• RMweb Gold
On 08/05/2021 at 11:37, chuffinghell said:

I keep looking at the thornycroft kit but I don’t know if I’d make a good enough job, if/when you build it can you let me know how easy it is please

Well within your abilities, Chris.

I built one years ago.  No idea where it is at the moment though so I can't provide a photo.  However, I remember that I substituted short lengths of brass handrail for the pillars at the front corners of the cab as the plastic ones looked flimsy and not quite straight.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not been doing anything with the layout recently as I’ve been busy doing another project

Having gone to the effort of making a removable lorry load I started to think about an alternative scene using different figures and load (just to change it around now and again)

This chap is fine

FB5B62E1-EFA3-462D-A7A7-C7FD07463C99.jpeg.d22597b34b0229648e36f4344cdb7384.jpeg

However this guy isn’t

6A2349B7-E22D-4EFD-8A31-A2CE789DD090.jpeg.bc8932f87b613ca2c2e12090a31b27db.jpeg

I’ve always been impressed with the the modifications that @Mikkel makes to figures so taking a leaf out of @Mikkel’s book I wondered if I could change the position of him arm slightly

The best I could think of was cutting his arm off and rotate it slightly

9438220E-CFD7-4D55-B7C0-2142E46300BE.jpeg.cc8c7faf1830d3c96a813a1e367e3925.jpeg

It appears to have worked, I’m just hoping that when he’s painted it won’t be too obvious

05EC72A4-BCE5-4EAD-B5F4-362033E0EA35.jpeg.6c00368a970b66ff960cc6a3809043ee.jpeg

I’m yet to remove the ‘nibs’ left by the 3D print support structure

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m assuming it would be usual for the length of the platform to be a similar length to the weigh bridge office?

Yes, from all the reference I've found online.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I might have to step out of my comfort zone  and actually attempt to scratch build the weigh bridge hut :unsure:

Better to start small I suppose, obviously if it looks t0ss I’ll get something 3D printed :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 2

It depends on the type of loads and the type of vehicle using the yard. The oldest ones being around six ton capacity and designed as a cart weighbridge. These were generally around 13' X 7'6". As vehicle weights increased, the GWR and others had to fits sign to the office (which only needs to be big enough to house the balance beam or later, dial, a small desk and a stove. ) reminding visitors not to leave big stupid things on it such as traction engines.

Bridge plates themselves grew in length and weight, usually up to 20 tons. Sixteen and twenty foot plates are common. They often replaced earlier plates, but the office remained.

This one is from Church Stretton. 20 tons and about twenty feet long.

5076043_55aad36b.jpg.4c6a50a308d8de48def0da0eb744a046.jpg

• Informative/Useful 8

You could of course use that Ratio hut to get the major dimensions from / steal bits off and semi scratch build.

Someone did a kind of photographic step by step on his thread and blamed you for putting an interior into a lever frame hut...

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

You could of course use that Ratio hut to get the major dimensions from / steal bits off and semi scratch build.

Someone did a kind of photographic step by step on his thread and blamed you for putting an interior into a lever frame hut...

It had crossed my mind to use the door and windows, I’ve also got some Peco roofing so I can make the building longer and deeper if needs be

As the weight of the vehicle will be on the wheels would I get away with just having the wheels on the platform as that shouldn’t affect the scales?

• Like 1

The buildings all seem to be roughly the same size if you wanted a stone one that's a little bigger, you might look for pictures of Usk.

Building-1.jpg.84d40c323c66b622911f20e7c1b25a23.jpg

Mines loosely based on Womborne. 

wombourne_rear_of_odd_building(0).jpg.c8fa2f3a0974c2f277aa108ce6e9bfe4.jpg

The one at Warwick (Milverton) had obviously been upgraded and modernised, hence the Crittall front window instead of two sashes, which in itself was uncommon.

lnwrwar_stn2012.jpg.a99696e93587f6decdbad8b6c896472d.jpg

lnwrwar_stn2011.jpg.276d68e319f2415df85655fb44ac4135.jpg

It would have originally looked like Gosford Green, below.

lnwrcll106b.jpg

Can't remember where this is... ;)

gwrss543(0).jpg.6ae36fccafccfba1d7d6a92f63a34051.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Really like the image above and want to use it for Bovey Tor.

GY_01.jpg

Do you have to have a weigh bridge hut and a coal merchants office or can you get away with just a coal merchants office?

• RMweb Gold

Nice work on the figures! Are they Model U? The early Model U figures were a bit tricky to modify because of the material, but I believe Alan is now using a different kind. I have been curious to find out if it is easier to adapt.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Nice work on the figures! Are they Model U? The early Model U figures were a bit tricky to modify because of the material, but I believe Alan is now using a different kind. I have been curious to find out if it is easier to adapt.

Thank you

These ones are from Hardy’s Hobbies but appear to be of a similar material to the Modelu ones

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Do you have to have a weigh bridge hut and a coal merchants office or can you get away with just a coal merchants office?

Not sure bout that. Hopefully the better minds will know.

• Friendly/supportive 1