• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

This what you need. I think a man of your skills could knock that up in ten minutes. ;)

bargeboard-498458033crop-568b0f623df78cc

An Allan Downs trick was to use a wide strip of plasticard, drill holes down the middle, then cut in half through the holes.

Not quite as fancy as shown above, but still effective from a few feet away. 

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday evening I was very tired but decided to start weathering the roof of the pump house using my Citadel nuln oil

Unfortunately I applied far too much and it was drying really quickly, so in a panic I grabbed the nearest rag and started to wipe it off

What I didn’t realise was the rag had enamel thinners on (I think) and it appeared to make a real mess, taking off paint layers as well as the wash

So I put it to one side with a view to striping it back and starting again

However I’ve come back to it this evening and it actually looks quite good, so it was a happy accident....I’m sure I couldn’t replicate the ‘incident’ though

Ignore the shine, I’m still waiting for my Matt varnish to arrive

The smaller roof in the photo is me practicing adding moss with powders (because that’s all I have to hand)

3E10B690-AB39-4C57-81CA-3787CC5B0129.jpeg

You'll just have to take my word for it that it looks better than the photo suggests

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

.............when they are on the layout they would never be seen this close up. Photos can be very cruel.

In this case the pump house is located at the front on the layout, right under my nose although it won't be viewed as up close as the photo

It is true that photos are cruel because at this stage I'm contemplating a strip back and redo just based on the photo :huh:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst at work I’d basically decided that the first thing to do when I got home was to strip the roof

before I do I went mad with the green powder

FF53B4BC-5356-41DD-A7C1-F836CD38B4B7.jpeg

I think I prefer it like this, I’ll give it a blast of Matt varnish and see what it looks like in the morning before I decided what to do

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

It might be better to leave the final weathering until the buildings are installed on the layout. You can then give them all a similar treatment to blend them harmoniously. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

It might be better to leave the final weathering until the buildings are installed on the layout. You can then give them all a similar treatment to blend them harmoniously. 

I’d not really considered other buildings

With never doing anything like this before I’m learning as I go, there are only going to be a hand full of buildings

I’m basically using this one to practice on (I’ve got to start somewhere)

I’m very grateful of your help, tips and advice though, it keeps me motivated

I have done a little more since my last post though, I’ve been looking at other modellers work and photos of the real thing....and basically unleashed my entire arsenal of powder 

Chris

915C6D56-9118-48AC-95D1-6C8ACE48DAC4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought this was a companion to the engine shed?

Edit: Sorry, re-read your post and understood 'handful' rather than 'not considered other buildings'. :)

Edited by Stubby47
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I thought this was a companion to the engine shed?

Edit: Sorry, re-read your post and understood 'handful' rather than 'not considered other buildings'. :)

It’s my poor grammar, I meant I had not considered the other handful of buildings blending in harmoniously with the pump house :)

that still doesn’t read like a proper sentence :huh:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

After a quick blast of Vellejo Premium Matt varnish (my new favourite)

I quite like how the roof has turned out, so it looks like I can but the brake fluid back in the shed......for now :lol:

All I need to do now is finish the bargeboards, facia, guttering and wire up the smoke generator :)

2E217E29-3C21-4EB6-B2A6-1F5BA9AEF720.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
Poor smelling and grandma
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Was there such a thing as health and safety during the mid to late thirties?

I’ve been wondering if I should put a handrail of some description each side of the steps up to the door

Fingers crossed my plasticard strips will turn up in the post tomorrow so I can finish it off, I do miss having a local model shop :(

online ordering just isn’t the same

Edited by chuffinghell

That building looks fantastic. I'd probably put some handrails on the steps but I dont know about health and saftey in the 30's, a bit later any metal would probably have been nicked for the war effort anyway! 

I'd aggree with stubby about final weathering on the layout, I think it brings everything together, not something I've thought about in the past but I did it on my last layout.  

I know people use the same pallete of colours for weathering accross the layout as well. 

I'm just about to attack a building with powders so it's interesting to see how you got on. 

Steve.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well the smoke generator works, pitty about the ‘clicking’ sound.....is that normal?

I’ll just use it as a gimmick to entertain friends and family 

1EF65614-2CC6-4575-89B4-634DF2C649FC.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, sb67 said:

That building looks fantastic. I'd probably put some handrails on the steps but I dont know about health and saftey in the 30's, a bit later any metal would probably have been nicked for the war effort anyway! 

I'd aggree with stubby about final weathering on the layout, I think it brings everything together.....

Thank you, I’m still learning as I go along. First building I’ve ever weathered

I was being silly regarding the H&S I just wanted an excuse not to fart about with Handrails :lol:

@Stubby47‘s modelling is superb so if I can do 10% as good I’ll be happy 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/08/2019 at 15:20, sb67 said:

That's pretty good for a first attempt, i'll look forward to seeing some more. Like the smoke effect :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve

I like the smoke effect too, its just a shame it makes that annoying 'clicking' noise :unsure:

Chris

• RMweb Gold

As the pump house project is nearing completion I’m thinking of building up the engine shed next.

obviously I have quite a bit left to do on the layout itself but I’m still struggling with a bad back at the moment so I’m taking it easy for a while 

Anyway, I have a bit of a dilemma regards the engine shed......personally I like the idea of leaving the doors off so you can see the inspection pit more clearly (plus I’m thinking of cladding the interior walls and putting some workshop tools & machinery in there)

I’m aware that it’s my layout and rule #1 applies but I wondered what others thought about having the doors left off and just attaching the bases of the hinges

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not many shed doors lasted too long - large area + high wind and they came away, all that was left was the post that held them open. Why not have the far door attached in the open position and the other under repair on a pair of trestles with a carpenter nearby, would make a nice cameo scene.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Sounds a good idea Chris, if you're modelling the interior it would be good to see it. Leaving the base of the hinge there implies they were there at some point. Maybe you could have a new set waiting to be fitted or the remains of the old ones nearby or the idea above is a good idea too.

Steve.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/08/2019 at 14:48, chuffinghell said:

Well the smoke generator works, pity about the ‘clicking’ sound....

Could you try lowering the voltage to the smoke generator? I wonder if it is due to the rate at which the smoke is generated. A slow lazy stack would look just as good. 

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Could you try lowering the voltage to the smoke generator? I wonder if it is due to the rate at which the smoke is generated. A slow lazy stack would look just as good. 

Paul.

Its funny you should say that, I’ve since found out the AC to DC converter I have has an potentiometer to adjust the voltage output, it’s factory set at 12v but apparently goes as low as 2.5v

65FAC765-187D-4915-A887-EC9F36C759E4.jpeg.111f00de0e220c96ae936edefea72b1d.jpeg

I’m yet to have a play with it at the moment

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, sb67 said:

Sounds a good idea Chris, if you're modelling the interior it would be good to see it. Leaving the base of the hinge there implies they were there at some point. Maybe you could have a new set waiting to be fitted or the remains of the old ones nearby or the idea above is a good idea too.

Steve.

My main concern was not being able to see the inspection pit with doors in place

My plan is to line the inside with embossed stone plasticard painted in an off white

I’m not going to go too overboard with the interior details, I was just thinking of a maybe a work bench and pillar drill......maybe?

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

On 30/05/2019 at 13:27, chuffinghell said:

Not sure if I've fully understood @Stubby47 and again I'm only playing about

untitled.JPG

Is it too late to have an opinion on this?

I think a rural station like this would have a cattle dock, livestock transport was a big part of the railways. If you want to have a more is less approach, then removing the siding outside the goods shed between it and the cattle dock might work. How much goods traffic are you expecting? 

J

• Agree 1