• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Nice job tidying, just remember to have your tools available to hand unless what you have in time searching for things will be made up with walking around getting the right tool.

Now just to fill that large space with multiple ongoing builds.

All my tools are now in the desk drawers so are close to hand, not very well organised  yet but I know where everything is

The main thing was to relocate the spray booth because it took up quite a bit of the desk space

1AD6BF46-3658-474A-843F-C9609369071F.jpeg.b3858cc33ff471f8ad1241472ad80dd3.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I didn’t have any suitable transfers to cut n shunt as I wanted a condensed font so I turned to Steve @railtec-models who came to the rescue.....as he always does

I’ve done a trial, one on black and one on the same grey as the crane

AE9F545A-9EE2-484F-BD36-A374B2094192.jpeg.1d58544a1244af663f8e0120f3d9b920.jpeg

I'm undecided on which to go for as I like both although I am leaning more towards the one on the black background as it stands out

E06C6E23-C2B9-45B5-B3FC-13B2177BD212.jpeg.1e7a1cc35321d20f13d5a7f209625b6b.jpeg

Thoughts anyone?

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Black label is the most convincing. Can I get the pedantry medal (first class with swords and oak leaves) and point out that as it's imperial tons we're talking, the wording would be all uppercase?

Until the 1970s, lowercase on instructive / warning signs was a. European thing.

Edited by MrWolf
PostScript!
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Black label is the most convincing. Can I get the pedantry medal (first class with swords and oak leaves) and point out that as it's imperial tons we're talking, the wording would be all uppercase?

Until the 1970s, lowercase on instructive / warning signs was a. European thing.

As James May often said oh co*k! :(

Too late now, it will just have to be wrong, it will match everything else on the layout :mellow:

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Ponthir28 said:

Black one for me. But being very fussy the black could faded a little bit. To look it was painted year’s ago 

I’ve started weathering

79F4AB25-7698-4E86-8356-0334519DB6D2.jpeg.c110b7c93be4dffdb22040fd17a19513.jpeg

Giving it an overall ‘dusting’ of frame dirt has already dulled everything down and used white weathering powder over the black appeared to give it a faded appearance as suggested

I’ve also attached the base I had 3D printed, it’s similar in design to the one that comes in the kit but is much smaller

The crane has been left free to rotate

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

It's taken on that purplish tint that old black paints (which were based on a blue tint) always do when outside in the elements for years.

030008c7.jpg.06fefdde45c7a781ed5e70404087fad1.jpg

I’d like to say that it was planned from the start and it was exactly what I was going for but the truth is I winged it and it just happened :blush:

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2021 at 03:31, chuffinghell said:

Still sorting stuff out so not done any modelling :mellow: however the cr@p has been moved so I now have a large work area

I've also added a socket under the window and a socket under the desk so I now have somewhere to plug in my Dremel and soldering iron without having to trail an extension from the other end of the room

CD27A5B2-5D42-418D-A290-E6D82DE766F8.jpeg.c7e6117614ea32d64ea1e79d460470ba.jpeg

I really hate those curtains! and the blinds need replacing too (something else added to the list)

Yes I know I’ve not done anything productive but I’m on a mission to get more organised because I tend to spend a hour trying to find things for a simple five minute job

I've also ordered a cheap Adjustable Swing Arm Architect lamp from Amazon which should arrive tomorrow (hopefully in one piece) because the fancy eye friendly LED lamp that boasts multiple light intensities and colours is basically about as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle so I’m going for a old school lamp with a old fashioned incandescent daylight bulb

Just one or two more days sorting out and a trip to the local tip and I’ll be able to do get something done....after I’ve done a few other odd jobs that need attending too

I will refrain from commenting on your curtains.  Got myself in a lot of trouble for expressing an opinion about curtains once before.

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

44 minutes ago, Bogie said:

I will refrain from commenting on your curtains.  Got myself in a lot of trouble for expressing an opinion about curtains once before.

Were they curtains that your wife  bought perhaps? 

Honesty never pays....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Were they curtains that your wife  bought perhaps? 

Honesty never pays....

Yes dear. :read:

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I’ve attempted to apply some weathering powders to the crane, I’m always cautious with weathering powders as I always tend to apply either too much or too little (possibly down to lack of practice)

Anyway so far it’s quite subtle but I’m happy with it

A0C40424-2E39-4341-A54E-75E5C4B6FD68.jpeg.af99a51a8052a015a24ed61dee0a750a.jpeg

Tried to get a little black on the gear teeth to represent grease? I’ve also tried to imagine where water would sit and cause the most corrosion....it’s a steep learning curve

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

41 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve attempted to apply some weathering powders to the crane, I’m always cautious with weathering powders as I always tend to apply either too much or too little (possibly down to lack of practice)

Anyway so far it’s quite subtle but I’m happy with it

A0C40424-2E39-4341-A54E-75E5C4B6FD68.jpeg.af99a51a8052a015a24ed61dee0a750a.jpeg

Tried to get a little black on the gear teeth to represent grease? I’ve also tried to imagine where water would sit and cause the most corrosion....it’s a steep learning curve

I have noticed rust forming on chains, I suspect due to the movement of the chain 'damaging' each shackle and allowing water to penetrate the metal surface. 

• Informative/Useful 1