn't pass my critical eye even back then, but it did serve as a test bed and honed my skills.

Remember Pendon museum get potential modellers to make a Privvy as a test piece. So when you're good and ready, perhaps start on a small shed made from thin sheet embossed plasticard and use something like Slater's as the courses of bricks line up vertically which is better than Wills sheets as they don't.

I think the superb job you have done with the kits you've used is almost scratchbuilding anyway.

Agreed - my suggestion would be to grab a sheet of Slaters corrugated iron, and start with a nice simple lamp hut. Less complicated than the pagoda we've already been admiring, and if it all goes wrong, all you've lost is a quids worth of plasticard...

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I've no doubt you could either, scratch build or build a craftsman kit. As people have said it's like kit building but you make the parts yourself. 

The corrugated hut idea is great, you've got nothing to lose but a sheet of plasticard, that's exactly what I did.

105596023_396449331296498_3990933870600515321_n.jpg.95ef6a82082455b64629dedda204914d.jpg

• Like 16
  • Agree 1