• RMweb Gold

While I was routing around in my odds ‘n s*ds box I came across a set of Kernow fire irons

They are a lot finer and daintier than the Hornby ones so I’ve swapped out the hooks in the wall for ‘bars’ and put them closer together

5C7F1256-6330-4AD6-AFD4-557F4D50FA66.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Fantastic work Chris, the shed is really looking good, well done.

Steve.

Thanks Steve :)

41 minutes ago, pirouets said:

Looks good and I totally get that sometimes we do things that are a compromise that then just annoy us even when we are the only one who knows its there. Looks good.

Thank you.

and it’s reassuring to know I’m not the only one, I was being to wonder if I needed therapy :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell

What year is your model set in? 

I'm not sure about the machines along the side of the shed. In that position would they not get coated in crap from the wheels/cyclinders etc.. every time a loco comes in? Would they not be better positioned at the end of the shed? 

Looking really good. I like what you did to the pillar drill. 

J

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Julia said:

What year is your model set in? 

I'm not sure about the machines along the side of the shed. In that position would they not get coated in crap from the wheels/cyclinders etc.. every time a loco comes in? Would they not be better positioned at the end of the shed? 

Looking really good. I like what you did to the pillar drill. 

J

Nothing specific but mid thirties to early forties, although my stock is GWR it’s a purely fictional location and not meant to be prototypical

However I agree about the machinery positions but I felt the lathe was too much anyway so I’m just going for a couple of benches along the wall, storage shelving on the back wall but I’m thinking of leaving the pillar drill near its current position because I quite like it there (no practical reason other than only it’s more visible through the opening)

Its my first layout so I’m bound to make mistakes and make questionable decisions

Edited by chuffinghell
Spelling correction
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Top stuff once again Chuffers. 

The shed looks spot on. 

Here is a view of the interior of Lyme Regis shed that I will be using for reference. 

They were messy places.  

Oh and don't give a second thought to this first layout/mistakes rubbish. 

Lovely layout and do what looks good to you. 

Rob. 

lyme(john_day7.1962)regis39.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Top stuff once again Chuffers. 

The shed looks spot on. 

Here is a view of the interior of Lyme Regis shed that I will be using for reference. 

They were messy places.  

Oh and don't give a second thought to this first layout/mistakes rubbish. 

Lovely layout and do what looks good to you. 

Rob. 

lyme(john_day7.1962)regis39.jpg

Thanks Rob

Chris

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Nothing specific but mid thirties to early forties, although my stock is GWR it’s a purely fictional location and not meant to be prototypical

However I agree about the machinery positions but I felt the lathe was too much anyway so I’m just going for a couple of benches along the wall, storage shelving on the back wall but I’m thinking of leaving the pillar drill near its current position because I quite like it there (no practical reason other than only it’s more visible through the opening)

Its my first layout so I’m bound to make mistakes and make questionable decisions

I ain't seen any yet young man, it all looks like a Pendon quality job so far.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve not had much spare time this week unfortunately, very frustrating when you’re keen to get things done

Anyway....I hoped that having a rectangular rebate and the interior wall of the shed white would help disguise the back side of the Ratio windows

I was wrong! admittedly they’d possibly look better weathered

77E958AA-020D-4096-841F-1DB303475749.jpeg.853d10cc76dfccc394eb9e4badc13201.jpeg

So I went about butchering a spare window but cutting away the outer frame

FA96B740-016F-4EED-AE8D-88FF8B240EE2.jpeg.971ab5ed6ae1305c3f9a14752d6ff6bc.jpeg

In the meantime I’d drawn up and had printed some new outer frames

C93D6969-5AAF-40F7-8E48-7E0DD03808E6.jpeg.f976e1df968f466d3bdd39705aaa3503.jpeg

Okay, so not perfect but hopefully when weathered and viewed from a distance they look a little better plus its a lot darker inside once the roof is in place

9455EBC6-D077-40E7-800F-20AA6867C170.jpeg.7fb09918736b2afaf2fd3e753f2329a6.jpeg

They are only placed in (precariously balanced) hence the slight lean at the top

Edited by chuffinghell
Spelling correction
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Window popped in just to test the fit and overall look, can’t help but think I’m wasting time concerning myself with things you can hardly see :wacko:

on the other side I might just use the Ratio windows as they are because it will never be viewed from the other side.....but I’ll know and it could potentially drive me bonkers :lol:

8B7BCE58-EF5B-4A8A-8393-6DFC112B0030.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

However, in the last picture, the front wall looks very thin. Can you a second layer, somehow, or a wide door jamb, to disguise this?

