• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Schooner said:

...a bit bloody good! Top stuff Chuffers :)

What were the dimensions again...?

...no reason... 

20210211_003519.jpg.85511b44761e4194fad73436503543b6.jpg

:angel:

what are your dimensions floor to underside of the beam and chain centre to post centre

20210211_003519.jpg.85511b44761e4194fad73436503543b6.jpg.19836460b51c0e71b16a15ea531074d3.jpg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

That is very true but since my last post I’ve cleaned it up with a wetted paint brush  because it turned out it wasn’t paint but black off the chain from using a brass blackening solution so I thought I’d better clean it off

2AA779E9-44B3-4A9D-8A75-B7082AB620C0.jpeg.15f01c80a58d022686c3113bbcc97bdb.jpeg

B5462950-8743-4496-AC65-6A1CB21427F4.jpeg.68170437888d505b2dfad1450c2e44e2.jpeg

I will weather it but only very slightly and I’ll use a little white powder on the black parts to highlight the details that at the moment aren’t really visible (poor lighting plus poor photography :lol:)

Morning Chris. 

Can I ask, where did you source that chain from ?

It really is very fine and I'm tempted to redo the crane on Bleat Wharf. 

Rob. 

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Chris. 

Rob. 

Hi Rob

It's Langley Ultra Fine Brass Chain, (40 links per inch)

I got mine from a well know auction site

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Fine-Ring-Link-Chain-30-inch-CHAIN00-Scale-Langley-Models-Accessories/302092723452?hash=item46562124fc:g:vo4AAOSw-bRemse5

Hope that helps?

Chris

Additional: the ‘steel cable’ is just silver cotton :blush:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Hi Rob

It's Langley Ultra Fine Brass Chain, (40 links per inch)

I got mine from a well know auction site

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Fine-Ring-Link-Chain-30-inch-CHAIN00-Scale-Langley-Models-Accessories/302092723452?hash=item46562124fc:g:vo4AAOSw-bRemse5

Hope that helps?

Chris

Brilliant, thanks Chris. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Chris. 

Rob. 

I think Peters Spares stock Cambrian pre-blackened chain of a similar size but it's twice the price once you factor in the postage

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I think Peters Spares stock Cambrian pre-blackened chain of a similar size but it's twice the price once you factor in the postage

I had been looking at that chain too when I was hunting around for something to secure timber to three bogie flat wagons and Rob had asked about the chain used on the water tank on my layout. I still haven't gotten round to buying any, as you say the Langley chain is a better price. It might become urgent in a few months!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

That shed crane is spot on. Did you have to sell a kidney to get it printed? I guess there are a number, who in the words of Andy Pitkin, "I want one..."

Thank you

It was a bit 'touch and go' putting the other bits on like the wire supports etc with it being quite fragile and painting was fiddly

I didn't have to sell any body parts this time but it was twice the price of say the Ratio Hoist :blush:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, lezz01 said:

.......It's just about the best goods shed crane I've ever seen in model form

Thanks Lez, very nice of you to say ^_^

11 hours ago, lezz01 said:

.....What you need to do now is model the goods shed being re roofed so you can see it in all its glory.

I'm planning on having the roof removable, I think I tend to over complicate things enough as it is :lol:

Glass roof lights in the ridge as per the old Ratio OO goods shed? Model the cart loading bay doors open to give a view through the shed (useful in a lot of ways) 

It would give a number of views of what has been quite rightly nominated as "just about the best goods shed crane I've ever seen in model form..."

I'll second that. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Glass roof lights in the ridge as per the old Ratio OO goods shed? Model the cart loading bay doors open to give a view through the shed (useful in a lot of ways)

I'm going to position the skylight lower down as this would give a better view into the shed at operator height (a bit of a cut ‘n’ shunt job)

B47975E5-82AD-40DE-80E5-64B58A64D74A.jpeg.a0407b09be6628b72b060e69f94066cd.jpeg

I’ve had to scribble on the drawing but basically X marks the spot :lol:

10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It would give a number of views of what has been quite rightly nominated as "just about the best goods shed crane I've ever seen in model form..."

I'll second that. 

Thank you

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Not surprised by that. As an aside, I have found some of their prices for Hornby spares are 'elevated' when compared to other stockists. 

Rob. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Not surprised by that. As an aside, I have found some of their prices for Hornby spares are 'elevated' when compared to other stockists. 

Rob. 

I find their postage costs are very high especially for items that could easily fit in a jiffy bag and have a stamp slapped on

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I find their postage costs are very high especially for items that could easily fit in a jiffy bag and have a stamp slapped on

Totally agree. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Very very good. I'll have to employ your skills when I start building my shed. It is a double road with double internal cranes. Have you thought about designing your other buildings yourself?

That is copy of @Schooner’s drawing but as you say it is very very good

I wouldn’t want to take credit for someone else’s work

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Having been inspired by @NHY 581’s fantastic wood weathering I made a start on the wood deck for the goods shed inner platform

0CF29A67-9348-4C2D-B3F4-BBCC64BEB9A1.jpeg.99bf26c1beeec207cd75bab983ebb6d2.jpeg

0EAAF0D6-6D42-4351-8F52-998A7CAAC678.jpeg.a12bf47689833eff020b712ea3853302.jpeg

0FF879AC-DBB7-49C2-AAC6-007C3D7DBD9E.jpeg.4e40c2b95d333fb9d19adf3c2ac08a96.jpeg

I basically painted it with sleeper grime and once dry dragged sanding sticks across the surface to simulate wear (boxes being dragged across etc)

Okay so its not a patch on what Rob has done but I’m pleased with it.

The crane isn’t vertical because I’ve designed it to be a loose fit in the top and bottom brackets so it can be rotated (in theory)

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

I’ve done a bit of a mock up

257FBE03-A2E7-4BB2-8807-8033E8807F30.jpeg.0cda2295e5bfd79663a9347b3904138e.jpeg

A wagon clears the hoist and more importantly misses the hook so I can position the hoist in which ever position is best visible through the open doors and/or the skylight still allowing rolling stock to pass

Or I can rotate it if I want to or rig up some chains on boxes being off loaded maybe?

Additional - I imagine the hoist wouldn’t have been left in position across the track but I want the hoist to be seen

Edited by chuffinghell
Additional comment added
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Gold

I got these off a well know auction site, I don’t know if they are 3D printed or resin cast but they look pretty good to me

E0E46BFF-AFDA-4FC1-B6BD-B4EF77043F10.jpeg.140d6668a07c15f0983c94b25772dca1.jpeg

I need to have a look on Modelu to see if they have any suitable figures to work in the goods shed.....when I finally get around to making the goods shed of course :blush:

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

They look very good. All the ones I have seen on the Bay of Fleas are supplied as one size in a set. Presumably to encourage you to buy lots to get a realistic selection like the one that you have.

you can buy sets of the same size, or an assorted set which I purchased

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222910430292

The link to the listing says no longer available but they appear to have quite a selection available and I’m sure if asked they would re-list the above 

3C40C6E0-32D2-4A24-9048-8296ACBA780D.jpeg.bd331964f64599100c8a154acefb7ac6.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5