• RMweb Gold
On 23/08/2021 at 22:48, 57xx said:

This thread is evidence you do do the research though.

I try but I do sometimes think it’s better to seek forgiveness than ask for permission :lol:

11 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

You appear to have asked the right questions. This once again shows that fidelity matters to you and is why (I believe) so many follow and contribute here. 

I’d like to think so but it appears that there isn’t really a definitive answer

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Chris, 

Ross on Wye.  Photo as credited. 

ross_conical_tower.jpg.441c853cba909ae8ce1bebe661a69e6c.jpg

Thanks Rob, very helpful indeed

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Has anyone heard from Rob AKA  @MrWolf he seems to have disappeared, I’m getting a little concerned :unsure:

No but he could be away, Chris. It's that time of year. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Has anyone heard from Rob AKA  @MrWolf he seems to have disappeared, I’m getting a little concerned :unsure:

I know he's mentioned that he suffers from CPTSD - I have no idea about his background but his interests made me wonder if he is ex-military (as I am). If he is, then I suspect that like a lot of us he's going through a pretty tough time emotionally with what is going on in Kabul.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Chris, 

Ross on Wye.  Photo as credited. 

ross_conical_tower.jpg.441c853cba909ae8ce1bebe661a69e6c.jpg

Not sure if anyone noticed, there are two fire devils in that pic, hence picking that for a link earlier to show local variations.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Now I’ve decided on what I’m doing i.e not putting the fire devil on a hard standing I’ve redesigned and reprinted all the base components

9F4A2659-8912-49E6-8C90-7D6DB6AB70B6.jpeg.dfd896721924bf91dbf99f82b257ef86.jpeg

The ‘drain surround’ is sized just to take the drain cover and post for attaching the chain and I decided the angle on the tank base was too steep when compared to the photo so it now has a shallow angle, I can just about get away with the larger foot print

Plus in reality it would make sense to have a larger foot print to help distribute the load

31FA6CE4-02B1-40C0-879B-B32DAC55101C.jpeg.d1c5ffd40f1fe44e6d83d4c6b6c8eef9.jpeg

when compared side by side the one with the shallow angle looks more like the photo….we to me at least

73E913F0-F2AC-432A-AF03-308ADE6A8DA3.jpeg.ee0f4e3ee320dc8a8ca37c0572c09bdb.jpeg

I wasn’t going to bother with a slab for the ladder but I reconsidered because it will allow me to ballast the area before fitting the water tower (because I’d probably damage it :blush:)

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 13

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

They look really good Chris.

Al.

Thanks Al

I need to let the base colour fully dry then I can sponge on the other colours like I did before

I'd like to get them glued in place soon so I can ballast (even if it’s just in that area)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m probably boring everyone sh*tless with this water tower for which I apologise

I’ve had a play and wondered if this looked over scale for the level indicator pulley? not sure how small I can print with my printer

5D2901F8-A616-4A14-881F-9F4E76D823C5.jpeg.5382238039ed12a62f08b3c3405386c2.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

It does look a bit on the large side to me.  Could you modify one of those signal cable pulleys maybe?

I could certainly look at that, I’ve found some photos where cable is used instead of chain

The only problem with the cable pulleys are they are very brittle, but I’ll have a go

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

not sure how small I can print with my printer

3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

The only problem with the cable pulleys are they are very brittle, but I’ll have a go

Thin/small. I can get supported detail (stanchions etc) down below 0.2 but it won’t really support itself for cleaning if I try anything self supporting at that thickness on the Elegoo Mars 2P I have. I would expect on an Anycubic Photon you can get down to 0.4mm self supporting without too many issues apart from the one you already identified - prints are super fragile in those thin areas. I have certainly managed this for open wagons with 0.4 and 0.5mm thickness sides and I got those files from people with Photon printers. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

Thin/small. I can get supported detail (stanchions etc) down below 0.2 but it won’t really support itself for cleaning if I try anything self supporting at that thickness on the Elegoo Mars 2P I have. I would expect on an Anycubic Photon you can get down to 0.4mm self supporting without too many issues apart from the one you already identified - prints are super fragile in those thin areas. I have certainly managed this for open wagons with 0.4 and 0.5mm thickness sides and I got those files from people with Photon printers. 

I'm upgrading to a photon mono which should be a vast improvement over the photon zero

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I was told it was tall

A0970AA1-EE66-46FA-BC70-5BA95D08AA64.jpeg.45c08a391977699735597b9e11d13b8c.jpeg

I’m currently formulating a plan based on the many photos that have been posted

Many thanks to everyone who has posted photos, it’s appreciated and I’m very grateful

Also grateful for everyone’s help and suggestions :good:

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I was told it was tall

A0970AA1-EE66-46FA-BC70-5BA95D08AA64.jpeg.45c08a391977699735597b9e11d13b8c.jpeg

I’m currently formulating a plan based on the many photos that have been posted

Many thanks to everyone who has posted photos, it’s appreciated and I’m very grateful

Also grateful for everyone’s help and suggestions :good:

We often forget just how tall things are in the real world cos we only ever see them from the ground. 

This is most often seen by modellers because we get the frees too short... 

J

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The plan

Having studied the photos the main thing I've noticed is that the Ratio kit has a dished bottom (oh marton) which appears to be for tanks with a universal column ('H' section)

1456140291_Hcolumn.jpg.be80cfe2b9a2b96f6f6ed7a97f1e05f8.jpg

Water tanks with a circular column appear to have a flat bottom with triangular ribs similar to the Dapol version

file0505a.jpg.bd05b8d6c3337bca67fae95d2fc6637b.jpg.1a1c17b343d967b276d4c365533a09d9.jpg

So I've had a play and come up with a hybrid so I can still use a lot of the parts from the Raito kit plus I've reduced the height by 6mm which to me looks better, oh and I've added the level indicator pulley (much smaller than the last one I printed) and use cotton instead of chain

tank.jpg.bfc3684d55a9cb33463d316ab60307ef.jpg

tank2.jpg.1a600d122d73c458629dd2ce870a46a0.jpg

It's only a drawing at the moment but it will soon be on its way to the printer, it might work or it might not but "he who dares wins Rodney"

It may or may not be right but I've put a lot of work/time into doing the drawing so it at least worth a try

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

I do think the North Eastern got the proportions better, but the one at Wearhead must have thought it was a church with it's weather vane... 

No need for a fire devil with these, there was a fire grate incorporated in the column although you can't see it in this shot, it's round the other side.

75 NER Water Tank Wearhead station (Fleetwood Shawe)029

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I imagine there would have been different size tanks depending on how much water they'd expect to need- so maybe a small terminus like Warren would have had a smaller tank than a big junction? (In other words, allowing you to have whichever size looks best!)

Height of the arm is probably more important, to reach the tanks on your biggest loco...