Its funny you should mention that because I thought the same after uploading the photo despite being a scaled 6” thick they do look rather thin and weedy

maybe I’ll get away just with gluing a strip on the back and razor sawing in the mortar lines....i say like i know what I'm doing :huh:

I've decided to leave the doors off and just add the hinge bases so it’s probably something I should look at as without the doors it may be more noticeable?

AF681478-3DB6-4396-90F4-26C7887FCC32.jpeg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Window popped in just to test the fit and overall look, can’t help but think I’m wasting time concerning myself with things you can hardly see :wacko:

on the other side I might just use the Ratio windows as they are because it will never be viewed from the other side.....but I’ll know and it could potentially drive me bonkers :lol:

8B7BCE58-EF5B-4A8A-8393-6DFC112B0030.jpeg

Cameras are getting smaller and images are getting sharper, as Stubby says, do it!

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

You do need to do this as it will always annoy you if you don't. 

Plus, any photos of the rear or through the doors will always look fine.

Also thinking about it my intention has always been for the removable section to be a diorama in its own right so potentially it could be photographed from the ‘wall side’ of the layout

• RMweb Gold

This is what will be my potential  operating/viewing position

Would it be feasible to have a gas lamp somewhere in this area?

CC4235D2-8BA3-4EF2-B52D-771411BDB02A.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
Sentence changed to make sense
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Up until late last night fitting the rest of the internal window surrounds

3B4B86DA-A69D-42E7-BF87-B48BEBBA48E4.jpeg.b457077c65fd3bd332b242e9512b3cf7.jpeg

unfortunately with the roof in place a lot is hidden in darkness so the benches etc that I plan to fit inside will be virtually invisible

522A68F0-3833-4220-BC63-D55DBD551CA3.jpeg.1b7535fc109d52cbd0e76ac83f54c0a1.jpeg

I’m going to install a light in the roof space operating at a low voltage just to gently illuminate the interior

now the interior walls are done I can concentrate on the outside painting and weathering

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m going to install a light in the roof space operating at a low voltage just to gently illuminate the interior.

Given that you've added working lights to the pump house, it makes sense to also add them to the shed. A similar outside lamp over the door would probably look right as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ve now made provisions for lighting, the pump house was easier because being enclosed hiding the wiring wasn’t really an issue just a case of making sure the wires couldn’t be seen through a window

My solution for the engine shed (if not a little crude) was to glue a tube as a conduit in the front corner which will be unseen from virtually any viewing angle and will also keep wires away from getting in the way

BEFEF41E-C8D3-4B26-8940-3BE0C2F68E89.jpeg.b44b688106eb0f8bf67c4b1bbb617eb0.jpegE09B1D58-1FC9-4E59-9D5B-1FA6D331C265.jpeg.54aee26be4c1086fb31321b0271b8da5.jpeg

okay so it’s not revolutionary or rocket science :rolleyes: but it works

FE13C129-F5B0-41B9-B760-8C53DD2A0BC2.jpeg.0624316f140df11ab39a94eac33718d0.jpeg

As you can see I’ve started to texture/weather the building, if things progress* at my usual speed I should have the engine shed finished for Christmas :lol:

*Any progress is better than non though

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ve also had a look at point rodding while I had a spare moment. I’m not entirely happy so I’ll come back to that once the engine shed is done

BE17F670-EC5D-48DA-AE6D-1591ABABC311.jpeg

I need to adjust the support centres before I’m completely happy with it, I’m just a fussy so and so

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2