• RMweb Gold

I don’t like doing things twice but I wouldn’t have coped with a patch job.....even though you wouldn’t be able to see it with the engine shed in place

Theres obviously something seriously wrong with me :rolleyes:

• Friendly/supportive 1

Absolutely nothing wrong with your layout, though. Everything from the wiring alterations to the bedding of the shed looks bob on :)

Excellent stuff as always Chuff, keep up the sterling work!

Edited by Schooner
Stirling, sterling, stirling...
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Modified Hornby buffer stop back in place, attached using araldite fusion (other epoxy products are available)

Its not going to stop a high speed runaway but hopefully it will offer the rear of the shed some protection as epoxy is much better in shear than superglue......but it’s not indestructible

Although I’m rarely going to have a loco entering the shed to be honest

EC554E40-0A80-40A3-B0B1-5D83BD137E05.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, sb67 said:

The base looks good Chris, was it done with just those three colours and the sponge?

Steve.

Thanks Steve

yes just used three colours

1) firstly painted all over with the grey base

2) mixed white in with the grey used for the base and dabbed it on randomly with the sponge (after removing the excess)

3) mixed black in with the grey and again dabbed on with the sponge

4) lightly flicked over white specks followed by black

5) applied a coat of Matt varnish

Chris

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

18 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Although I’m rarely going to have a loco entering the shed to be honest

Probably too late to say this then. If you want to make sure that a runaway loco doesn't blast out the back of your carefully built shed. Consider an isolation switch for the track inside the shed. You could have a simple toggle switch that you normally leave in the off position, then when you want to put a loco away, you can enable the switch, and drive the loco in gently.

J

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Julia said:

Probably too late to say this then. If you want to make sure that a runaway loco doesn't blast out the back of your carefully built shed. Consider an isolation switch for the track inside the shed. You could have a simple toggle switch that you normally leave in the off position, then when you want to put a loco away, you can enable the switch, and drive the loco in gently.

J

Being an end-to-end layout none of the locos will be running at high speed plus as its a DCC layout I've got an emergency stop

Edited by chuffinghell

8 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Being an end-to-end layout none of the locos will be running at high speed plus as its a DCC layout I've got an emergency stop

Excellent. 

Just don't make the mistake I once made on a friends layout. They had a nice loco with a very high quality decoder that gave fantastic low speed performance. I parked the loco in a siding. Zero'd the control knob (or so I thought), and we went to lunch. Came back, and found that I'd actually left the knob at just above zero, and the loco had crawled about 200mm in the 40 mins we were eating. Surprised a lot of us! 

J

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a layout room master switch which is always turned off before I leave the railway room, no chance of leaving a soldering iron or anything else, except the room lights which are by the door anyway.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Warren Branch is becoming a very grubby place :o those walls used to be white

906561BE-284F-4BDD-A946-ED0515BA216F.jpeg

Sir Flat’um Capp, The mildly obese controller of Warren Branch isn’t going to be happy when he sees what’s happened to his recently white washed walls 

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I have a layout room master switch which is always turned off before I leave the railway room, no chance of leaving a soldering iron or anything else, except the room lights which are by the door anyway.

Thats a good idea, I am guilty of leaving a soldering on :wacko:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The only shed interior photos I have show Rowsley new shed before receiving its allocation of engines and so is pristine and then after closure with only hose pipes snaking on the floor and enginemen's noticeboard. The other from 1963 has a couple of metal work benches on different heights, the lower one with a vice.

Edited by Rowsley17D
Errant apostrophe
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

.........The other from 1963 has a couple of metal work benches on different heights, the lower one with a vice.

Funny you should say that

They are HO scale so slightly smaller than they should be but the overall effect should be okay

6609E8B2-41BC-43E7-9D75-34979BB90974.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just placed a Modelu figure next to the pillar drill to give the impression of him operating it but unfortunately with the machinery being HO he towers above it so.......

......I’m thinking of drawing up these items and rescaling them by approximately 1.15 times bigger to get them nearer to 1:76 and get them 3D printed in the correct size

Yes I know I’m bonkers but it’s just a thought at this stage

I May be able to modify the pillar drill and bench by increasing the height?

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, pirouets said:

Just a thought - How would HO figures work in that scene as the other option given its a scene you have to look for with the camera or will it bug you because you know its like that which I also get?

Thanks for your input, its something I should consider

but you’re quite right that it would probably bug me (I can’t explain why though)

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I’ve had a look at modifying the pillar drill as the only issue was the height

Its a one piece moulding so first job was to cut out the pillar and drill a 1.6mm diameter hole in all three remaining parts

F4AD37BF-8D3E-4312-89ED-ABA0F57B4B05.jpeg.269415e8d77062db8063dada4170503b.jpeg

DFB8B471-B0E2-4036-9848-33A9C47DF45E.jpeg.c0affbb3225be7b836f028d327d09ef3.jpeg

F6E792FB-43EF-46ED-B8D6-A53F0D762535.jpeg.9f38c9673a53fb5938a8ba0d94901f55.jpeg

next I cut a length of 1.5mm diameter styrene and hey presto

AD9751F6-BFA2-4FBD-A237-981BB2BCC94A.jpeg.c812580afcc8a71b2d33071ef93fbc57.jpeg

Opps I think I may have scaled it wrong :lol:

This is more like it

AB4976F6-CD0A-438B-AB10-7D6F90AAFAB1.jpeg.20656edbfd45812d77af2b8c0fda8303.jpeg

I’ve airbrushed the ‘pillar’ with Tamyia Aluminium so Just waiting for it to dry before assembly

For the bench I can either make new sides to make it taller or position it towards the back of the shed.....forced perspective?

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Okay so I’ve only increased the height by approximately 6mm but it’s a scaled difference of 456mm (nearly 18”)

Its certainly looks a better height now though

C405CC4D-4B9B-497D-ADED-91144244E82A.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I was going to say that when I was a fitter, our Pillar Drill was on a plinth, but obviously that's to late for you now, you clever little So*:good:

Thanks Andy

Our pillar drill at work is mounted directly to the floor and is that old it was probably used by the Trojans to build their horse :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Funny 1