• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That little scene looks so very real thanks to a few simple things that other layouts seem to miss.

Thank you

on the subject of small details can you spot the difference

9571D728-CCC1-4123-9782-B971232A7555.jpeg.b3b87be38b6a7146d5c9a7b132a44c11.jpeg

435E6631-39D6-435D-AD12-82D830A5C53E.jpeg.9869a13d38c15d9a5dfe74ee14924d68.jpeg

But don’t phone in, it’s just for fun

Clue: it’s only something that would bug me and not a normal person :blink:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Is the red cable wrapped around the large pulley a couple of times and physically attached to the large pulley or am I missing something?

HELP!!!!

I think your explanation is correct :)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

The mounting of the gate to the post. 

we have a winner, sorry no prize though

I noticed on the photo it was bent so it had to go, still works as a hinge though because I dabbed a spot of glue on the underside of each hinge before cutting out the bit in between ;)

I’m such a fussy so ‘n’ so at times that it even drives me nuts :blush:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

That’s the only way I could see that working otherwise it would only do a single rotation and be as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike

I had sketched the rope drive in the middle of its travel, with rope wound around each end of the small drum. The rope is secured to the drum at one end, it then goes up over the large wheel and around it twice (for purchase on the wheel) it then runs back down to the small drum and enough rope is wound around the drum, (again secured to the drum at its end) to allow the lifting chain to run all the way out, running the wound rope off one end of the small drum and round the opposite direction to the other end of the drum. The rope drive is then set ready to be run backwards and pull the lifting chain back onto its drum.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I had sketched the rope drive in the middle of its travel, with rope wound around each end of the small drum. The rope is secured to the drum at one end, it then goes up over the large wheel and around it twice (for purchase on the wheel) it then runs back down to the small drum and enough rope is wound around the drum, (again secured to the drum at its end) to allow the lifting chain to run all the way out, running the wound rope off one end of the small drum and round the opposite direction to the other end of the drum. The rope drive is then set ready to be run backwards and pull the lifting chain back onto its drum.

I meant it was the only way I could figure out how the one in the photo works, what you suggested makes perfect sense

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I meant it was the only way I could figure out how the one in the photo works, what you suggested makes perfect sense

I see, sorry, thought that I had drawn it looking as though it was locked solid. :scratchhead:

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 25/01/2021 at 14:12, chuffinghell said:

Sorry about this guys but I'm still trying to get my head around the hoist cabling

I found this photo that appears to be rigged up

HOIST.jpg.a72276585e8e2942c4ed8beda4b3bf97.jpg

The chain (in green) goes over pully 'A' to drum 'B' which in turn is connected to the large pulley 'C'

However there only appears to be a single cable (in red) from pulley 'C' to the winch 'D'

Is the red cable wrapped around the large pulley a couple of times and physically attached to the large pulley or am I missing something?

HELP!!!!

This is how I thought it was done

crane2.png.3728392c76bf170d9c1194c9933ade56.png

So now I'm totally confused

As others have said, there were several ways to skin that particular rabbit. For this example, if it's the one you intend modelling, I think your first suggestion was correct, there being only a single rope running from the lower cranked winch to the large wheel at the top, with no second rope visible, at least to me. There appears to be a brake lever to control the lower winch, and, in any case, gravity will be providing considerable assistance in the lowering process, not requiring any manual effort. I would be worried if the system depended on the friction in the upper pulley, as there could be several reasons why it might fail to grip.

I've found a similar example in "Operating the Caledonian Railway Volume 2" taken at Lesmahagow which seems to show this single rope arrangement with at least five coils of rope wound around the upper pulley, as this snip shows, albeit a bit on the dark side.

122796758_crinsidegoodsshed.png.14991a381dd5a5c7da0ac9fc88c3435e.png

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 25/01/2021 at 14:12, chuffinghell said:

This is how I thought it was done

crane2.png

Me too, and so too other modern sources (like the usually excellent https://igg.org.uk/rail/9-loads/11-crane.htm, as below):

c-simp1.jpg

Now, not to say we're wrong, prototype for everything etc etc etc...but...

1681754475_ApplebysIlustratedHandbookofMachineryfig_131p_45.jpg.8a261f77d3f1d2d80591941c967c3f44.jpg860798641_ApplebysIlustratedHandbookofMachineryfig_130p_43.jpg.9fdd2b31e5f0ecc3c3db67e8585447d9.jpg

Mr Appleby, at least, did things differently.

The good news, is this makes sense of the Bakewell cranes you were previously working off. Here's the reciprocal view, from which

1200170885_Bakewell1960s.jpg.c1e80be911f8ddc7b964b84d9d2e2aaf.jpg

and of another image, at Fishergate Hill Station, in 1927, from which

862061310_FishergateHill1927.jpg.b34b5cf053a99e63f98116fefeeb3198.jpg

Note also that the wheel is empty between the rims [EDIT:] with the hook chock-a at the jib head (follow link to full image).

