• RMweb Gold

After a little* filling, filing and trimming last night I sprayed a coat of car filler primer, I had to spray it in the shed though otherwise I would have been in trouble because being car spray paint it stinks :lol:

*well maybe more than a little :blush:

This morning I had to do a little more because the primer had highlighted a few areas that needed more work but the filler primer sands quite easily. On a few of the bigger gaps I used Holts knifing putty because it drys quickly and again sands easily

Anyway it’s now had another coat of filler primer so I’ll have to leave it till tomorrow before I can do anymore sanding/fettling.... I wanted to start painting it today so I’ve got to resist the temptation to fiddle with it because you’re supposed to leave it 24hrs to harden

043BC5E6-C1D0-4308-A482-1199D0718BA8.jpeg.a79f980c5cf2cf6aa0bd2868179cd546.jpeg

Oh and I’ve finally bitten the bullet and ordered the body from shapeways, it’s estimated dispatch is 19th March. I’m still not sure if I will have to pay import duty now we’re out of the EU though :huh:

Edited by chuffinghell
Smelling error
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

I have ‘cheated’ though :blush: and ordered it with the exterior platform attached

47E6534A-DE80-4DD9-A886-5E39C9A9D739.jpeg.e49cd9f4eaf13df907e6769a0dae9836.jpeg

I got more for my kidney I sold on eBay so I could afford to buy it in one piece

I have no idea what material or what colour it will be though because I selected the cheaper ‘first available plastic’ option because it was about £15 cheaper

https://support.shapeways.com/hc/en-us/articles/360057594293-First-Available-Material-Offering

Fingers crossed

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just taken delivery of another custom  storage unit so I’ve got a bit of a jigsaw to put together...

351C8FBF-CD35-472F-B8B2-50BBB42A5FB5.jpeg.93ef53ff287c8bdc64b0096fe707f1ab.jpeg

...that will stop me messing with the roof truss while the paint is drying

It’s a custom one based on one of their standard items but as usual I have to be awkward :blush:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STORAGE-DRAWERS-FOR-TIERED-PAINT-STAND-RACK-VALLEJO-CITADEL-40K-DESK-TIDY-/283991080529?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I can heartily recommend them. No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

49 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I just wish I knew how to use the weathering powders properly...

I was looking at one of the threads on RMWeb recently, having been mightily impressed by the author's work and weathering. I'll quote their method below, hope you find it as helpful as I have:

49 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

...just slap them on and hoping for the best :lol:

:jester:

Top stuff Chris, really great modelling. The shed roof looks ace, can't wait to see it come together, and thanks for the lead on desk storage. I'll be stealing from both before long :)

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Oh and I’ve finally bitten the bullet and ordered the body from shapeways, it’s estimated dispatch is 19th March. I’m still not sure if I will have to pay import duty now we’re out of the EU though

It depends on the cost. If you've spent over £135 on it, then expect the pleasure of paying surcharges on surcharges. Below that you should be fine (check what Shapeways did with the VAT portion though). I made an order of something non-railway related just before Christmas, £108 inc VAT, no charges to pay when it arrived a month later.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

It depends on the cost. If you've spent over £135 on it, then expect the pleasure of paying surcharges on surcharges. Below that you should be fine (check what Shapeways did with the VAT portion though). I made an order of something non-railway related just before Christmas, £108 inc VAT, no charges to pay when it arrived a month later.

Its a lot less than £135 so I’ll just have to see what happens because Shapeways haven’t appeared to have added the VAT either

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/02/2021 at 22:16, Nick C said:

Yes, I should know to be more precise on this thread! 

Nitrogen    N2   78.084
Oxygen    O2     20.946
Argon    Ar         0.9340
Carbon dioxide  CO2  0.041500
Neon    Ne        0.001818
Helium    He     0.000524
Methane    CH4    0.000187
Krypton    Kr    0.000114

You forgot the H2O... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this technique has been done before but I’ve had a play with the paint effect on the inner platform.

After spraying a light grey base coat and going over the whole lot with a black wash I decided it was too flat looking

So starting with white in the airbrush I sprayed from about 18” away moving the airbrush around randomly then the same with progressively darker shades of grey (without washing out the airbrush)

In essence covering it in overspray and this is the effect, a kind of ‘speckled’ effect 

86CAB886-5E6C-4860-8B1D-06CB206717F3.jpeg.0ab77cce736729c5f5ba00b892bb4517.jpeg

If this hasn’t been done before I’m claiming it as my own :lol:

I’ve since gone over it with a wash to blend it together so hopefully it hasn’t just erased what I’ve done (depends how it drys) but if it has it’s an easy enough process to replicate

I'm still not sure if I’ve painted the wood deck too dark, I might have to redo it unless anyone can talk me out of it

• Like 4

Like the paint effect.

To my eye the timber is a bit too dark. Before repainting try going over it with an off white or light grey thin wash brushed in the direction of the planks . Might need a couple of attempts then do individual planks only to get a tone variation.

Thin washes only!!!!’

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KNP said:

Like the paint effect.

To my eye the timber is a bit too dark. Before repainting try going over it with an off white or light grey thin wash brushed in the direction of the planks . Might need a couple of attempts then do individual planks only to get a tone variation.

Thin washes only!!!!’

I knew it was too dark the second I started spraying it so I wasn’t happy with it being that dark. I wanted more of an aged look which would be more grey than brown I imagine so I’ll have a look at what you suggested (on a scrap piece first)

I still need to do a little more on the stone work so I’ll attack it with weathering powders tomorrow plus adding some green at the bottom

In both cases worst I’ll just repaint them as my modelling approach is still very much trial and error

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Hi Chris does this help to point you in the right direction as regards more realistic wood finish as practised by @NHY 581?

Thanks Jonathan

Yes, I've seen Rob's impressive work. I doubt I can replicate it........but I'll have a try as I decided to strip back what I'd done and start again

I'm also redoing the inner platform, I'm going to attempt to use powders this time

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been looking at the Vallejo wood effects kit but it appears I have a most of the colours (or at least very similar) including ‘concrete’ which I never used because I ended up using grey for the engine shed base.

Anyway after watching a video on FaceTubeStagram it appears the concrete is used as the base coat for old wood effects

So that being the case....

39C8A425-3470-460D-84E4-5CD13B3BC834.jpeg.2e9436bc5ef0fbfca469dd2ee23308d6.jpeg

....I’ve painted the ‘wood’ with well ‘concrete’ although I’ve changed the needle in my airbrush and forgot to adjust the air pressure so it’s gone on a bit thick...oops, oh well it just adds some texture :lol:

Well I wanted a greyish brown, I now need to read and reread and fully digest @NHY 581’s excellent post on weathering wood. If I can get it half as good as Rob I’ll be happy

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Looking good Chris, I can vouch for the vallejo co!ours, I've got the wood set and there's plenty of effects you can get using them. I've never sprayed with them though, how did you get on with it, did you thin them or use a retarder as acrylic paints can dry pretty quick? 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Looking good Chris, I can vouch for the vallejo co!ours, I've got the wood set and there's plenty of effects you can get using them. I've never sprayed with them though, how did you get on with it, did you thin them or use a retarder as acrylic paints can dry pretty quick? 

Thank you

I use mostly Vallejo Model Air which are airbrush ready so they can be used straight out of the bottle without the need for thinning. I only use the thinner for the Vallejo varnishes.

I don’t use a retarder although I have got a small bottle of flow improver but I only appear to have to use that for white for some reason.

• Informative/Useful 1