• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Military stuff is very useful for model railways.....

Thanks Rob

I've just ordered one of these to go in the goods shed

460E302C-3B89-462B-8CB7-19448C480DBA.jpeg.1cafc7d3506cee10ed4b8a7760d482fa.jpeg

Should fit in there a treat :jester:

Although being dyslexic there is always the possibility of me ordering a panzer instead of a pannier

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Funny 14

Having no bridges on my layout is:

(a) prototypical of the area.

(b) a peaceful means of discouraging the placement of shiny toy buses on said bridges.

The flying artillery is merely a visual expression of my dislike of the cliché that is shiny toy buses on bridges. Bertie the bus is permitted as a piece of ironic witticism, proving that we do have a sense of humour...

As for knocking out a Panzer IV, you need at least five allied Sherman tanks, or six hundred Russians armed with rocks...

At least it was the originator of this topic steering us over a mine, now we can only drive in circles. 

Speaking of which, @chuffinghell  have you figured out how to get that goods shed printed yet? Or are you still lying down having had a quote for printing it out?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Speaking of which, @chuffinghell  have you figured out how to get that goods shed printed yet? Or are you still lying down having had a quote for printing it out?

I’m still waiting for the auction to finish to see how much I will get for the kidney I have  listed :lol:

I’m looking at redesigning it in kit form which should/might make it cheaper (less material)

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Whilst following @Bluemonkey presents....’s thread I noticed how neat, tidy and well organised his paints were.

I was actually embarrassed by how my paints were stored having previously just thrown them in a box (literally)

So I decided to get myself a storage unit

DD598497-0722-43AB-B277-1746FE6FC866.jpeg.1d3423b862d689c805502c09b8480772.jpeg

It won’t make my painting any better but at least I will be able to find the colour I’m after, I was that disorganised I had multiples of some colours and a couple of empty bottles :lol:

I also didn’t realise I had ten shades of grey....yes ten shades not fifty!

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4

I have all of my paints in a less stylish shallow tray, so at least they aren't triple stacked like they used to be, but half of the time I can't remember which one is which. I've taken to sticking labels on them with the maker's official title. Apart from the really familiar ones, the numbers mean squat to me!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I have all of my paints in a less stylish shallow tray, so at least they aren't triple stacked like they used to be, but half of the time I can't remember which one is which. I've taken to sticking labels on them with the maker's official title. Apart from the really familiar ones, the numbers mean squat to me!

Mine were just thrown in a cardboard box so it was the best £15 I’ve spent.

I’ve stuck labels on my home brewed dark and light stone and labels on some pre-thinned sleeper grime and frame dirt

85AA18E5-5270-4F32-9AFB-EFBFEC1D58A2.jpeg.c837f56102a8590b6b6a2e15ea4c54a7.jpeg

Not sure if it’s okay to pre-thin railmatch paint but time will tell

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I'm eying a paint rack on ebay. I have mine in a toolbox that only has paint and weathering things in and a draw of a plastic 2 draw unit that I take on uk holidays together with a portable workbench, it's the very first thing that goes in the car. The other draw has a selection of modeling tools as I usually build an Airfix or similar kit on holiday. Kimmy usually takes a cross stitch and word search books and I take a couple of non railway plastic kits that we do in the evenings rather than watching the goggle box. We do holiday things in the day and after dinner we do our hobbies in the evening or if it's raining. I have a nice 1/48th scale Defiant with photo etches ready for the next trip to Wales or the West Country. 

I transfer the paints I need for a given project to a wooden cutlery tray and work from there at home. Trouble is it's all got a bit out of hand so I was thinking of a proper paint rack on a hinged frame fitted to the front of one of the many bookshelves in my railway room so I can swing it out of the way when I need to access the bookshelf. This is the chappie I have on my wishlist.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wall-mounted-Paint-Rack-holds-105-pots-GW-Humbrol-army-painter-Vallejo-bottles/153878955379

Regards Lez.    

• Informative/Useful 4

I’ve got a nice three drawer store for paint tinlets. Only problem now is that the new Humbrol/Airfix tins seem to be just a tad wider and don’t fit..... Not sure if I want to make all the holes a mill bigger so I might have to dig out the old Ferrero Rocher boxes again.  Wouldn’t be at all surprised if they have changed the size of them recently as well though!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I was going to do a bit more on my model railway but I didn't want to mess up my paint organisation system.....:jester:

It does appear that way but I’ve been having a sort out and have rearranged my play room (I mean work space) to give me a larger area to work on

So I decided while I was at it I’d organise things.....it’s amazing what you find when you have a sort out

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Oddly enough, today has been spring clean day here. Found even more junk to put on eBay, as well as a binliner worth of crap. I don't know where it keeps coming from! I have also organised my paint, not just for model making but for my work too. I seem to have three of some colours that I thought I was running out of...

Sound familiar?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Chris, all this talk about paint organisation has 'stirred' something in me to the extent that I have put up additional shelving above my modelling work bench, had a clear out and ordered a new paint rack. Thank you for sharing your idea which did the trick in getting more organised. Also hadn't mentioned it as yet, what a cracking crane- superb work!

Now get on with the Goods shed :jester:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MAP66 said:

...all this talk about paint organisation has 'stirred' something in me..

:lol:

2 hours ago, MAP66 said:

Also hadn't mentioned it as yet, what a cracking crane- superb work!

Thank you

2 hours ago, MAP66 said:

Now get on with the Goods shed :jester:

I will, it's one of the reasons for clearing my work space

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

:lol:

Thank you

I will, it's one of the reasons for clearing my work space

I thought you were clearing your work space to make room for Ze Panzer Kampfwagen! :lol:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1