Had I checked the Appleby before marking the photos, I could have skipped the question mark!

I was looking for myself, because I didn't know the answer, but perhaps you'll find it useful. As ever, it's offered to try to help you make decisions you are happy with on a project it's a perpetual pleasure to follow. One reason for that is the effort you put in to make Warren convincing, and one aspect of that is the accuracy you strive for. How big an arse would a person have to be to withold information which could support that aim...?

All the best,

Schooner

ps. For completeness' sake, the only reference I can see for a cross over of the drive rope is the previously posted render, from here. The model is based on the yard crane at Dunster:

old-goods-yard-crane-at-the-railway-stat

...which gives little away. I can't find anything on how the crane was set up in its working days, although it must be out there somewhere...

Edited by Schooner
Missed a bit
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Schooner said:

crane2.png

Me too, and so too other modern sources (like the usually excellent https://igg.org.uk/rail/9-loads/11-crane.htm, as below):

c-simp1.jpg

Now, not to say we're wrong, prototype for everything etc etc etc...but...

1681754475_ApplebysIlustratedHandbookofMachineryfig_131p_45.jpg.8a261f77d3f1d2d80591941c967c3f44.jpg860798641_ApplebysIlustratedHandbookofMachineryfig_130p_43.jpg.9fdd2b31e5f0ecc3c3db67e8585447d9.jpg

Mr Appleby, at least, did things differently.

The good news, is this makes sense of the Bakewell cranes you were previously working off. Here's the reciprocal view, from which

1200170885_Bakewell1960s.jpg.c1e80be911f8ddc7b964b84d9d2e2aaf.jpg

and of another image, at Fishergate Hill Station, in 1927, from which

862061310_FishergateHill1927.jpg.b34b5cf053a99e63f98116fefeeb3198.jpg

Note also that the wheel is empty between the rims [EDIT:] with the hook chock-a at the jib head (follow link to full image).

Had I checked the Appleby before marking the photos, I could have skipped the question mark!

I was looking for myself, because I didn't know the answer, but perhaps you'll find it useful. As ever, it's offered to try to help you make decisions you are happy with on a project it's a perpetual pleasure to follow. One reason for that is the effort you put in to make Warren convincing, and one aspect of that is the accuracy you strive for. How big an arse would a person have to be to withold information which could support that aim...?

All the best,

Schooner

ps. For completeness' sake, the only reference I can see for a cross over of the drive rope is the previously posted render, from here. The model is based on the yard crane at Dunster:

old-goods-yard-crane-at-the-railway-stat

...which gives little away. I can't find anything on how the crane was set up in its working days, although it must be out there somewhere...

Thats brilliant! Extremely helpful. Thank you very much

This is what I was going for...

1B53E132-5D14-4F7A-93E1-474DB7CE2614.jpeg.1350ad8776fea10895c5bf2acfd2511f.jpeg

What size timbers do you think they would be? I’m thinking the main upright is about  8” or 9” square maybe?

• Like 2

That neck of the woods, maybe a shade more. If it helps for mine (assuming nothing off the peg will quite work) I'm planning to use .135" (3.4mm) styrene strip which equates to a bit over 10" in the real world.

Some other numbers from the same source:

• 12' jib radius
  • 10' height of lift
  • handle 2'10"-3'0" above the platform
  •  the crank handle would be 14-16"

By the way, the yard entrance looks excellent. Truly :) 

Edited by Schooner
Forgot the most important bit!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Schooner said:

That neck of the woods, maybe a shade more. If it helps for mine (assuming nothing off the peg will quite work) I'm planning to use .135" (3.4mm) styrene strip which equates to a bit over 10" in the real world.

Some other numbers from the same source:

• 12' jib radius
  • 10' height of lift
  • handle 2'10"-3'0" above the platform
  •  the crank handle would be 14-16"

The maximum Jib radius I can achieve is about 8ft (to allow 360 degree movement) but otherwise that info is very useful, thank you

17 minutes ago, Schooner said:

By the way, the yard entrance looks excellent. Truly :) 

Thank you, I’ve actually surprised myself how well it’s turned out :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

The maximum Jib radius I can achieve is about 8ft (to allow 360 degree movement)

Having said that this one looks like it would struggle to be fully rotated, unless it’s an optical confusion

58B891B7-143D-4EB5-9F70-6AE5360693E3.jpeg.2069e044ff4e21a75f734ee0ce3275da.jpeg

So maybe it’s not that important?

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Ponthir28 said:

.....getting to far side of wagon to me seems more important?

I agree, I would imagine as long as goods could be lifted and rotated far enough to put it on the platform that would be sufficient?

Anyway not all goods sheds used cranes, some used ivy :jester:

D1816505-593B-47AA-A2A8-F1120D52C6DF.jpeg.453f5e22a0bab22b0f34cb56991b0279.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Funny 8