Likewise, I think because you can file it on a shelf and come back to it. Not always the case with a digital copy. Somehow it's not physically " yours".

I have a number of obscure back issues which inspired me over the years too. I prefer those at 3 for £1 at exhibitions, rather than one for £5.99 on eBay, but it's a of a seller's market at the moment!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I'd like to think I'm not the only one who prefers a physical copy of a magazine :scratchhead:

Sadly this is true. Which is why I have so many bookshelves in the railway room.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Being dyslexic I only look at the pictures anyway :blink:

I don't buy books for a similar reason, although I'm not dyslexic, I have trouble reading long script, and so I just tend to look at the pictures and captions. After a few flicks through a book, I sort of tend to know what the caption says, and so skip to the next page.

• Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Being dyslexic I only look at the pictures anyway :blink:

4 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I don't buy books for a similar reason, although I'm not dyslexic, I have trouble reading long script, and so I just tend to look at the pictures and captions. After a few flicks through a book, I sort of tend to know what the caption says, and so skip to the next page.

NOTE = I used to treat myself to 3 Railway Mags a Month, and then one day I realised I had actually read none of them over the course of about a year, I had just looked at the pictures and captions.

I now don't buy any Mags, unless I have an article in, or a nice pic like this Months BRM.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

........although I'm not dyslexic, I have trouble reading long script, and so I just tend to look at the pictures and captions.........

I'm not officially dyslexic (but tick all the boxes for a diagnosis) what you have said there pretty much sums me up. I'm fine with short paragraphs and have no problems with numbers. I tend to read a paragraph of an article, put it down for a bit and then read the next paragraph, I'm a very slow reader.

I'd definitely struggle with say a novel...........so I'd just wait till the film comes out :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I have the opposite problem. By the time I was eight years old I had an above adult average reading ability. 

I had begun to read anything that I could find that interested me. I read very quickly and can get through the average novel in a night. Articles with photographs that I can relate the masses of technical detail to I find very useful. The downside is that I can get through a magazine in 20 minutes. That's about £12 an hour at model railway magazine prices.

• Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Much prefer a "physical" copy of a magazine and I look at the pictures way before reading anything! Then get all dissapointed once I've read it and have to wait another month for the next one! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Much prefer a "physical" copy of a magazine and I look at the pictures way before reading anything! Then get all dissapointed once I've read it and have to wait another month for the next one! 

It takes me a month to read one so I don't have that problem :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Hmmm... we have one of those, I wonder if SWMBO would miss it?

Put it away "somewhere safe". If she doesn't notice it's missing after a month, it's all yours.

Edited by 57xx
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I'd like to think I'm not the only one who prefers a physical copy of a magazine :scratchhead:

You aren't, they are much easier to read than the digital copies, especially when you have pics covering a double page spread. No scrolling up and down and less eye strain.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

I would give online magazines a go, despite having only phone for viewing, but I am certain that I would still be buying dog eared back numbers if there was something that I could use in them.

• Like 2

I love physical copies of magazines.   Being on the wrong side of a particular large lake, I have trouble with the English publications right now.   The one from Great Magazines just told me my copies could be 6-8 weeks behind, moving ocean.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I would give online magazines a go, despite having only phone for viewing

On a phone...? Do you sleep on a bed of nails and stick bamboo splinters under your finger nails for fun? :jester:

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Put it away "somewhere safe". If she doesn't notice it's missing after a month, it's all yours.

I see you've read the manual properly then.

Regards Lez.

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I would give online magazines a go, despite having only phone for viewing, but I am certain that I would still be buying dog eared back numbers if there was something that I could use in them.

My main device is a phone and thats what I use to access Readly. Its fine. That said I like a magazine to read and that's why I still get MRJ. 

I also seek out old mags for a particular article but its rare that I do. By using Readly the number of magazines I have to store has dropped and has to be more eco-friendly. Also I'm saving money. For £7.99 a month the family have access to literally hundreds of magazines. 

BRM, Model Rail and Hornby magazine are on there as well as a number of European magazines. 

Rob

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I see you've read the manual properly then.

Regards Lez.

I'm certain that if you think that you have understood the manual, the manufacturers will reserve the right to change the specifications without prior notice.

Or mine is actually some weird kind of Terminator or something....

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'm certain that if you think that you have understood the manual, the manufacturers will reserve the right to change the specifications without prior notice.

Or mine is actually some weird kind of Terminator or something....

So I believe also. The trick is, of course, not to let on that you have read and fully digested the said manual.

Regards Lez. 

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

So I believe also. The trick is, of course, not to let on that you have read and fully digested the said manual.

Regards Lez. 

You do of course realise that should she discover the deception, all romantic privileges may be revoked?

Anyone who is married is unlikely to notice the difference due to romantic privileges having been revoked well before the first anniversary.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, 57xx said:

On a phone...? Do you sleep on a bed of nails and stick bamboo splinters under your finger nails for fun? :jester:

I have a very large antique bed thanks. But as any man knows, we have to be grateful for a four inch wide strip of mattress on the edge nearest the draught. :D

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

Hmm this manual that you are referring to would that be the one translated by a Frenchman into Swahili which was then translated into Servo Croatian by a south Korean and reinterpretated by an inuit into mandarin? Of perhaps it was the one where all the diagrams were incorrectly captioned. Its just that I'm asking on behalf of a 'friend' you see as he wants to make a good impression when he meets the in-laws.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I think it was translated into double dutch then back into English by the same chap who subtitled those dodgy Yugoslavian war films starring Richard Burton as Teto from the 70s. If you've seen them you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Regards Lez.  

Edited by lezz01
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That's the one, it's very similar to the illegible scrawl photocopied at an angle on minimum setting that often passed for instructions in etched or cast kits back in the 1980s.

The thing is, as a pharmacy tech, I've been deciphering dodgy illegible scrawl on prescriptions for well over 20 years now so I'm at a bit of an advantage here.

Regards Lez. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2