On 18/03/2021 at 19:18, Martin S-C said:

You're right, now is not the time to make such a huge change, I did want to point it out though. Factories and other facilities are almost always on the side of a canal away from the towing path for reasons of security. A horse drawn boat would simply be either poled across or a bridge would be built at places of industries to allow animal access but it is your model so you are free to do as you wish!

By sheer coincidence I have just been browsing various editions of Archive magazine from 2018 which carried a series of articles on the Trent and Mersey Canal by Euan Corrie. In part 2, in Issue 99, he notes in a caption "This wharf (Middlewich Town) was typical of many on the Trent and Mersey in its towing path location. Later canals were generally provided with wharves on the outside where moored vessels did no inconvenience passing traffic that had to be towed from the path." The T & M was completed in 1777, so it was one of the earlier ones. The photo referred to also appears as the cover picture and can be seen here https://lightmoor.co.uk/books/archive-issue-99/ARCH99

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I dare not admit I’ve painted the angle iron too then :blush:

770E4C06-B624-4125-9A7F-F62461CCCBE6.jpeg.6a80c7bf1170bcdd2402f9f48b9fafa5.jpeg

Too late Chris, it's out there, everybody knows now. Keep it stum next time :lol:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I do like railtec transfers

7451F1EC-1C3F-4FE2-BB50-CAEAA0F6DAC1.jpeg.b71a4cfa452e48c3021f2c9d2d993ea2.jpeg

I also decided to paint the lamp irons on the sides, don’t know why but it’s what I did on the last one

466513CC-6AB6-4F80-B7E5-AAD9A42D3348.jpeg.bd02d3013311794bbbd2392e28831516.jpeg

Just need to leave it overnight before applying a matt varnish over the transfers

• Like 12

4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Been having a think (dangerous!) about what to put in the goods shed. I’ve got some Modelu figures in various positions that I wondered if I could use

4DCDB1B2-88B4-4418-8C1A-D6E7CA48A976.jpeg.d0b54ef74b59daac9122f6552ebb9102.jpeg

That’s every moment of every day with a young child. 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I applied matt varnish first thing this morning, unfortunately this afternoon the varnish has reacted with something and had started to peel off

Removing the varnish has obviously removed the transfers too so I've ordered more transfers from Railtec

The only thing I’ve done differently is to use T-cut to remove the original lettering, so perhaps there was still some T-cut residue on the surface?

Whatever it is it’s got to be redone, it was only a little side project while I’m waiting for my goods shed but it is still a little frustrating when you have to do things more than once

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

The only thing I’ve done differently is to use T-cut to remove the original lettering, so perhaps there was still some T-cut residue on the surface?

That rings a bell, I don't think you're the first to have this problem. Any sort of residue, such as glue from the transfer, can adversely effect the varnish.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Nile said:

That rings a bell, I don't think you're the first to have this problem. Any sort of residue, such as glue from the transfer, can adversely effect the varnish.

When I’ve done Bachmann wagons I’ve used micro-sol to successfully remove decals but it just wouldn’t shift the Hornby ones for some reason

Once the replacement transfers arrive I think cleaning the area with isopropyl before applying the transfer may help to remove any T-cut residue

16 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Atmospheric conditions alone will do it too. 

Regards Lez.  

I used varnish in my airbrush so it was done indoors but you’re quite right about atmospheric conditions can cause problems

I use to use varnish in a spray can in the shed and it nearly always bloomed because it was blooming cold in there 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Yeh I have a tale of woe concerning a 1/72nd scale Dam buster Lancaster with a photo etched interior which had taken me two holidays in Wales to build, it went all pear shaped when I started to varnish the wings. Fortunately it was only the wings that were damaged as I stopped after just varnishing the wings as they just didn't look right but sourcing new decals was a real pain and it's still not finished.

Regards Lez.  

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Just about all my epic modelling fails have been due to varnish malfunctions. The stuff is a bloody menace if you ask me.:ireful:

Regards Lez. 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/03/2021 at 13:52, chuffinghell said:

I applied matt varnish first thing this morning, unfortunately this afternoon the varnish has reacted with something and had started to peel off

Removing the varnish has obviously removed the transfers too so I've ordered more transfers from Railtec

Whatever it is it’s got to be redone, it was only a little side project while I’m waiting for my goods shed but it is still a little frustrating when you have to do things more than once

Out of curiosity, what varnish was it?

• RMweb Gold

Wonder if it's anything to do with traces of ammonia left from the T-Cut then, I know ammonia can react with acrylic paints (some people use "Windex" to thin acrylics).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 57xx said:

Wonder if it's anything to do with traces of ammonia left from the T-Cut then, I know ammonia can react with acrylic paints (some people use "Windex" to thin acrylics).

that’s interesting, do you think 99.9% isopropyl would remove any traces?

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

that’s interesting, do you think 99.9% isopropyl would remove any traces?

Yeah I reckon so, as always, do your skin test first...