• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Expanding foam, used sparingly, then trimmed flat once it's dried, then polyfiller on top.

Never thought of that, good idea.

Unfortunately I’ve already glued in some 9mm thick polystyrene sheets leaving approximately 3mm to fill with filler

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 22/10/2021 at 22:33, Alister_G said:

Canal builders, in best Victorian tradition, used to dig straight through the original contours of the land where it suited them.

Al.

For the later canals e.g. Shropshire Union, yes; but earlier ‘contour’ canals e.g. Oxford wandered about all over the place.

Warren must be early!

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

For the later canals e.g. Shropshire Union, yes; but earlier ‘contour’ canals e.g. Oxford wandered about all over the place.

Warren must be early!

Paul.

I thought that but it’s too late now, I’ve reshaped the landscape but it has given a little more yard to play with…..

0FE76BA2-6597-4337-B2B7-9C0DC3682676.jpeg.4b649e2d13860645774ddfbbea8985c4.jpeg

….just needs a final skim tomorrow and maybe a light sanding towards the end of the week 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I know it’s eventually going to get covered up but my baseboard is a right bl**dy mess, it’s embarrassing :blush:

It’s mostly weathering powder which gets everywhere, especially when you knock the bottle over :rolleyes:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I know it’s eventually going to get covered up but my baseboard is a right bl**dy mess, it’s embarrassing :blush:

It’s mostly weathering powder which gets everywhere, especially when you knock the bottle over :rolleyes:

Pah, that's nothing..

1912455314_20211026_1512092.jpg.351274150eef87d60650b27e08b2c993.jpg

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

On 23/10/2021 at 18:25, Andrew P said:

Something like this.

1020828672_Untitled2.png.02b5052d88b9977ed9d72bd7e67e2301.png

The thing I would be weary about with something like this is the station is small. It's the end of a minor line. It's not some massive inner city terminus. As such the cost is going to be watched greatly. Any chance to cut costs will be taken. Bricks are expensive. Bricks have always been expensive. Laying them is expensive. So anything that can be done to avoid their use, is going to be taken.

J

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Julia said:

The thing I would be weary about with something like this is the station is small. It's the end of a minor line. It's not some massive inner city terminus. As such the cost is going to be watched greatly. Any chance to cut costs will be taken. Bricks are expensive. Bricks have always been expensive. Laying them is expensive. So anything that can be done to avoid their use, is going to be taken.

J

that’s a good enough reason for me to stick with a simple embankment

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Chris, I like the look of those shelves you've got your stock on above the layout, did you build them yourself or are they available anywhere? 

It was a purchased item off Amazon, I’ll see if I can find the link for you

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I'm probably going to go for something like that too, I've had no luck scrounging up any suitable timber, (We seem to have a very low quality of builders skip around here) and by the time I have bought timber and fixings and put it all together....

• RMweb Gold
On 26/10/2021 at 19:59, chuffinghell said:

that’s a good enough reason for me to stick with a simple embankment

Remember that in the 1930s the Government offered the railways financial support in an effort to create more employment. You could easily say that building a relatively small retaining wall to enable a cramped yard to be expanded was carried out under that scheme. If you wanted…

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Thanks Chris :good:

can’t find the exact one but this if from the same German manufacturer, it appears the prices have gone up quite a bit since we left the EU

V-26A Wall Showcase Cabinet (about: 31,50' x 22,83' x 3,45') 80 cm x 58 cm x 8,5 cm, Wood, With Grooves, 2 clear plexiglasses sliding panes which open in both directions, Model Railway, ideal for wall mounting in reception areas, showrooms and shops https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CEBSQSG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_YZ3Z9EGB1E7G2GRDEYMZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Very interesting, a a penny under £50 that's very good. It says that they have them in the UK and are shipped from the UK, but £30 postage? I've posted car gearboxes for less.

When I bought mine postage was half that and it came directly from the manufacturer (via Amazon) admitted it cost me £60 plus the postage but it’s nearly twice the length of the one in the link

• Informative/Useful 1