12 hours ago, lezz01 said:

This is what I brought Chris.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50g-Crystal-Glass-Watch-Plastic-Repair-Glue-Nozzles-21-LED-UV-Torch-Set/123014322541

I have no connection with this seller other than as a super happy customer. 

Kimmy started me off with a Bondic kit at Christmas, just to get me going and I found it a bit of a struggle to start with but once I realised that the issue was the rubbish light you get with Bondic, the 5 seconds they say you need to use the light for is nonsense it's more like 30 but once I got a good UV torch it worked really well.  I really haven't looked back. I haven't used super glue since.

Regards Lez.

Is the stuff tacky at all before you set it? 

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Is the stuff tacky at all before you set it? 

No Steve.

It remains liquid until you hit it with the light so you can wipe off the excess before you set it. If you get it on your hand you just wipe it off with a tissue. It's a bit thicker than standard super glue but not as thick as the thick gel type. It flows very well and you can build up layers, once it's fixed you can file it. I think you might even be able to machine it although I haven't tried it yet. The best thing is no more stuck fingers. As most of you know super glue was invented to stick wounds rather than sewing them during the Vietnam war so the thing it sticks best is you which isn't ideal. Super glue still as a place in my armoury but I use it very little now. A good trick to stop the cap sticking on a tube of SG is to wipe the nozzle with a steri wipe before you replace the cap. If you don't have any then I recommend them they aren't expensive and they have many uses in modeling. In fact if you are on good terms with your pharmacist you might even be able to score them for free. When a patient dies and the unused meds are returned to a pharmacy they can't be reused and have to be destroyed, even alcohol wipes, so you might be able to get your hands on a returned pack for nothing as long as you explain that they aren't for medical use.       

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Nice bit of info there Les, thank you. :good: I've tried so many ways to stop a super glue nozzle clogging, I just stick to using very cheap stuff now. 

Edited by sb67
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

I've given up on branded superglues and get a card of 6x5g tubes for 75p from our cheap and cheerful, sells everything shop in the village. That way I've usually a working tube if the top on the one I'm using is stuck.

I generally try to avoid using superglue when I can which is why it’s no good by the time I come to use it.

perhaps having several small tubes as suggested would be better though

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I generally try to avoid using superglue when I can which is why it’s no good by the time I come to use it.

Keeping it in the fridge seems to prolong its life.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Keeping it in the fridge seems to prolong its life.

It will prolong the glue's life but it's no good unless you can get the top off the tube!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

It will prolong the glue's life but it's no good unless you can get the top off the tube!

I’d be more concerned about it accidentally being put on my butties for work :jester:

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I’d be more concerned about it accidentally being put on my butties for work :jester:

Don't worry we'll make certain that the Coroner knows that it was accidental and not a deliberate attempt by your better half to poison you in frustration at how much time your spend on your hobby.  We wouldn't want her to be accused of murder would we.:D

• Funny 3

Accidentally.

At least that's what your memsahib is going to make it look like.....

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Misread that as butts ...........

• Funny 6

Don't blame yourself, all sheep have compromised forward vision. Their eyes are positioned to keep a look out for predators.

Which is why you don't get any ovine newsreaders.

Edited by MrWolf
Typing with the back set of paws again.
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Mick Bonwick said:

I knew you'd get to the bottom of it.

Cheeky. 

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Don't blame yourself, all sheep have compromised forward vision. Their eyes are positioned to keep a look out for predators.

Why is why you don't get any ovine newsreaders.

It doesn't appear to affect their superior weathering skills though

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

32 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

It doesn't appear to affect their superior weathering skills though

That's very true and doubtless born of the ability to be outside in all weathers for your entire life.

But most importantly, everyone sees the world around them, but only a few can see it and make a mental note of the finer details.

That is a talent which model makers develop with practice.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Don't worry we'll make certain that the Coroner knows that it was accidental and not a deliberate attempt by your better half to poison you in frustration at how much time your spend on your hobby.  We wouldn't want her to be accused of murder would we.:D

It might come under the justifiable homicide criteria so it's all good.

Regards Lez.  

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

It should stop them falling apart when you pick them up.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/03/2021 at 19:58, chuffinghell said:

It appears to have turned out okay.....thankfully

55EF592F-2A5A-409E-BF05-0F307FC6D17E.jpeg.aacdb809004821218834c0f2c307e3a9.jpeg

No obvious glue splodges visible

Top right corner looks the same colour to me, it's just a trick of the light.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2020 at 12:28, Harlequin said:

Does this offer any inspiration?

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrw2627.htm

gwrw2627.jpg

You could knock out a whole train of 'em just like the photo! :wink_mini:

Edit: Nothing is ever simple... Turns out these are actually Hydras but the basic idea would still work with Loriots in a goods train - or you could start to produce Hydras!

I saw that and thought the crates were labelled "WIDGET".

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I’ve finally had an e-myther from shapeways to say my good shed has gone to the printer....I placed the order three weeks ago :rolleyes:

I just hope that the other bits I’ve made will actually fit otherwise there will be a very unhappy bunny at Warren

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 57xx said:

Revisiting optical delusion briefly, are squares marked A and B the same shade of grey?

Grey_Illusion.jpg

The draughts piece is too thick, too large in diameter and should be black or red 

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3